TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Charging Station

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Recently I stopped by the Tesla charging station at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, California. I wanted to add some juice to my battery for my trip home. I didn't NEED juice to make it home but it would have kept me from running it down into the yellow range. Fashion Island has one charger set up for the roadsters and one for the model S. The roadster charger was being used by an S with the adapter. I'm pretty sure the adapter had been lent to the owner from the store upstairs. The model S charger was open. I thought about disconnecting the model S and plugging the j-1772 into it, which would then have allowed me to use the roadster charger. I thought about all the possible ways this could go bad. The S still needed five hours of charge. I was afraid an alarm would go off if I unplugged it, is that possible? Then I also thought if his car was set to charge at a certain time, his charger wouldn't start charging when I plugged it in. I didn't want to leave the guy with less than a full battery since I figured if he needed that much charge, he was probably from out of town. I could have gone up to the Tesla store to see if they had an adapter, but for whatever reason, I didn't. Had I gone for the switch, I would have been gambling his car would charge. As a write this, it seems I did the right thing. But had his car, or any plug-in been fully charged, is an alarm going to go off when unplugging a locked car?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No alarm would have gone off, and the car would have started charging again when you plugged it.

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Cool, thanks!

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

The owner might receive a message on his/her smart phone.

5. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I could live with that, I would just want to make sure I could get his charger going again.
    Thanks

6. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Did you really mean a J-1772 (or a model S instead)? If it's really a J-1772 there as a second, then there is a good chance that it was limited to only 30A on 208V, which might be also why they were on the Roadster HPC.

Peter

7. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I thought the J-1772 is what the S uses?

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Model S uses it's own plug design but can use J1772 with an adapter.
    Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

9. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

"I did not know that!" (Johnny Carson) :biggrin:

Thanks,
    Art

10. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Best thing to do in that situation is to stop by the Tesla store first and let them know what you're going to do. That way if the Model S owner asks, they can tell him/her what happened.

I've found owners to handle charging at the Santana Row location very well. One time, my car had fully charged, yet the Roadster owner in the spot next to me didn't want to unplug me to charge his car. Luckily, I was just leaving the mall and stopped by the Tesla store - and they told me what was going on. So, I met another Roadster owner (does Tesla time count if the other person is also a Tesla owner?) in the process and he had waited only a few minutes. If I'm going to be there for a while, I'll leave my cell number in case they want to contact me.

11. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Sounds like a good plan!
    Thanks