Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chief Designer Says Roadster is Evolving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The new Tesla Roadster was unveiled with incredible performance specs, but the car’s designer is now saying the car will be better “in every way.”

Speaking on the Ride the Lighting podcast, Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen – the man who drove the Roadster out of the Tesla Semi for its debut – offered some insight on the continued development of the next version of the sports car. 

“It’s evolving deservedly so; it needs more time. It will be even better than what we’ve unveiled. In every way,” Von Holzhausen said. 

Consider the new Roadster is expected to pack impressive specs even for a supercar – 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds and a range of up to 620 miles from a 200 kWh battery pack.

Von Holzhausen called the car an “amazing machine” that “showcases the ability of what an electric vehicle can be.”

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has previously hinted at a performance version of the Roadster coming in 2021.

Check out the interview here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is typical for a new vehicle. Sales wants the cars available as early as possible, but the engineers have developed ways to make the car much better, if they have a little more time.

Management will hear both sides, and decide when to release the car. At a certain point they will give the engineers the bad news of "pencils down" and the car will go out the door as it is developed at that time.

They usually will integrate the improvements into the next model year, but with Tesla they usually just make the improvements when they can integrate them into the vehicle.

Why not, I suppose. Three grades of insanity perhaps: 1) Fastest sports car on the planet (other than versions 2 and 3) , 2) Even faster fastest sports car on the planet with after booster rockets, 3) Fastest vehicle on land (really a rocket, but can sneak into the car category).
The Roadster won’t be the fastest car.
Quickest to a certain speed, yes. Fastest? No

There are plenty of tracks all over. Plus, many people on this forum own one of the quickest accelerating cars on the road. Of course, the P100D (Model S performance) and it's a daily driver for many. I'm sure some people that purchase the new Roaster will use it as a daily driver. After all, it's much more practical than the previous Roadster. Since it has 4 seats, AWD, trunk space, good range, and it's not very small like the first one. That being said, the new Roadster will actually be much more practical than many other exotic cars including Audi R8s, most Ferraris, Mclaren's, Lambos, etc.. Maybe similar to a 911 Turbo which I owned several years ago and was my daily driver.

I'm hoping it will evolve into a proper Roadster (ie 2 seats - look up the definition of a roadster), which would make space/weight for a retractable hardtop. And a normal steering wheel, please. Add in adjustable suspension height so it can be my daily driver, and I'm getting really interested. Fingers crossed.....

Reactions: BBone and ICUDoc