Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger or 3rd party?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting my 14-50 outlet installed on Tuesday. I’m torn between the Tesla charger ($495) and a third party charger (JuiceBox $649 - $250 electric co credit so $400). The JuiceBox is 40 amp with all kinds of control. Thoughts?

JuiceBox 40 Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station with WiFi - 40 amp Level 2 EVSE, 25-Foot Cable, UL & Energy Star Certified, Indoor/Outdoor Use (NEMA 14-50 Plug, Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZL4168...t_i_4YCYC0HJNR0J8HP6E7N7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You neither need nor want a 14-50 outlet if you plan to get the Tesla HPWC. You'll be spending $75 or more for a decent quality 14-50 outlet, another $100-$200 for a GFCI breaker for that outlet(which is unnecessary for an HPWC), and even be running an extra conductor(HPWC only needs two hots and ground, unlike the 14-50).

All that said, unless you take lots of trips where you'll NEED the mobile charger or you really NEED the extra speed of an HPWC(48 amps, but make sure the electrician uses sufficiently large wire... 60 amp) or the Juicebox(40 amps), there's no need for ANY extra charging equipment at all. 32 amp charging is more than enough for most people.

You neither need nor want a 14-50 outlet if you plan to get the Tesla HPWC. You'll be spending $75 or more for a decent quality 14-50 outlet, another $100-$200 for a GFCI breaker for that outlet(which is unnecessary for an HPWC), and even be running an extra conductor(HPWC only needs two hots and ground, unlike the 14-50).

All that said, unless you take lots of trips where you'll NEED the mobile charger or you really NEED the extra speed of an HPWC(48 amps, but make sure the electrician uses sufficiently large wire... 60 amp) or the Juicebox(40 amps), there's no need for ANY extra charging equipment at all. 32 amp charging is more than enough for most people.
But what about setting up charging schedules for when my energy cost is cheaper? For me, it’s from 8p - 3p and all weekends and holidays.

But what about setting up charging schedules for when my energy cost is cheaper? For me, it’s from 8p - 3p and all weekends and holidays.
Scheduled Charging is part of the Tesla Software Suite . I would either stay with the included mobile charger or go with the HPWC. Both have built-in GFI and will give you all the features of 3rd party chargers. And you don't have to mess with the J1772 adapter every time you want to charge.

The tesla wall connector does not have any ability to schedule anything. Its a dumb device that provides power. The tesla solution for scheduled charging is in the car, not the wall connector.

you also DO NOT want both a 14-50 outlet and a tesla wall connector. There is virtually no reason to do that at all. If you want to use a 14-50 outlet, just use the mobile connector that comes in the car.

If you are putting in an EVSE (tesla wall connector or otherwise) you do not need to put in a 14-50 outlet, really. The reason they come that way is for people who already have an outlet for some reason, in the place they want, or, for people who are thinking "I am going to move fairly soon, and I want to take this with me, and if it is a plug in type I can easily take it with me."

Since you are getting it newly installed, pick one (either outlet and the included mobile connector, or hard wired with tesla or other wall connector). There isnt any real point to both install new and also by a plug in wall connector.

Based on reading some other posts, it seems (for now) I'll be just fine using the included charger. I ordered the 14-50 NEMA adapter for it this morning. I'll just keep the Tesla J1772 adapter in the car. If we are heading out of town on a trip, then I'll grab the charger and throw it in the car.
At 30 miles per hour charging, that should be more than adequate for our needs. If I feel we need to upgrade to a standard wall mounted charger, then I guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

Based on reading some other posts, it seems (for now) I'll be just fine using the included charger. I ordered the 14-50 NEMA adapter for it this morning. I'll just keep the Tesla J1772 adapter in the car. If we are heading out of town on a trip, then I'll grab the charger and throw it in the car.
At 30 miles per hour charging, that should be more than adequate for our needs. If I feel we need to upgrade to a standard wall mounted charger, then I guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to.
Sensible, and a good choice.

Reactions: T-J-
If you are putting in a 14-50 outlet, the Tesla mobile connector that comes with the car plus a 14-50 plug adapter will give you a basic 32A EVSE, which is probably the lowest cost option.

The Tesla wall connector can give up to 48A if the wiring and breaker are suitable. It is hard wired, so no outlet needed.

J1772 EVSEs usually are not that price competitive to comparable Tesla EVSEs, so they would only be favorable for Tesla drivers if they come with extra features you want, or you also want to charge J1772 EVs without a third-party J1772 adapter. (Don't get a Siemens Versicharge.)

Reactions: jjrandorin
Wondering about this, too. I just bought a home and put in a 14-50 and bought the Tesla adapter to use with the cable that came with the car but am curious as to whether or not there’s a better, reasonable alternative.
If you just need 32A basic charging for a Tesla, that is likely the most cost effective choice.

If you want more than 32A charging, more EVSE features, need to have the mobile connector in the car all the time or frequently, or also need to charge a J1772 EV, those could be situations where some other EVSE (Tesla wall connector or some J1772 EVSE) may be indicated.