Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger Installation: Driveway Ideas??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a thread on garage installations but I’m planning on putting the charger by the driveway. Did a quick google search and found a few neat ideas but thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone has tackled this project lately. I’m getting my model 3 on Thursday and have already run the cable (hoping this might save me some money on installation costs). Will work on it this weekend. BTW any recommendations for installers are welcome-I’m in Mississauga.

Here’s one I’m leaning towards.

9E07ADF1-45C1-419A-920F-8DA5300AE50E.png

I know there is a thread on garage installations but I’m planning on putting the charger by the driveway. Did a quick google search and found a few neat ideas but thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone has tackled this project lately. I’m getting my model 3 on Thursday and have already run the cable (hoping this might save me some money on installation costs). Will work on it this weekend. BTW any recommendations for installers are welcome-I’m in Mississauga.

Here’s one I’m leaning towards.

View attachment 330462
Very nice and if so inclined add the charger to PluShare as I have met several nice people that way.

Are they weather-proof/ water-proof??? That's a whole lot of electrical power to allow exposure to the elements... not to mention possibility of damage while outside a garage.

NA model is IP44 (ugggg - you may want to protect this one).

EU model is IP55, don't go hosing it down or submerging it into a pool ;). If you're serious though, you can home make an IP67 enclosure fairly easily or simply build a small wood roof to protect from rain.

IP Ratings; What is IP69K? Questions and Answers | Avery Weigh-Tronix

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ll-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v1.pdf
upload_2018-8-31_11-17-32.png

NA model is IP44 (ugggg - you may want to protect this one).

EU model is IP55, don't go hosing it down or submerging it into a pool ;). If you're serious though, you can home make an IP67 enclosure fairly easily or simply build a small wood roof to protect from rain.

IP Ratings; What is IP69K? Questions and Answers | Avery Weigh-Tronix

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ll-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v1.pdf
View attachment 330631

Interesting! Thanks for the information!

Are they weather-proof/ water-proof??? That's a whole lot of electrical power to allow exposure to the elements... not to mention possibility of damage while outside a garage.

They are not waterproof, if they get submerged - but then if that's happening you've probably got a whole lot of other problems to boot. However, they are water and weather resistant. I've had mine mounted outside for a couple of years now and never had a problem - even when the evestrough got backed up in the last major rainstorm and basically was dumping water right on top of the charger. Don't forget it's on a circuit breaker, so the odds of everything going wrong is very small.

Nice! Saw this in a google search. Have u had any issues with the elements and your charger?

My original charger developed a cracked plastic connector. I just wanted to replace the cord but Tesla insisted on sending an electrician with a brand new version 2 charger at no cost. This cracked connector was due to a heat problem and not the elements.

Reactions: TrevTremaine