Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging "cable" only replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a used "as is" Tesla mobile charger on Ebay. It doesnt work, the car tells me the cable is bad which makes sense as the cable is in rough shape. The box turns green when powered on and appears to be functional. Everything seems to work correctly including the plug into the car but the cable itself isnt functioning, I believe.

Does anyone know where to get replacement cable for the charger itself, that I can splice between the powerbox and the plug for the car, or how to troubleshoot farther?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
upload_2017-12-6_15-6-54.png

Not sure if this may help. I was looking to purchase a known bad UMC myself and reached out to Quick Charge Power | Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions for some ideas.
I received an email from Tony where he mention to send in and they can test for free. You may can contact them and get pricing on splicing or the parts to do it yourself. I would also ensure the communication wires on the bottom of the plug are in good shape and there is no corrosion. Also, I would try a known good adapter on the front end of the charger just in case one of the adapters you received was in fact bad. I believe that those adapters communicate with the car in order to know what amps to draw from the charger.

I cannot speak directly about the Tesla EVSE, but I own a J1772 EVSE with a broken latch. I was unable to source a handle, and I was told by the great folks at EVSEupgrade.com that due to extremely tight engineering specs and proprietary doodads between the handle and the cable to prevent water vapor intrusion into the circuit, handle replacement was impossible to do safely.

Last edited:
Impossible to do safely? That's interesting, Also I didn't know that it was waterproof but that makes sense.

I think what I am hearing is to change it out to j1772 and get an adapter to the Tesla connector.

Yeah, that would work, but I was considering a 100 amp rated one (80 amps delivered) to take full advantage of the HPWC. On the other hand, they also sell a replacement Tesla wand or I could just set the HPWC DIP switches to 40 amps.

I picked up the HPWC with melted handle for next to nothing, so it is really just more of a spare time project to see if I can get it going, then find a home for it.

Yeah, that would work, but I was considering a 100 amp rated one (80 amps delivered) to take full advantage of the HPWC. On the other hand, they also sell a replacement Tesla wand or I could just set the HPWC DIP switches to 40 amps.

I picked up the HPWC with melted handle for next to nothing, so it is really just more of a spare time project to see if I can get it going, then find a home for it.
Yup, the 80a is harder to find. Most are 32a.

J1772 Plug, replacement J1772

Only source I could find. $$.

Yeah, but $300 is a bit rich. They also have a Tesla handle with pigtail for $70 which is probably what I'll do.

I really wish there was a cheap Tesla to J1772 adapter (like the reverse of the one Tesla gives you with the car) so I could use my HPWC with other EVs. I realize these guys have cobbled something together, but at $400 it's almost as much as the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter!

I have a reservation on a Model 3, but my wife does not really like sedans, especially small sedans. I am leaning towards the Bolt because it is a similar form factor (high hatch) that she drives now, but that leaves me with a charging dilemma. Wish Tesla had done the Model Y first.

Yeah, but $300 is a bit rich. They also have a Tesla handle with pigtail for $70 which is probably what I'll do.

I really wish there was a cheap Tesla to J1772 adapter (like the reverse of the one Tesla gives you with the car) so I could use my HPWC with other EVs. I realize these guys have cobbled something together, but at $400 it's almost as much as the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter!
The two guys that do a Podcast from the Tesla Model 3 Club did a demo and video on a reversed J1772 adapter recently. They showed plugging the HPWC into another EV with the adapter. Sorry, I can't find the video or a better link to it. But it does exist, just like you want.

The two guys that do a Podcast from the Tesla Model 3 Club did a demo and video on a reversed J1772 adapter recently. They showed plugging the HPWC into another EV with the adapter. Sorry, I can't find the video or a better link to it. But it does exist, just like you want.
I think the key word in @mknox 's reply was "cheap". The adapter that is available is way overpriced at $399. Was the one you saw the video more reasonably priced? I think for many, $100 would be a fair price. $400, not so much.

Last edited:
I think the key word in @mknox 's reply was "cheap". The adapter that is available is way overpriced at $399. Was the one you saw the video more reasonably priced? I think for many, $100 would be a fair price. $400, not so much.

Exactly. I think $100 would be close to reasonable. The adapter that Quick Charge Power sells also looks like a kludge with two parts wired together. An integrated adapter like the Tesla J1772 adapter (only reversed) would be ideal.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I picked up a used HPWC with the handle melted and plan to do exactly that. Just need to source a J1772 handle I can splice in.
Exactly. I think $100 would be close to reasonable. The adapter that Quick Charge Power sells also looks like a kludge with two parts wired together. An integrated adapter like the Tesla J1772 adapter (only reversed) would be ideal.
There was one on ebay a few weeks ago.