Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
I have this Clipper/Sun Country charger which I have been using for my Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volts. It works fine but I have to constantly remind myself to not leave the $120+ adapter on it as I may need it if charging in the “wild”. I’m considering getting a Tesla charger and would like to NOT disrupt the building setup with the dryer plug.

So here is my question: Can I set up a Tesla charger with a dryer plug end on it? Has anyone done this? Pictures if yes?

Attachments

• 2D96A94A-4880-4D35-B96D-D26F702AFD89.jpeg
    2D96A94A-4880-4D35-B96D-D26F702AFD89.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 73
No problem setting it up with a dryer plug. Just order a dryer cable from Amazon. Install it on the wall charger and make sure to set it to a max charge of 30A, the max for a dryer outlet. Also set your max charge in the car to 28A.
I have done this setup exactly for one of our club members.

No problem setting it up with a dryer plug. Just order a dryer cable from Amazon. Install it on the wall charger and make sure to set it to a max charge of 30A, the max for a dryer outlet. Also set your max charge in the car to 28A.
I have done this setup exactly for one of our club members.
Thank you @mrElbe ! In the meantime, I order an extra r J-1772 adapter. If I were to get a Tesla wall charger, would you be willing to help me set it up? I’m at Lawrence and DVP, just walking distance to the Tesla store.

There is a locking ring that is meant to keep Tesla’s from being unplugged at J1772 plugs, but if you want to lock the adapter on while not charging I’m not sure if that locking ring would do the trick.
There are some chargers that have a loop to put a pad lock through on the release of the charging handle.so you could lock your J1772 on the handle
I have circled and put an arrow to where the padlock could go.

616460736.jpg

The locking ring I think you are talking about would only work if plugged into the car.

51gqyXO+RHS._AC_SL1140_.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a public plug or dedicated just to whatever charger you choose to plug into it (do you still have the Volts?)? It looks like a cheap Home Depot grade dryer plug, so constantly swapping it back to the J1772 will wear it out fairly quickly.

Is that a public plug or dedicated just to whatever charger you choose to plug into it (do you still have the Volts?)? It looks like a cheap Home Depot grade dryer plug, so constantly swapping it back to the J1772 will wear it out fairly quickly.
It a dedicated charger (mine) which I had installed in my parking spot. For now the J-1772 adapter works fine and I order another one. The M3 locks the adapter to the Tesla port and I like the idea of securing on the Sun Country charger. The Volts are gone so just the M3.

Reactions: Vawlkus
There are some chargers that have a loop to put a pad lock through on the release of the charging handle.so you could lock your J1772 on the handle
I have circled and put an arrow to where the padlock could go.

View attachment 738680

The locking ring I think you are talking about would only work if plugged into the car.

View attachment 738673
Great ideas. Thank you.

Reactions: Vawlkus