Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla China Beijing Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to TMC xdguo.

Wow, if you are the first Chinese person to order a Tesla Model S, then you will become a famous person in China (when Tesla EV's will be mainstream in China). :cool:

Well, there were already a number of people placed the orders before me when Tesla China started to take orders in Mid August, I'm just one from the first group:tongue:. When you look at the population base and environment problem we are having right now, it is no doubt that Tesla will make a very big sale in China in the not so far future.

Well, there were already a number of people placed the orders before me when Tesla China started to take orders in Mid August, I'm just one from the first group:tongue:. When you look at the population base and environment problem we are having right now, it is no doubt that Tesla will make a very big sale in China in the not so far future.

Do you know the incentives that will be available in China for Model S? Tax breaks, lottery exemption, etc?

Welcome! And very happy to have a China reservation holder providing input to TMC! Hope you are able to configure your car soon!

That lottery process sounds interesting, but heavy-handed. As an American, I hadn't even heard about this measure before. While trying to figure out if what this "lottery" was, I came across this article from June 2013.

EV buyers in Beijing no longer exempt from license plate lottery

Given the way things work in China, there can be little doubt that some key ICE manufacturers with big markets in China (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) greased the palms of a few well-placed officials in the Municipal Commission of Transport to get this ruling. You can be sure of it.

Do you know the incentives that will be available in China for Model S? Tax breaks, lottery exemption, etc?

These have been pretty annoying issues for the potential Tesla Model s buyers in China, because no national or local regulatory has clearly indicated what kind of policy is going to be applied for an imported pure EVs like MS, it is said the government will issue new policy at the end of this month. However, a lot of people believe that there will be no TAX BREAKS, NO Government Subsidiaries for imported EVs. As for lottery exemption, that depends on local government, Shanghai adopts lottery exemption, while Beijing is going to have this, but the chance to get the plate is expected high.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks ! :tongue:
Welcome! And very happy to have a China reservation holder providing input to TMC! Hope you are able to configure your car soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome!

I have always been concerned about where buyers in China will charge. Will you be charging at your house? If you live in an apartment, will charging be a problem?
Thanks!
Yes, charging is still a very big issues for the Chinese buyers, public charging facilities are still very few despite the government is encouraging and promising to built more, apparently it is not convenient to use an EV at this moment. As for my case, I will be charging at my house where I have a fixed lot for parking and charging. For people who live in an apartment, yes still a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you inform us about the pace of reservations in China (once a week/month)? That would be nice.
Yes, I'd love to!:smile:

I thought the third shift only added another 10 - 15k to their 25k production run.

The original goal was 20,000 cars per shift (60,000 for three shifts), but apparently Tesla still hasn't gotten the production line working that fast. I'm not sure how fast it's actually working.

It's worth noting:
(1) Tesla definitely has enough room to set up a second production line.
(2) The slow part of the production line is apparently the humans, not the expensive-to-install machines, which can apparently work much faster than they are working.
(3) The way the production line is set up with little robot trolleys following magnetic tape, it would be possible to have one production line "split into two" at some point during production, perhaps after most of the heavy machine work is done and before the labor-intensive work.
(4) Therefore, I don't think Tesla is going to face significant capital-purchase hurdles to expanding production to 60K cars per year; but Tesla may face hiring & training hurdles.

(1) Tesla definitely has enough room to set up a second production line.

True, but I really doubt they want to put in the capital expenditure.

(2) The slow part of the production line is apparently the humans, not the expensive-to-install machines, which can apparently work much faster than they are working.

Probably, but humans are not the only bottleneck. For the welding line the slowest work station controls how fast all the rest of them can run.

(3) The way the production line is set up with little robot trolleys following magnetic tape, it would be possible to have one production line "split into two" at some point during production, perhaps after most of the heavy machine work is done and before the labor-intensive work.

Certainly they could do that. But I'm not sure that area of the complex has loads of spare room available. They would have to move that work somewhere else. Trollies might be traveling for a while!

(4) Therefore, I don't think Tesla is going to face significant capital-purchase hurdles to expanding production to 60K cars per year; but Tesla may face hiring & training hurdles.

I'd guess that they won't trivially achieve a tripling of production capacity simply by going to three shifts, even if they could train everyone up. Once they are at three shifts any bottlenecks can't be solved by putting an extra shift on. They either have to boost productivity or invest capital, or both.

As of today, both reservation holders and Tesla China are still waiting for the new policy which will probably be introduced at the end of this month, the policy will include import tariffs and other tax and fees on imported EV. That's why Tesla China still can not confirm the final price in China Market.