Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chat Support sucks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it kill them to have a better, more customer-satisfaction oriented process for dealing with customers that they are screwing over, like in this case??

How about an escalation process where you get them to a manager that actually talks to the customer on the phone, listens to their concerns, expresses some empathy, apologies, and then tells them that they still can't have what they want?

Talk is cheap, but it goes a long way, and you bozos hiding behind a chat and ending the chat early need to learn that. This post wouldn't be here giving Tesla a bad name (that they deserve in this case) if they didn't hate talking to customers so much.

Whoa buddy, "you bozos?" My post in reply to you was not insulting to you in any way. I have ZERO to do with Tesla, your issues with them, or your disdain for customer service people. Don't lump me in or insult me because you're upset that you made the mistake of forking out $4000 for something you don't have yet.

Considering how little you think of people you seem to consider beneath you, its a good thing you aren't looking for sympathy in these posts because you aren't going to find it here. Theres an old saying that applies here. If you want to point out an a-hole, don't be a bigger a-hole or you end up making the first a-hole look like its just a butt.

I'm sure your treatment of others inspires all kinds of people to bend over backwards for you.

Its not a great situation, but what do you want the person on chat to do about it exactly? I manage a team of people doing remote IT support primarily via chat and they are constantly getting hammered over things for which they have zero direct control. Do you have a right to be frustrated that you paid and didn't get? Sure. Does that justify browbeating some poor bastard doing hourly customer support work at Tesla? Mehhh.... I guarantee you the people on the other end don't like telling you no, even if it seems like they do. They also have no vested interest in lying to you. They are just doing their jobs with the info provided to them by their systems and management.

Feel how you feel but don't take it out on those who can do nothing about it.
Browbeating? Really? You got that from the chat conversation? Maybe it was how you read it? I really wasn't trying to be hard on the guy, just looking for a date when my upgrade would be delivered. Once he started with the BS stuff, then I started asking for a refund. Then he disconnected from the conversation while I was replying to his question. When my appointment was canceled by Tesla, they instructed me to contact chat service if I had any additional questions, so I did. This guy was not professional in my opinion nor did he answer my question about when I would receive what I paid for. You claim they are doing their jobs with the info that is provided to them, fine. But why does one Tesla employee tell me they have plenty of parts, then another tells me they don't have parts? This is where the frustration lies for me.

Lol, it looked like he was up against the clock and needed to move on to another customer. I sympathize with both of you but I feel especially bad for the people in those positions because they're not paid a lot and they often can't do much beyond relay what's given to them. At the same time, I can understand why you feel the the way you do, but it's one of those times you just have to wait it out.
Yeah I get that I have to wait and I'm fully prepared to wait. If the upgrade description said the upgrade can take up to 3-4 months to be performed, I would still have made the purchase, but it didn't. I would just like for them to tell me how long. I don't think that's unreasonable after paying $4k, especially since the description didn't mention anything about a delay.

Really? What extra parts are needed for earlier cars? Just curious.

There's a different wiring harness and housing if I remember correctly.

There are 2 service types for the upgrade one is listed as:
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit Without Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3
- Part: TLA,CAR,COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-R0-J)

The other is with the rework and extra parts.
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3
- Part: TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-R0-J)

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Browbeating? Really? You got that from the chat conversation? Maybe it was how you read it? I really wasn't trying to be hard on the guy, just looking for a date when my upgrade would be delivered. Once he started with the BS stuff, then I started asking for a refund. Then he disconnected from the conversation while I was replying to his question. When my appointment was canceled by Tesla, they instructed me to contact chat service if I had any additional questions, so I did. This guy was not professional in my opinion nor did he answer my question about when I would receive what I paid for. You claim they are doing their jobs with the info that is provided to them, fine. But why does one Tesla employee tell me they have plenty of parts, then another tells me they don't have parts? This is where the frustration lies for me.

He has no idea. He's a chat person that is probably working for a contract company.
The tech also has no idea. Maybe he's seen model X computers and thought they were the same. Maybe plenty of parts to him means 10 and they did 10 upgrades that week.

Just because an employee tells you something doesn't mean it's gospel, you're acting like they're trying to pull a fast one on you, or are being lazy. If they had the part they'd do it. They don't have it, they can't do it, they don't know when it's coming.

