Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chargers Now in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now you can drive from Phoenix, Tucson, and other Cities to the beach resort town of Puerto Penasco, MX. Is about 200 mile drive from central Phoenix, and only 65 miles from the border and very safe. My daughters regularly drive down with my grandkids.

The chargers are at the Sonoran Sun resort on Sandy Beach. Available free for owners and guests, and a small charge for others.. There are two chargers for Teslas and one for other electric cars.

Jim

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Just saw this after I happened to look up on Tesla Destination Charger search today. Great to know. I was begging for one of the resorts to get some put in. Thought and hoped it would be Las Paloma's, where I usually stay. But Sonoran Sun is fine if they do allow others to charge for a nominal fee...

Any idea how much that fee is?

We met a fellow owner down there this weekend that used the destination charger at Sonoran Sun. He was not staying there so they charged him $20 for two hours or $50 for a full charge. (US$ not Mx peso). We informed him that he would've been better off to drive half mile down to the RV park and pay $20 for the same thing.

He also commented that the charger was slow (14A) but I have no way to confirm this as it was word-of-mouth.

I drove from Downey, Ca to Puerto Penasco this weekend. I fully charged in El Centro before crossing the border. I then went to charge at the Mexicali Location on Calzada Cetys, just to be fully charged before driving out to Penasco. Being this was my first time driving long range and was very nervous about the drive. There was a couple of chargers at the Calzada Cetys in Mexicali and none of them worked. I then headed out and arrived to Puerto Penasco with 40 miles left. I headed to the Charging station at Sonoran Sun. The place has 24 hour security guard at entrance, There is 2 Tesla charges and 1 more standard charging station where you can use your adapter to charge. The Charging fee is $20 for 2 hours or $50 for a full charge. The charging stations are super slow, no super charge available and a full charge took 12 hours. I was staying at penasco del sol hotel, I had to leave the car over night, took a taxi to my hotel. Taxi charge me $20 each way, total money spent $90. For future, I will not take my Tesla long range drive. It took me 10 hours to get back home, compared to a 7 hour drive with a regular gas car.

I drove from Downey, Ca to Puerto Penasco this weekend. I fully charged in El Centro before crossing the border. I then went to charge at the Mexicali Location on Calzada Cetys, just to be fully charged before driving out to Penasco. Being this was my first time driving long range and was very nervous about the drive. There was a couple of chargers at the Calzada Cetys in Mexicali and none of them worked. I then headed out and arrived to Puerto Penasco with 40 miles left. I headed to the Charging station at Sonoran Sun. The place has 24 hour security guard at entrance, There is 2 Tesla charges and 1 more standard charging station where you can use your adapter to charge. The Charging fee is $20 for 2 hours or $50 for a full charge. The charging stations are super slow, no super charge available and a full charge took 12 hours. I was staying at penasco del sol hotel, I had to leave the car over night, took a taxi to my hotel. Taxi charge me $20 each way, total money spent $90. For future, I will not take my Tesla long range drive. It took me 10 hours to get back home, compared to a 7 hour drive with a regular gas car.
There are now quite a few EV level 2 chargers in Puerto Penasco. Best choice is Sonoran Spa with two 10kw level 2 Tesla chargers and one 7kw NEMA 14-50. They also have a Siemens 48amp Versicharger, for non Tesla's.
Only available for Owners and renters. No charge for Owners or renters.

Reactions: hobapolis
There are now quite a few EV level 2 chargers in Puerto Penasco. Best choice is Sonoran Spa with two 10kw level 2 Tesla chargers and one 7kw NEMA 14-50. They also have a Siemens 48amp Versicharger, for non Tesla's.
Only available for Owners and renters. No charge for Owners or renters.
Thanks for this. We're going in August and will likely stay at the Sonoran Spa specifically for the chargers. I just hope they're not too busy. We're doing a Thursday to Monday to hopefully get a charging spot on Thursday when we arrive.

Thanks for this. We're going in August and will likely stay at the Sonoran Spa specifically for the chargers. I just hope they're not too busy. We're doing a Thursday to Monday to hopefully get a charging spot on Thursday when we arrive.
I recommend bringing your portable charger that came with the car and your nema 14-50 plug. I always travel with that just in case, but the Spa only allows using the EV charging area only while charging, so chance of one being available when you arrive is virtually 100%. 2 Tesla's and one NEMA 14-50 available. On Plugshare site.
I generally charge to about 220-230 miles in Gila Bend, to do the 145 mile trip down to RP. Some rough road and some uphill will burn some battery on the way down.
August is hot and humid, just a fyi.

Reactions: hobapolis
I recommend bringing your portable charger that came with the car and your nema 14-50 plug. I always travel with that just in case, but the Spa only allows using the EV charging area only while charging, so chance of one being available when you arrive is virtually 100%. 2 Tesla's and one NEMA 14-50 available. On Plugshare site.
I generally charge to about 220-230 miles in Gila Bend, to do the 145 mile trip down to RP. Some rough road and some uphill will burn some battery on the way down.
August is hot and humid, just a fyi.
Thanks. Yep the charger never leaves my frunk. I’ll report back on the experience.

Going in August, look forward to your update!
Took pic of chargers last time I was down at the Spa. Nice area for charging.
File May 24, 12 47 46 PM.png