Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging from a HBL4100R12W (Hubbell) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my understanding is that the Portland International Raceway has a Hubbell 4100R12 (70amp 125/250 volt) connection available that some Tesla folks helped setup and have used with a "pigtail". Anyone have any idea what one would need to use this connection properly and efficiently?

HBL4100R12W | Hubbell

WBP_HBL460R12W_PRODIMAGE_1200.jpg

I've done some googling, but have not had much luck yet. I'm thinking I might need to go from the 4100R12 to some more standard NEMA or something, but not really sure what is best.

Sean

Looks like that is a 100A capable outlet. If the breaker backing it is only 70A, then that means the max you can pull out of it is 56A.

Either way, if you're going to use just a UMC, the max you can pull out of it is a 32A (or 40A with a Gen1 UMC). Just get a male version of that connector (no idea where you get one), then wire it to a NEMA 14-50 female. Then plug in your UMC 14-50 male into it.

Looks like that plug is a 3-phase outlet, so it's a little different. That means you'd need to wire to two of the phases for L1-L2, then the ground.

In theory you could create a triple pigtail for 3 Tesla owners to charge at once... Just would need to make sure each phase is balanced properly. Not sure how code compliant that is, but it should be safe assuming all the wire gauge is OK and the breakers are fine. :D

If you don't know what any of that means, I'd suggest asking an electrician or consulting with one of the other Tesla folks to see what they use.

• Informative
Reactions: spkane
Well, I went to your link, and if you click back to IEC devices, you can find the male plug, to match the female outlet, which I think is the 3100P6W. You would then get a 4-wire with the correct gauge for 100 amps, and wire it to the male plug, and on the other side to an outlet that you 3100P6W | Hubbell could use, like Kirby64 says, a NEMA 14-50.