Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share a recent experience while charging yesterday at the Supercharger in Fairfield (Marriott Hotel). I plugged my car in and began charging. Halfway through charging, I received a message that power had been interrupted. The plug light turned red and power was no longer available. Upon unplugging the Supercharger from my vehicle, I noticed a Tesla maintenance contractor walking towards my vehicle. I asked him if he had cut off the power to this charger. He replied by saying Oh no...we didn't know you were charging...sorry about that. I found this to be a bit wonky and unprofessional to just cut the power off without notifying the customer first. Not sure if this is even healthy for my vehicle to experience this or not. Anyone else experience this?

How would they contact you? I'm not sure there's a system in place.
There may not be a system in place, but there's no reason there couldn't be...certainly Tesla knows what cars are actively charging and using the Supercharger and could send a push notification to the app to let you know that maintenance will be occurring and charging could be/will be interrupted.

Not sure if this is even healthy for my vehicle to experience this or not.
I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. First of all, I suspect that it probably does a graceful shutdown, but even if not, I had just plugged into a Supercharger once and BAM, lightning strike! Power was immediately cut to the Supercharger (I'm sure that wasn't a graceful shutdown!) and I got the same or similar message that charging was interrupted (I guess so!) Power immediately came back though (thankfully, otherwise I might have been stuck in Harrisburg, PA) and I was able to start charging again (the Jimmy John's we went to for lunch was not as lucky--the strike took out their point-of-sale system, even though the store had power restored).

Thanks RTPEV...it was not a graceful shutdown. Just seemed very abrupt and discourteous to anyone charging. Had I been away from my car, thinking it was charging and come back to find it not charged, I would have been upset.

Thanks RTPEV...it was not a graceful shutdown. Just seemed very abrupt and discourteous to anyone charging. Had I been away from my car, thinking it was charging and come back to find it not charged, I would have been upset.
Well what I mean by graceful is that the Supercharger may have communicated to the car that it was shutting down and given the car a chance to terminate the session "gracefully" and safely. This can all happen in a matter of milliseconds.

I do understand that from your perspective it was not graceful at all (likely the very opposite!) I was using the term "graceful" in my engineering-speak sense.

I had something similar happen to me once last summer. It was at Hinckley, MN. I had plugged in, and was inside eating. I had told my server that my car was charging and I would potentially need to attend to it and return to finish my meal. The lights inside the restaurant went out briefly, and then came back on, but I got a notification on my phone that charging had been interrupted. I flagged down my server and explained what happened, went outside to move my car, and returned to finish eating.

Reactions: RTPEV