Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Number 1, I'm one of those old guys myself, #2) I charge at home when I'm not traveling, #3) I have had my 3 for over a year and I never had free supercharging, #4) I have never witnessed anyone fighting at any of the four different Texas superchargers which I have used, and #5) maybe there is a little too much speculation going on here? This thread.....I don't know guys. Some of you have seen this before so I'll apologize but here's a link to my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. It sort of applies.

Love your video. Look forward to the next one.

Number 1, I'm one of those old guys myself, #2) I charge at home when I'm not traveling, #3) I have had my 3 for over a year and I never had free supercharging, #4) I have never witnessed anyone fighting at any of the four different Texas superchargers which I have used, and #5) maybe there is a little too much speculation going on here? This thread.....I don't know guys. Some of you have seen this before so I'll apologize but here's a link to my Tesla whiners and bitchers video. It sort of applies.

Love it. You D Man

Free charging was a bad idea. Tesla should have ALWAYS charged enough for charging to make home charging preferable.

Free charging overcame an enormous initial objection that people had to purchasing an extremely expensive electric car. I'd say though that it served its purpose and Tesla has been far too fast to use it as a demand lever to stimulate sales. The result is long lines and owners waiting an hour to charge their car.

Amazing to me that people will wait an hour multiple times a month to save perhaps $50-$100 a month with typical usage charging at home and "normal" electricity prices.

My time's more valuable than that. Musk & the Tesla board really underestimated what epic cheapskates people are.

Free charging overcame an enormous initial objection that people had to purchasing an extremely expensive electric car. I'd say though that it served its purpose and Tesla has been far too fast to use it as a demand lever to stimulate sales. The result is long lines and owners waiting an hour to charge their car.

Amazing to me that people will wait an hour multiple times a month to save perhaps $50-$100 a month with typical usage charging at home and "normal" electricity prices.

My time's more valuable than that. Musk & the Tesla board really underestimated what epic cheapskates people are.
Agreed. There's no way I'd spend hours a month charging to save myself $20. Also, what about the induced stress? It's so much easier just to plug in at home and not worry your "next fix" just to save a couple bucks. Electricity is cheap here specially off peak.

My tweet to Elon Musk as a rebuttal to him valuing FUSC at 5k.

0979CCA6-0467-4E73-95A0-DBDBCAB84834.jpeg

Though I’ve seen tons of six figure engineers line up for an hour to get free ice cream. Or parents dragging their infants to try and get cheap build a bears.

I've seen a few fights at superchargers, usually by seemingly very entitled people who "have somewhere to be" and somehow assume that their time/business is more important than everyone else's. One guy even made demeaning statements about "those Model 3 types," as if they were peasants and he was a lord. I've been asked by one owner to wait until their car finishes before I move into the stall next to them because they don't want to split the load with me and get reduced charge rates. I've charged all across the country in my 100k miles and frequent road trips and this behavior does not seem to be isolated to just one region.

Rich people in a hurry do neat things.

Douche bags. Some wealthy people have no class whatsoever unfortunately.

And if a stall is open it's open. Don't worry about the other person. They will manage to survive somehow.

So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.
You’re characterization of “old guys” not knowing what’s going on is way off base. We’ ll need to find out how well you’ll adapt to the changes you’ll be experiencing when/ if you get to that age...

One guy even made demeaning statements about "those Model 3 types," as if they were peasants and he was a lord.
Too funny. The jokes on him though because there's a lot of M3 owners who also have a MS or MX sitting in their garage at home.

Rich people are cheap. Doesn't surprise me at all to see lines

I've seen fights at the movies so I build my own home theater.
I've seen fights at SuperChargers so now I mostly charge at home.
I'm waiting for a fight to break out at the strip club.

Love your video. Look forward to the next one.
Thanks, people either love rants/raves and think they're funny or they hate them. As to one comment I made in my post, I just checked my supercharger history and I actually did get one free session in Waco. Not sure why the free session happened since I just have a vanilla long range RWD 3 and not a performance model but I'm pleased. Damn, I just love my Tesla!

I love the Redondo Beach SC. Full of local Tesla trolls. I had just drove 400 plus miles and was at 7% SOC and had to charge to get to my next stop. I was next in line and there was a family behind me that had to get to LAX and had driven from SD. Slots were not opening for some time, why? Two 20 somethings were playing patty cake with their S and X cars by summoning them in and out of the stalls while not charging. I asked if they were local and they said yes and I let them know that people where waiting for a charge, some that needed to get to the airport. They kept their cars parked another 10 min chatting about how fun they are. When I asked again when they would move I got the response, "when they are done". I said "you are not charging". Reply, "So what". In times like this it is difficult to remain calm and I asked them to leave and they just stalled until I removed my phone and began taking a video of them standing there acting entitled. There was a Tesla tech working on the SC cabinet and he overheard the conversation and rolled his eyes saying he sees this type of idiots daily. My guess is they drive 5 miles a day, charge from 90-100 so they can hang out and chat or eat their happy meals.

My second favorite are the same guys I see sleeping in their cars at the SC on a frequent basis or the ones that feel the need to charge to 1000% even though they live in the condos in SM right next to the SC. Good thing they put a valet there during peak hours, Uber drivers in an S are priceless, there should have been a cap on same location charging per day. No one should need to use the same SC 2X plus times a day. Of course the list goes on:)

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC
I love the Redondo Beach SC. Full of local Tesla trolls. I had just drove 400 plus miles and was at 7% SOC and had to charge to get to my next stop. I was next in line and there was a family behind me that had to get to LAX and had driven from SD. Slots were not opening for some time, why? Two 20 somethings were playing patty cake with their S and X cars by summoning them in and out of the stalls while not charging. I asked if they were local and they said yes and I let them know that people where waiting for a charge, some that needed to get to the airport. They kept their cars parked another 10 min chatting about how fun they are. When I asked again when they would move I got the response, "when they are done". I said "you are not charging". Reply, "So what". In times like this it is difficult to remain calm and I asked them to leave and they just stalled until I removed my phone and began taking a video of them standing there acting entitled. There was a Tesla tech working on the SC cabinet and he overheard the conversation and rolled his eyes saying he sees this type of idiots daily. My guess is they drive 5 miles a day, charge from 90-100 so they can hang out and chat or eat their happy meals.

My second favorite are the same guys I see sleeping in their cars at the SC on a frequent basis or the ones that feel the need to charge to 1000% even though they live in the condos in SM right next to the SC. Good thing they put a valet there during peak hours, Uber drivers in an S are priceless, there should have been a cap on same location charging per day. No one should need to use the same SC 2X plus times a day. Of course the list goes on:)

I really wonder what percentage of the California supercharger congestion is caused by people that could easily charge elsewhere yet choose to supercharge because it's free. I'd like to think it's not many and people value their time but I'm starting to wonder.

I really wonder what percentage of the California supercharger congestion is caused by people that could easily charge elsewhere yet choose to supercharge because it's free. I'd like to think it's not many and people value their time but I'm starting to wonder.

Don't kid yourself. I know people with 3 Teslas that have never been to an SC and charge at home and I know some that have home charging and always go to an SC because they are as cheap as hell. Even if it was $.10 a kWh to charge at home they would go to an SC. Yes there are many people that have no home charging access but there are also a bunch of newly rich people in the bay area that can afford to pay $5 a kWh and still go to an SC because it is FREE. If it saved them $.01 they would drive to an SC and wait. Anyone that frequents certain SC stations knows what I'm talking about and the familiar faces. It would be great if there was a red SOC shame light on all SC units that went on at 90%. Better yet, flashes if they start at 90% and charge to 100.