Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger question ... replacing a Juicebox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I finally got my 1st Tesla last week ... a LR Model Y. We built a new house about 5 years ago and at that time I knew that I would be going electric so I had 220 installed in the garage, it's on a regular Nema outlet with a 50amp breaker. I've had a Chevy Volt for the last 3 years and I've been using a Juicebox charger (that plugs into the NEMA connector) that has served me well. We are keeping the Volt but instead of using the adapter for the Tesla I just purchased a Tesla charger and will purchase an adapter for the volt.. My question is pretty simple: I got the Tesla charger that needs to be hardwired, I'm sure that is an easy job for any electrician but I'm curious if I should expect better performance from the the Tesla charger since it's going to be hardwired? Currently, my model Y has been charging around 36MPH. I could also look into going to a 60amp breaker but I think that would require pulling new wire and could get expensive and I'm not sure the 4-5MPH bump would be worth it. In any case, and idea about the hardwired performance?

Thanks in advance

The performance for a given amps is going to be exactly the same no matter what charging equipment you use. So, no, if you dont change the breaker or wires, the performance will be exactly the same, and there really wasnt any reason to switch from the juicebox since one car is going to use an adapter anyway no matter what you do.

Hi All,

I finally got my 1st Tesla last week ... a LR Model Y. We built a new house about 5 years ago and at that time I knew that I would be going electric so I had 220 installed in the garage, it's on a regular Nema outlet with a 50amp breaker. I've had a Chevy Volt for the last 3 years and I've been using a Juicebox charger (that plugs into the NEMA connector) that has served me well. We are keeping the Volt but instead of using the adapter for the Tesla I just purchased a Tesla charger and will purchase an adapter for the volt.. My question is pretty simple: I got the Tesla charger that needs to be hardwired, I'm sure that is an easy job for any electrician but I'm curious if I should expect better performance from the the Tesla charger since it's going to be hardwired? Currently, my model Y has been charging around 36MPH. I could also look into going to a 60amp breaker but I think that would require pulling new wire and could get expensive and I'm not sure the 4-5MPH bump would be worth it. In any case, and idea about the hardwired performance?

Thanks in advance
My Tesla charger charges at 49 miles an hour. It is rated 44 miles an hour.

Ok ... this might not make sense to do. I've been getting 40amps of charging but when I charged it would end charging early ... I'm thinking it's because the plug is getting hot. I did read somewhere that this could happen ... then again it could be something totally different. I'll probably go ahead and get the Tesla charger as we are also getting a Model 3 soon and I'm giving the Volt to my daughter. I'm calling around and getting some pretty sky high quotes for upgrading to a 60amp circuit as it will require pulling new wire. The performance upgrade from 50-60 amp circuit is about 6 MPH so I'll have to keep that in mind ... we don't drive a lot and 36MPH is way more than enough. Just hardwiring the Tesla charger into the exiting plug is not very expensive so I may just leave it at that for now.

It charges at 48 amps also. I failed to mention that earlier.
Ok ... this might not make sense to do. I've been getting 40amps of charging but when I charged it would end charging early ... I'm thinking it's because the plug is getting hot. I did read somewhere that this could happen ... then again it could be something totally different. I'll probably go ahead and get the Tesla charger as we are also getting a Model 3 soon and I'm giving the Volt to my daughter. I'm calling around and getting some pretty sky high quotes for upgrading to a 60amp circuit as it will require pulling new wire. The performance upgrade from 50-60 amp circuit is about 6 MPH so I'll have to keep that in mind ... we don't drive a lot and 36MPH is way more than enough. Just hardwiring the Tesla charger into the exiting plug is not very expensive so I may just leave it at that for now.

It charges at 48 amps also. I failed to mention that earlier.
Are you on a 50 or 60 amp circuit?

EDIT: You have to be on a 60 amp circuit. After doing a little more research it's clear to me that physics and safety step in so they can only deliver 80% of the rated breaker. SO ... 48amps indicates a 60 amp circuit and my 50 amp circuit will only hit 40amps. I can live with 36 MPH of charging .... I'll see what kind of quotes I get to upgrade but it's probably not a very good use of $$.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Yes, your current setup should get 40a. I was thinking in terms of the monile connector on the 14-50, not the juice box.

Yes, you will get the same performance either way.

I don’t think it should end early, but would reduce the current of it gets hot.

I'm not actually sure why it ended early? I just got a message that it did from the Tesla app and noticed we had about 234 miles on it .. which is still lower than I believe it should get to with 80% capacity charging. In any case, I'm just going to put in the Tesla hardwired charger as we will be a 2 Tesla family soon enough. :)

Reactions: kayak1 and brkaus
I'm not actually sure why it ended early? I just got a message that it did from the Tesla app and noticed we had about 234 miles on it .. which is still lower than I believe it should get to with 80% capacity charging. In any case, I'm just going to put in the Tesla hardwired charger as we will be a 2 Tesla family soon enough. :)
So you don't even really know if it ended early :)

234 miles at 80% would imply a 100% range of 292.5, well within the expected range for a model 3 with some degradation.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Are you on a 50 or 60 amp circuit?

EDIT: You have to be on a 60 amp circuit. After doing a little more research it's clear to me that physics and safety step in so they can only deliver 80% of the rated breaker. SO ... 48amps indicates a 60 amp circuit and my 50 amp circuit will only hit 40amps. I can live with 36 MPH of charging .... I'll see what kind of quotes I get to upgrade but it's probably not a very good use of $$.
60 amp circuit.

Nice. You can get a $550 wall connector for $800! Am I missing something?

It's likely that the Tesla online store is frequently out of stock. During those times, the only way to purchase one is to pay the marked up price to others. It's pretty easy to put a stock alert on the Tesla online store to get notified of the next shipment of inventory though, so no real reason to pay the inflated prices of these scalpers.

It's likely that the Tesla online store is frequently out of stock. During those times, the only way to purchase one is to pay the marked up price to others. It's pretty easy to put a stock alert on the Tesla online store to get notified of the next shipment of inventory though, so no real reason to pay the inflated prices of these scalpers.
They come back in stock pretty frequently. I'd rather wait than buy from a non-authorized place in case any issues come up.

Perhaps the scalpers are adding to the shortages.