Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
May 19, 2017
The new Tesla Roadster was unveiled with incredible performance specs, but the car’s designer is now saying the car will be better “in every way.” Speaking on the Ride the Lighting podcast, Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen – the man who drove the Roadster out of the Tesla Semi for its debut – offered...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/10/22/tesla-chief-designer-says-roadster-is-evolving/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
This is typical for a new vehicle. Sales wants the cars available as early as possible, but the engineers have developed ways to make the car much better, if they have a little more time.

Management will hear both sides, and decide when to release the car. At a certain point they will give the engineers the bad news of "pencils down" and the car will go out the door as it is developed at that time.

They usually will integrate the improvements into the next model year, but with Tesla they usually just make the improvements when they can integrate them into the vehicle.

tmoz

S85D, Prius PiP
Aug 16, 2015
Gilbert, Arizona
Why not, I suppose. Three grades of insanity perhaps: 1) Fastest sports car on the planet (other than versions 2 and 3) , 2) Even faster fastest sports car on the planet with after booster rockets, 3) Fastest vehicle on land (really a rocket, but can sneak into the car category).

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
Why not, I suppose. Three grades of insanity perhaps: 1) Fastest sports car on the planet (other than versions 2 and 3) , 2) Even faster fastest sports car on the planet with after booster rockets, 3) Fastest vehicle on land (really a rocket, but can sneak into the car category).
The Roadster won’t be the fastest car.
Quickest to a certain speed, yes. Fastest? No

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
A performance version of the performance car? Isn't that a little over the top?
No other sports car manufacturers have upgraded variants of their performance cars. That would be totally over the top. #confused

Drew-MS

Nov 13, 2019
New York
There are plenty of tracks all over. Plus, many people on this forum own one of the quickest accelerating cars on the road. Of course, the P100D (Model S performance) and it's a daily driver for many. I'm sure some people that purchase the new Roaster will use it as a daily driver. After all, it's much more practical than the previous Roadster. Since it has 4 seats, AWD, trunk space, good range, and it's not very small like the first one. That being said, the new Roadster will actually be much more practical than many other exotic cars including Audi R8s, most Ferraris, Mclaren's, Lambos, etc.. Maybe similar to a 911 Turbo which I owned several years ago and was my daily driver.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
I'm hoping it will evolve into a proper Roadster (ie 2 seats - look up the definition of a roadster), which would make space/weight for a retractable hardtop. And a normal steering wheel, please. Add in adjustable suspension height so it can be my daily driver, and I'm getting really interested. Fingers crossed.....

Reactions: BBone and ICUDoc

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC