Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm expecting a Model Y later this year and I've been tossing up over which charging equipment for portable charging I really need. As a newbie, my understanding is that 1) a type 2 to type 2 cable is definitely needed for public charging. 2) a type 2 to type 1 adaptor would be helpful.

Now I've seen companies like EVSE offer portable 5 pin, 32A, 3-phase chargers that can charge up to 22kW (KWIK Portable Type 2 Charger | 32 Amp | 22kW - EVSE Australia), which would be fantastic to have when on road-trips. However, this is only a 5-pin charger. I'd love the flexibility of having Tesla UMC charger that I can just plug into any socket, though the charging speeds are slow. I could purchase both and be prepared for most charging situations.

Does anyone know of a single portable charger that supports adaptable tails that can charge from 2.3-22kW? or is this just a pipe dream and that the only realistic option is to purchase a Tesla UMC + a 32A 3pin/5pin adaptor that supports but to 7.2kWs and then purchasea 22kW 3 phase charger?

Also, I'd love to hear what portable charging cables/adaptors/chargers you have and what you think is necessary.

Cheers!

Reactions: Hairyman
Really depends on
1. Can you charge at home.
2. Where do you trip.

The juice booster can do everything (Expert Kit) but is not cheap

If you can charge at home with a wall charger (or mobile charger) and your typically trip is simply up the Hume or Pacific Hwys (where there are plenty of DC chargers that all have cables) then I'd say you can get away with no cables (although) you might like to have a mobile charger for piece of mind.

If you travel more regionally that's where the 20/32A tails come into play. For a lot of caravan parks you want 15A, and it's probably more suburban places with BYO Type 2.

Tesla's post July 2022 come with nothing, so for most it will be a choice between buying the wall connector ($750) or the mobile charger ($550) with 10/15A tails.

• Informative
Really depends on
2. Where do you trip.

If you can charge at home with a wall charger (or mobile charger) and your typically trip is simply up the Hume or Pacific Hwys (where there are plenty of DC chargers that all have cables) then I'd say you can get away with no cables (although) you might like to have a mobile charger for piece of mind.

If you travel more regionally that's where the 20/32A tails come into play. For a lot of caravan parks you want 15A, and it's probably more suburban places with BYO Type 2.

Tesla's post July 2022 come with nothing, so for most it will be a choice between buying the wall connector ($750) or the mobile charger ($550) with 10/15A tails.
Really depends on
2. Where do you trip.

That does clear things up for me pretty well. Thanks for the reply mate. Do you know if regional areas have more 3 prong or 5 prong wall sockets for 20/30A tails? Or am I asking the wrong question?

Hi All,

I'm expecting a Model Y later this year and I've been tossing up over which charging equipment for portable charging I really need. As a newbie, my understanding is that 1) a type 2 to type 2 cable is definitely needed for public charging. 2) a type 2 to type 1 adaptor would be helpful.

Now I've seen companies like EVSE offer portable 5 pin, 32A, 3-phase chargers that can charge up to 22kW (KWIK Portable Type 2 Charger | 32 Amp | 22kW - EVSE Australia), which would be fantastic to have when on road-trips. However, this is only a 5-pin charger. I'd love the flexibility of having Tesla UMC charger that I can just plug into any socket, though the charging speeds are slow. I could purchase both and be prepared for most charging situations.

Does anyone know of a single portable charger that supports adaptable tails that can charge from 2.3-22kW? or is this just a pipe dream and that the only realistic option is to purchase a Tesla UMC + a 32A 3pin/5pin adaptor that supports but to 7.2kWs and then purchasea 22kW 3 phase charger?

Also, I'd love to hear what portable charging cables/adaptors/chargers you have and what you think is necessary.

Cheers!
The Juice Booster 2 is very good and has the necessary tails but is an expensive bit of kit that needs regular use. There’s similar products such as the KHONS that are far cheaper but require a bit more after purchase work with the various tails. The Tesla UMC Gen2 is a useful device and should always be carried on long trips as a plan B but it’s Achilles heel is it being only single phase, at home that’s fine, in country areas running from generators drawing 32amps single phase through a 3 phase outlet can cause some issues that get maintenance staff upset.
also, 32amp three phase 5 pin is the most common outlet in regional areas by a factor of 5 to 1 over 20amp.

Hi All,

Cheers!
Lots of great questions and kudos for asking... 👍

First the basics:
1) As Mark said in above post, Model 3 and Y maximum charge rate is 11kW, i.e. 16A 3 phase.
2) Tesla Gen2 UMC is single phase EVSE capable of delivering 32A to the car on single phase only, therefore max charge rate is 7kW.

