TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Charging Cable Organizer vs Amazon alternative?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jsmay311, Jul 28, 2018.

1. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I’m wondering if anyone out there has first-hand experience with both the Tesla Cable Organizer and this similar product on Amazon (or other similar-looking offerings on Amazon) and could share their assessments of each?

Is one or the other of better quality? Does the “holster” work better/worse on either?

The Amazon product has good reviews and I could have it in 2 days instead of 4+ weeks, so I’m leaning in that direction. But I’d be happy to wait for the Tesla version if there’s any good reason to do so. (This would be for use with the UMC.)

Thanks! :)

Tesla:
    upload_2018-7-28_10-5-52.png

"Amazon":
    upload_2018-7-28_10-32-46.png

2. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I got one from Amazon because I didn't want to wait. It looks exactly the same as the one that Tesla sells.

• Like x 1
  3. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

There’s someone on here selling the tesla one and you would be able to have it sonner.

4. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I ordered one from Tesla last Sunday and it shipped the next day. I will have it delivered Tuesday so it took a little over a week.

5. Dallas701

Dallas701 Member

They looked pretty much the same. I got the Tesla one and it only took little over a week to received it. Website stated 4 weeks.

6. Regenshire

Regenshire Member

I just ordered one from Tesla and had it in under a week, it arrived yesterday. The website stated 4 weeks, but I think that is just boiler plate text they have up for all products right now. Works well.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I've got a plastic garden hose holder from Home Depot, it works great. It even holds my J-1772 cord at the same time.

For most folks, you can get one even quicker than Amazon.

8. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

So no one who's tried out both?

(Since it's something I'll probably be using literally thousands of times, maybe I'll just try out both and give the one I like less to my soon-to-be-Tesla-owning brother. :D)

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Use gecko toes from amazon plenty of pics on this site it holds cables nicely

10. 3inthree

3inthree Supporting Member

I bought the "Topfit" one from Amazon because the Tesla one was out of stock at the time. The topfit unit works perfectly and was easy to install.

• Like x 1
  11. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

are these necessary? I only ask because I was just thinking about getting something from Home Depot that I can wrap the cord around and just the plug just hang. Does the end that plugs into the Tesla need to be hidden into something for protection?

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

In general you want the plug to be clean by putting in holder it prevents bugs / dirt from getting in handle

• Like x 2
  13. Dallas701

Dallas701 Member

Any hook with do, even just a long nail on the wall. These are just fancy cord organizer and they look neat and nice.

14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I have the Tesla organizer for my Model 3 and while it helps organize the cable the adapter won't stay in the holder.
    Simply falls out and I've had others try too and they have no luck either. Nothing looks broken.
    So that feature, at least for me, is useless but is not really a problem.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

thanks for the picture. I got something from home depot for like $5 that will do the same thing. I do understand keeping it clean though too which just leaving it hanging will not do. I wonder if I could some kind of cover for the adapter.

• Like x 1
  16. Dallas701

Dallas701 Member

Try to give the cord more slack.

Attached Files:

17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Here’s a pic of gecko toes ~$8 amazon

635B820E-A65B-42AA-A1EF-DA99940F9EE3.jpeg

• Like x 1
  18. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

That has my name all over it LOL. Its $10 now though but no big deal.

• Love x 1
  19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

20. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Thanks for sharing.

The holster is the whole point for me, so if that doesn't work then it pretty much defeats the purpose. Good to know.