Reactions: MorgenBlue
He has no idea. He's a chat person that is probably working for a contract company.
The tech also has no idea. Maybe he's seen model X computers and thought they were the same. Maybe plenty of parts to him means 10 and they did 10 upgrades that week.

Just because an employee tells you something doesn't mean it's gospel, you're acting like they're trying to pull a fast one on you, or are being lazy. If they had the part they'd do it. They don't have it, they can't do it, they don't know when it's coming.
To take $4k of someone's money for something then say sorry we have no idea when you'll get it is straight BS. Why you defend that position is beyond me. My frustration is due to conflicting information provide by two different Tesla employees. You can assume one is right and I can assume the other is right. At the end of they day they have my money and I don't have my upgrade. All I'm asking for is a date. Unreasonable? I think not.

There's a different wiring harness and housing if I remember correctly.

There are 2 service types for the upgrade one is listed as:
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit Without Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3
- Part: TLA,CAR,COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-R0-J)

The other is with the rework and extra parts.
Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3
- Part: TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV Retrofit(1462554-R0-J)
Interesting. Both of these descriptions and part #s look identical.

Interesting. Both of these descriptions and part #s look identical.
That's just the part number. There are absolutely different installation requirements depending on the build date of the car.

Honestly, no one is going to convince you that ordering FSD after-the-fact doesn't get you an immediate FSD computer upgrade. That's how you feel, and you aren't going to change that feeling. I'll just tell you that my September 2018 3P with an FSD upgrade purchased in Feb 2019 only got the FSD HW upgrade in May 2020 after three different requests and cancelled appointments. I wasn't upset, didn't post on any forums about it, and just kept checking in until it finally happened. Different approaches for different folks. But guess what! It hasn't made a single bit of difference in the car. So you're literally trying to get something done that has almost no value right now whatsoever (unless you really like visualization of stop lights and triggering approvals for passing through intersections when AP is enabled). Just be patient and you'll be fine.

You're also never going to get consistent messages from Tesla employees. Exactly why would you think a mobile service tech has visibility about parts supplies? They've always been nice and efficient, but I've never expected them to really know more than what my service order requires and that they've got the parts to fulfill it. There are loads of examples of someone at a Service Center saying something, or a delivery person promising something, or a salesperson committing to something ... that turn out to be untrue. That's not Tesla. That's corporations.

Reactions: john5520
I could have a meeting at work right now and rattle off my raw product inventory and projected customer orders. Within an hour if someone asked them what was going on there would be ten different answers. Tesla answers are not the Gospel. Stop living and dying with every word. They are human beings.
The bigger question/issue to me is that you have to prepay for the upgrade. I don't like that aspect, and if it's such a popular upgrade why would they charge ahead of time for it? If someone cancelled an upgrade appointment there would easily be someone else coming through the door to get it. If Tesla didn't charge the $4k ahead of time you all would just be whining about the typical wait time issues(or maybe miraculously not whining at all!).

I wish I was as wealthy as you, to not give a crap about a $4k purchase that has no ETA. ;)
My money has value and when I spend $4k I expect to receive something that I perceive as equal in value. In most scenarios, when you walk into a store and put $4k worth of product in your cart, when you pay you walk out with the product. In this case I added $4k to my cart and received an email that said we'll contact you when it's ready. Then I had a Tesla employee show up at my house, that told me, we have your parts, go ahead and schedule the service, so I did. Then I was told by Tesla, sorry we don't have your parts, we'll let you know when we do. I don't know how anyone can look at that situation and think that it's a great customer experience. I love my Tesla and all the products they produce (despite the flaws) and Elon's vision for the future! I'm sold, I'm a Tesla owner, and I continue to support their vision by buying more products. Only in this case I gave but did not receive (yet). I'm not saying they robbed me and that I will never get my product, I'm saying they took my money without being honest about when I will get it. I know I will get it, I would just like for them to tell me when. I don't think that's unreasonable.

They said they don’t know. ?
That tends to happen when they don’t have stock.
The issue is you feel that you paid money, so I want it now. Telling me it’s unavailable when someone else gets it, is unacceptable. I want it now, because I paid money.

You keep writing back now saying, I just want to know the ETA. Well, they don’t know, and that clearly wouldn’t be enough for you anyway. “You want it now because I paid money”.
We do t always get thing we pay for immediately. Manufacturers have many challenges delivering sometimes.

