Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Me For Front Aero Shield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago, I was driving and noticed a constant dragging sound and when I pulled over I saw there was a piece sticking out from under the car between the front two wheels. Long story short, I saw alot of posts on the forum about the front aero shield being made from fabric and being susceptible of ripping especially for the 2018 models.

Some people were able to get a free replacement and some were not. So what is the reason for this?

The mobile service team came the other day and inspected it and said I must have driven over something etc etc.. which is expected since they dont want to pay for replacement.. They said that the part connecting the shield with the bumper is also damaged so they need to replace both parts.

I'll attach the estimate I received below. Please advise...

Tesla-Service-Estimate-encrypted-1-1.png
Tesla-Service-Estimate-encrypted-1-2.png

Why not grab the molded plastic front aero off the Y (its a direct PnP) for $10-15 from the SC Parts department and either a. have them instalp it b. install on your own or in any shop that can life your car.

The part number for the Model Y is on the Tesla parts site... and had been shared on/off here a few times since early 2020.

They claim, that the part sticking down on the left of the pic (the plastic piece) is indicating that I ran over something.

They want to have that entire piece replaced along with the aeroshield. He said that the plastic piece hold the aeroshield in place and both must be replaced.

To me it seems exaggerated to replace the whole bottom plastic piece. The damaged part is barely as big as a quarter and doesnt seem to be significant in holding the fabric in place.

If it helps, I can take more pictures and show you guys. I appreciate the help!

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
There is this by MPP MPP Model Y/3 "Smash Me" Front Skid Plate | Mountain Pass Performance
and then there is the MiC front and rear black stamped equivalent resold by RPM but also available via eBay Motors, AliBaba and AliExpress directly from the source... and significantly less expensive.

Cheapest option is still the Model Y vaccum formed plastic equivalent for the front. Cant go wrong at just $10-15.
And for those who didnt tear their v1-v# front composite material/fabric shield, you can even sandwich the two together (Model 3+Y).

Why are people still not buying the Model Y formed plastic replacement for the front aero? It fits, its OTC from your friendly professional local SC parts department, sets one back $15 and can even be sandwiched with the stock fabric one if that one isn't yet damaged.

We wrote about it - on and off here - since 2019 (and Sandy Munro shows it in his tear down videos of the Y).

I’ve had my 2018 model 3 for close to 3 years now. Never had a problem with mine. I’ve never run over anything yet though. Yet..
Your thread title implies, you shouldn’t be charged for a new piece. I assume that’s your implication, or you wouldn’t have added, “Tesla charging me”.

I really don’t understand this logic these days. Why so some folks feel Tesla should pay for you running over something.
Even if the piece is not strong, it is what you bought. Every car has weak points. I think if you ran over something, who’s to say even a stronger one wouldn’t be damaged. Would you ask the after market company to replace it as well?

You’ve hit something, it damaged it, and needs replacing. Why would Tesla be on for that, as your title kind of implies. ?

Reactions: Massive Attack
Why are people still not buying the Model Y formed plastic replacement for the front aero? It fits, its OTC from your friendly professional local SC parts department, sets one back $15 and can even be sandwiched with the stock fabric one if that one isn't yet damaged.

We wrote about it - on and off here - since 2019 (and Sandy Munro shows it in his tear down videos of the Y).
Can you link or give me part number? I believe that's what I need...

And or the rpm AliExpress equivalent. I can't find it...

Thanks!

Hi Perscitus, the Tesla service center in Berkeley CA has quoted me $165 for the original fiber composite aero cover, or $190 for the newer plastic molded version. Can you give us a part number for the piece that you mentioned is $15?

Also, they say the plastic one isn’t a direct fit replacement, and has slightly different mounting requirements. They would be willing to try installing it for me if I can refer them to another Tesla service center who has done this for a customer successfully. Can anyone link to any specific posts here where that success is reported?

Thanks so much!

Interesting, perhaps Tesla has realized their error and raised the price to match the fiber ones... I no longer have the part number, been a few years, cant imagine it changed aside from the suffix (to designate revision, source supplier, etc).

With these prices, you might as well pickup one of the metal replacements sold almost everywhere now.
There are a few designs, base metal options, color options even.

Makes you wonder why the supposedly smart people at Tesla decided to use that fabric like material on the underbody (and wheel wells) on early model 3's. Had it never occur to them that the car might be driven in the rain (even in California)?! But I guess not considering they didn't even think through that water runs directly into the trunk when it's opened.

It was a week or so ago I've heard this unusual sound I thought coming from the tires when I would roll over the separated parts of the concrete roads. I stopped to check the tires, and all was looking ok. Thought nothing of it until I went this last Friday to the local 1/4 track. They pointed out I had something loose under the car. Well, I used some duct tape to ensure it wasn't flapping and did a few runs. Got home and realized this was the cause of that unusual sound. As you see it was scraping the road. I had to come up with an idea. These small brackets I found at ACE along with a 1/4x1in bolt big washers and lock. I put small screws through the brackets attaching to the plastic. I put the brackets through the bolt on the top side to give more assurance the plastic will stay up out of the way. I may trim the bolt threads later but wanted to give it a few days to see if it will hold. So far it's doing well.

Attachments

• messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123300.666.jpeg
    messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123300.666.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 542
  • messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123246.610.jpeg
    messages_0 - 2022-06-16T123246.610.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 552