Now to your questions:
1) [is] a type 2 to type 2 cable ... needed for public charging ?
Depends on what is available where you are frequently parked for a few hours.
Worth doing some investigating.
Most Type 2 untethered (i.e have a socket) public charging stations are 3phase 32A, but some are 32A single phase. If you know you will mostly use a T2 station at say your local shopping centre and it is 3phase then a 11kW 3phase T2-T2 charging cable is fine. It's lighter and cheaper. However if you stop at a single phase T2 charging station, you will only get 4kW as the cable is limited to receiving power on the first phase. Some people say get the 22kW cable as it will deliver 11kW at 3phase AND 7kw at single phase, and yes that's true but consider it is heavier and more "unwieldly".

2) a type 2 to type 1 adaptor would be helpful.
Depends on what is available where you are frequently parked for a few hours.
Worth doing some investigating.
Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor is useful as there are many Type 1 charging outlets still out there and you'll get 7kW. Check Plugshare.com and set your filter to Type1.

3) which would be fantastic to have when on road-trips.
Provided you ONLY charge at 32A 5pin outlets. Yes they're common but some sites in the outback ONLY have 20A 3phase. The KWIK portable charger is a SINGLE-USE 32A 5pin solution. Plugshare filters for 3phase but does not discern between 32A or 20A but in most cases previous visitors will leave notes as to which socket is there, but you're relying on the goodwill and honesty of previous users. Imagine you arrive somewhere with less than 10% on the battery and you're expecting to find 32A socket, and it is 20A.. and it's dark and raining. What do you do?

4) I could purchase both and be prepared for most charging situations.
"Most" being the key-word. You've just outlaid $1830 and you still can't charge at 20A 3phase. :eek: See point 3 above.

5) know of a single portable charger that supports adaptable tails that can charge from 2.3-22kW?
You don't need to be able to go to 22kW,
See Basics Rule #1.

6) [is the] only realistic option is to purchase a Tesla UMC + a 32A 3pin/5pin adaptor that supports but to 7.2kWs and then purchase a 22kW 3 phase charger?
Here' the math: $550 + $175 + $1280 = $2005, and you'd still be missing 20A 3phase. :eek:See point 3 above.

7) I'd love to hear what portable charging cables/adaptors/chargers you have and what you think is necessary.
Sure - here goes:
(a) For my charging needs, from 10A single phase (at home) to 15A single phase (caravan parks), to 20A 3phase (community centres, country showgrounds) to 32A 3phase (almost everywhere else in the bush) I use this charger and tails bundle.
(b) For my local shopping centre, Council carparks etc I use an 11kW Type2 charging cable and Type 1 (J1776) to Type 2 for some shopping centres. If I wander far from home and connect to a single phase Type2 outlet I'll grab the 4kW and give thanks while doing so. (Note, in 6 years of car ownership I've never come across a single phase T2 outlet).

My total outlay was $1830 coincidently same as your outlay but I can additionally charge at 20A 3pin, Type 2 and Type 1 outlets.
This works for me as I have 3phase at home and charge at 11kW. I charge from 10% SoC to 90% SoC in 5hours.

Most folks only have single phase at home, so most you'd get from the portable charger linked to above at 7(b) is 16A on single phase, a bit under 4kW.
If you have single phase at home and you want to charge at the highest rate then you'd swap out the 11kW portable charger and select the 22kW variant. It's a $300 uplift in cost, but you would be guaranteed to fully charge your car overnight at 7kW single phase if that is important.

PS - The only sockets still not covered are 32A single phase (3pin) and 20A single phase (3 round pins). If you absolutely need 32A 3pin, I'm sure you can purchase an extra tail.

PPS - The Juicer Booster is expensive but will automatically adjust to the current depending on the connected tail. The portable chargers linked to above are *not* automatic, after you connect to power and before plugging it into the car you need to set the amperage appropriately.
Choosing between spending a thousand dollars or more, or tapping a button for a few seconds was an easy decision for me.

is this just a pipe dream
maybe not - one need only ask. ;)

Last edited:
Imagine you arrive somewhere with less than 10% on the battery and you're expecting to find 32A socket, and it is 20A.. and it's dark and raining. What do you do?

Plug the UMC into a 10A socket and stay an extra day? 🤣

Everyone’s needs are different depending on what kind of driving they do, but increasingly no cables or adaptors are needed for people who stick to main roads these days, because the network of fast (DC) chargers is growing rapidly, and DC chargers are always tethered.

