Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering what the best strategy is for the days I’m in NYC. I can charge in my garage in NJ at least once a week. Should I top off to 95% there and just not charge for the days I’m in NYC? I’m not driving that many miles in the city. Is it harmful to the battery to charge up to 100%?
Yes, it is harmful to charge a Tesla's battery to 100%. (At least, for LR batteries; see below.) This isn't necessarily true of other EVs; most of them leave a buffer at the top so that "100%" isn't really 100%. Tesla uses a much smaller buffer, though. Tesla's approach has the advantage that you can charge to 100% if you need to, but it's your responsibility to do so rarely.

The last I checked, Tesla's official recommendation was to charge routinely to 80% or 90%, but no more; and to restrict 100% charges for occasional road trips or other unusual cases where you might need the extra range. If you travel to NYC weekly, and are tempted to charge to 100% for those trips, then I'd recommend against charging to 100%, and instead find some other way to get the range you need. I know next to nothing about your needs, so I'll refrain from offering suggestions. More details might help me and others offer reasonable suggestions.

An exception: Tesla has begun delivering SR+ vehicles with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry. This contrasts with the nickel, cobalt, aluminum oxide (NCA) chemistry used in the LR Model 3 and older SR/SR+ Model 3. There are a bunch of differences between the two chemistries; see this article for a summary. One of the differences is that it's safer to charge LFP cells to 100%. This is irrelevant to you, since you say you have an LR Model 3, but I thought it worth mentioning for the benefit of others who might drive newer LFP-based SR+ Model 3s.

Reactions: Genie and moa999
Yes, it is harmful to charge a Tesla's battery to 100%. (At least, for LR batteries; see below.) This isn't necessarily true of other EVs; most of them leave a buffer at the top so that "100%" isn't really 100%. Tesla uses a much smaller buffer, though. Tesla's approach has the advantage that you can charge to 100% if you need to, but it's your responsibility to do so rarely.

The last I checked, Tesla's official recommendation was to charge routinely to 80% or 90%, but no more; and to restrict 100% charges for occasional road trips or other unusual cases where you might need the extra range. If you travel to NYC weekly, and are tempted to charge to 100% for those trips, then I'd recommend against charging to 100%, and instead find some other way to get the range you need. I know next to nothing about your needs, so I'll refrain from offering suggestions. More details might help me and others offer reasonable suggestions.

An exception: Tesla has begun delivering SR+ vehicles with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry. This contrasts with the nickel, cobalt, aluminum oxide (NCA) chemistry used in the LR Model 3 and older SR/SR+ Model 3. There are a bunch of differences between the two chemistries; see this article for a summary. One of the differences is that it's safer to charge LFP cells to 100%. This is irrelevant to you, since you say you have an LR Model 3, but I thought it worth mentioning for the benefit of others who might drive newer LFP-based SR+ Model 3s.
Thanks, I think I'll charge it to 90% then. My last trip to the city I charged to 90% at home and the driving I did in the city it went down to 53%, I visited those 2 chargers in Brooklyn above more to see what my options were than because I really needed it. I charged back up to 90% and when I got home it was down to 75%. So if I didn't do the charging, I would have gone from 90% - 38%. I've read that it is best to keep your battery above 30%. I also did more driving this trip than I would normally do in the city.

I live in NYC as well. I am in Manhattan and pay $$$ for the spot + charging included so I understand the frustration.

NYC has a pilot for curbside charging at a few places around the city, NYC DOT - Electric Vehicles.

Also search for the evconnect charging on Google Maps they have a lot of charging stations around the city that are in garages and at surface level parking.
Where do you park?