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I want to test Tesla chat. I got my car back last week after fantastic service but the status on my App still says "ready for pickup."
It isn't causing any issues but I'm sick of looking at it when I open the App lol.

Where do you start a chat? On tesla.com?

They said they don’t know. ?
That tends to happen when they don’t have stock.
The issue is you feel that you paid money, so I want it now. Telling me it’s unavailable when someone else gets it, is unacceptable. I want it now, because I paid money.

You keep writing back now saying, I just want to know the ETA. Well, they don’t know, and that clearly wouldn’t be enough for you anyway. “You want it now because I paid money”.
We do t always get thing we pay for immediately. Manufacturers have many challenges delivering sometimes.
You keep saying that I'm insisting on getting the part now, which is not true, I just want an ETA. My expectation was to get the part immediately because there was no initial indication that I wouldn't. Now that the part is unavailable, according to one chat person at Tesla, I would like to know when it will be available. If they knew the part was unavailable at the time I made my purchase, it would have been a better experience if they wouldn't have taken my money until part was available. Now I have no recourse, I just have to wait for an unspecified amount of time, which sucks.

Reactions: EVDRVN and TLLMRRJ
I think this is getting repetitive.

ArcticGoodnaturedChameleon-small.gif

Not referring to anyone in particular, just this argument in general. :)

There are likely tons of people that bought FSD with their car that haven't been retrofitted yet. Logically they would go first right?
Logically yes, that would make sense. I have heard from others that the "line" is based on VIN#, but I have no proof of that. As I have expressed before, I'm ok with waiting, I would just like to know how long. I'm sure there is a count for HW 3 upgrades, that grows every time someone pays for the upgrade. I'm also fairly sure there is some kind of internal inventory management system that Tesla has that shows how many upgrade kits they have on hand and projects how many they will manufacture in a given day/week/month. Is seems fairly simple to project an ETA based on real world data. If they can give you an ETA for building a whole car with many parts, it should be fairly simple to do for an upgrade kit.

Logically yes, that would make sense. I have heard from others that the "line" is based on VIN#, but I have no proof of that. As I have expressed before, I'm ok with waiting, I would just like to know how long. I'm sure there is a count for HW 3 upgrades, that grows every time someone pays for the upgrade. I'm also fairly sure there is some kind of internal inventory management system that Tesla has that shows how many upgrade kits they have on hand and projects how many they will manufacture in a given day/week/month. Is seems fairly simple to project an ETA based on real world data. If they can give you an ETA for building a whole car with many parts, it should be fairly simple to do for an upgrade kit.

Seems they can’t give you an ETA for it.

I’m sure you have all the answers to the logistical problems they have with the release of HW3. That’s why you feel it should be so easy just to do what you say.

I suspect, that even if you had your all so crucial ETA, you would still find some issue.
I say that, because you can’t seem to just let it go. Some folks just need a fight at hand to satisfy them.

Seems they can’t give you an ETA for it.

I’m sure you have all the answers to the logistical problems they have with the release of HW3. That’s why you feel it should be so easy just to do what you say.

I suspect, that even if you had your all so crucial ETA, you would still find some issue.
I say that, because you can’t seem to just let it go. Some folks just need a fight at hand to satisfy them.
I have no other issue(s) at the moment nor am I looking for any. I just spent a lot of money and got very little information in return and wanted to share the experience with others that might be considering making the same purchase. Didn't realize I would have to spend 2 pages on a thread defending my point of view to people like you that imply a lot of things I never said. Again you are implying that I will just find something else to complain about. You seem to know me so well. Have you reviewed all my posts and threads I have created to come to that conclusion, or are you just pulling stuff out of your rear to make me look a certain way that fits you narrow minded opinion?

I have no other issue(s) at the moment nor am I looking for any. I just spent a lot of money and got very little information in return and wanted to share the experience with others that might be considering making the same purchase. Didn't realize I would have to spend 2 pages on a thread defending my point of view to people like you that imply a lot of things I never said. Again you are implying that I will just find something else to complain about. You seem to know me so well. Have you reviewed all my posts and threads I have created to come to that conclusion, or are you just pulling stuff out of your rear to make me look a certain way that fits you narrow minded opinion?

I don’t know you at all. I can only go by your post and responses. That’s why I’ve been commenting on. Nothing has been removed from my rear to do that. :)

• Disagree