Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger v other brands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which trim line? If long range, it can charge up to 48 amps. I think the Tesla Wall Connector is the only one that can do that, but it needs a 60A breaker. Other brands are limited to either 40A (with a 50A breaker) or 32A. If you're getting a SR or SR+, it's limited to 32A, so there's virtually no benefit to the Tesla WC.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi k8snm,

To me the biggest advantage of the Tesla charger is that it has the Tesla connector. You don't have to deal with the adapter to J1772. When you press the button on the Tesla charger connector the charge port door opens automatically, no need to open it form the app or the screen. You cannot do that with another charger.

I have a 60amp circuit which I installed in case I ever decide to buy a Tesla Wall Charger. In the meantime I'm using a Gen 1 Mobile Charger that can charge at up to 40amps, which has been more than adequate. I tend to charge mostly at Superchargers as I have it free for the life on the S and X.

Hi k8snm,

To me the biggest advantage of the Tesla charger is that it has the Tesla connector.

You have to be careful, he is in the U.K. They use neither J1772 nor the Tesla connector, and have a whole encyclopedia of other things to know.

Any advantages to purchasing the Tesla wall charger in the UK?

The Tesla chargers have a button that operates a radio beacon to open the charge port door. Its quite convenient. You can also tap the door to open it.

They will in the future support power-sharing via a wifi update, but other than that it is just looks.

Hi k8snm,

To me the biggest advantage of the Tesla charger is that it has the Tesla connector. You don't have to deal with the adapter to J1772. When you press the button on the Tesla charger connector the charge port door opens automatically, no need to open it form the app or the screen. You cannot do that with another charger.

I have a 60amp circuit which I installed in case I ever decide to buy a Tesla Wall Charger. In the meantime I'm using a Gen 1 Mobile Charger that can charge at up to 40amps, which has been more than adequate. I tend to charge mostly at Superchargers as I have it free for the life on the S and X.

He's in the UK. UK uses CCS, is that not correct?