I have a Tesla HPWC mounted in the garage so keep my UMC in the car. I’ve been driving my Model 3 for over 3 years now and this is my road-trip charging experience:
  • Tesla UMC - used many times, plugging into either a 10A or 15A socket. Used when staying at holiday homes, cabins or other rural/remote properties and trickle charging overnight. Always check with the owner first they are OK with you doing that. I have avoided the need to find a DC charger for a week doing this. Longest charging session has been 15.5 hours (plug in at 6pm, depart 9:30am).
  • Type 1 to Type 2 barrel adaptor - never used it. When I first got my car, tethered Type 1 AC chargers were relatively common. These days they are almost an extinct species.
  • Type 2 to Type 2 cable - never used it. I purchased this last year before doing my first ever long rural/remote road trip. There was one AC charger in QLD that I thought I might need it at (Plugshare entries were ambiguous) but it turned out to be tethered. There are a few suburban AC chargers around that are BYO cable, but since I can charge at home, why would I ever do that. If you can’t charge at home, the story would be different, and this cable would be handy.
  • 32A 5-pin UMC adaptor - never used it. Purchased for the same road trip as above. The one remote place I stayed at did not have a 5-pin socket, 15A was the best they had. Even if I only ever use this once or twice in a remote area, it will probably be worth it.
Welcome to the joys of charging @Chris Lin (particularly off-the-beaten track). I find it adds to the sense of adventure 😄

Plug the UMC into a 10A socket and stay an extra day? 🤣
I get the joke, but the OP is getting his Tesla later this year therefore it will not come with the included UMC, hence his reason for asking.

I really feel for new owners - unless they do a ton of research about charging before delivery day, not including a UMC doesn't make any sense.

So i'm similar to Vostok but totally different usage experience for my Model 3 which is also 3 years old now,

I have a Tesla HPWC mounted in the garage so also keep my UMC in the car and also got Solar/Powerwall.

Tesla UMC - used many many times, both 10A and 15A inc quite a few overnights when travelling regionally in the state
Type 1 to Type 2 - used a few times (prob once a month, inc last weekend), mainly at older sites like shopping centres/museum, etc
Type 2 to Type 2 - used every week, mainly at shopping centres/supermarkets and while travelling
32A 5-pin UMC - used when visiting parents house and some other sites mainly regionally

I get the joke, but the OP is getting his Tesla later this year therefore it will not come with the included UMC, hence his reason for asking.

I really feel for new owners - unless they do a ton of research about charging before delivery day, not including a UMC doesn't make any sense.
Is that still the case? I read somewhere in this forum they are including UMC to compensate for delays! However, since orders already showed a delivery window of FEB-MAY I wouldn't consider them "delayed". Not sure exactly what is going on, since there is no official news that they include UMC due to delays.

has anyone purchased this or have opinions? pretty cheap for a portable yeah?
Yes pretty cheap - but it's a single purpose charging solution, and you need to select either 10A or 15A.
You'd select 10A and use it for both 10A and 15A sockets assuming the charger electronics are the same irrespective of the plug it is attached to.
This would be a low-cost replacement for the Tesla Gen2 UMC currently out of stock and/or MIA.

The Tesla Gen2UMC is expandable for 32A (via 5pin or 3pin adaptors), if you wanted the same expandability you'd be up for another $549 and that would be for the 3pin version only, i.e. no 5pin... and it is the 5pin that is by far the most prevalent when travelling in the bush, far away from the Supercharger/DC fast charger network.

Hi All,

I have a MY rear wheel drive. Where I work, we have a 5 pin 32 amp 500V outlet on the wall next to my parking space. Can I use my mobile charger to charge my car while I'm at work (work is fine with it)? and is there a 5 pin adaptor that fits mobile charger? I think 3phase should not be used.

Hi All,

I have a MY rear wheel drive. Where I work, we have a 5 pin 32 amp 500V outlet on the wall next to my parking space. Can I use my mobile charger to charge my car while I'm at work (work is fine with it)? and is there a 5 pin adaptor that fits mobile charger? I think 3phase should not be used.

Yes, many companies sell 5-pin 32A tails for the UMC. Example below. Note these adaptors are still single phase, only one of the 3 phases is wired up to the Tesla plug, because the UMC is a single phase device.

Using these in on-grid areas is fine. Using them in remote areas running off diesel generators is considered not fine, since pulling 32A off a single phase can unbalance a micro-grid.

Yes, many companies sell 5-pin 32A tails for the UMC. Example below. Note these adaptors are still single phase, only one of the 3 phases is wired up to the Tesla plug, because the UMC is a single phase device.

Using these in on-grid areas is fine. Using them in remote areas running off diesel generators is considered not fine, since pulling 32A off a single phase can unbalance a micro-grid.

Thanks. So if I want to use 3phase availability here, I need to get them to install a wall charger?