Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla chose to do what it does best: half-ass it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being not open about this does look bad for Tesla, but in all honesty, what are the customers loosing for using HW2.5 until production gets sorted out and a simple Mobile Service visit will install HW3? I know, traffic cones and stop light visualization... big deal... it's not like the car drives any differently on HW3 autopilot for now.

If Tesla would have halted deliveries because of this, it would have been worse. They made a judgment call IMO.

This is the last thing that needs to be dramatized over now...

Being not open about this does look bad for Tesla, but in all honesty, what are the customers loosing for using HW2.5 until production gets sorted out and a simple Mobile Service visit will install HW3? I know, traffic cones and stop light visualization... big deal... it's not like the car drives any differently on HW3 autopilot for now.

If Tesla would have halted deliveries because of this, it would have been worse. They made a judgment call IMO.

This is the last thing that needs to be dramatized over now...

It’s not a mobile visit. FSD computer is liquid cooled in Model 3 and must be upgraded at a Service Center. Technically S/X can be but they are pretty involved too, not because of cooling.

• Informative
Reactions: cucubits

It's still BS.

Last week we found out Tesla was "downgrading" hardware on its Chinese made Model 3s due to "supply chain status amid the epidemic" and it then promising free upgrades to its customers. Instead of just doing the right thing, which would be suspending production until you can make the product properly, Tesla chose to do what it does best: half-ass it.

Suspending production is only the right thing to do if you're zerohedge and shorting TSLA. If I was waiting for a new Model 3, and Tesla told me I'd get HW3 later due to logistics issues, I wouldn't have much of an issue with that. I'd be more angry if I had to wait for several months more. But whatever.

Communication about this is another matter. That's definitely one area Tesla still needs to improve a lot.

i would like to know where it says you are guaranteed hw3...

p88PPVV.png

I agree with the general sentiment in the article. Tesla blew it. Had they simply been honest with their customers and let them know that the cars had HW2.5 it would have been fine. But they did not disclose it. China is very big on trust, and Tesla violated their trust by keeping quiet about it. And they only offered to upgrade customers to HW3 after it went public.

Whether it detracts from the ownership experience is irrelevant at this point. If Tesla is willing to do something like this, what else are they willing to do? They are a new “local” brand in China and this was a huge misstep for them.

I agree with the general sentiment in the article. Tesla blew it. Had they simply been honest with their customers and let them know that the cars had HW2.5 it would have been fine. But they did not disclose it. China is very big on trust, and Tesla violated their trust by keeping quiet about it. And they only offered to upgrade customers to HW3 after it went public.

Whether it detracts from the ownership experience is irrelevant at this point. If Tesla is willing to do something like this, what else are they willing to do? They are a new “local” brand in China and this was a huge misstep for them.
This is, at most, a minor PR goof that was intentionally blown out of proportion by shorters.

This is, at most, a minor PR goof that was intentionally blown out of proportion by shorters.

Hardly. Elon went out of his way last year to emphasize the benefits of HW3 and assured everyone that as of 4/12/19 all cars would have HW3. To introduce HW2.5 into cars almost a year later, in a new market, is unacceptable. Tesla needs to learn how to do business in China. This is not going to do anything to build trust there.

Reactions: Eclectic
Hardly. Elon went out of his way last year to emphasize the benefits of HW3 and assured everyone that as of 4/12/19 all cars would have HW3. To introduce HW2.5 into cars almost a year later, in a new market, is unacceptable. Tesla needs to learn how to do business in China. This is not going to do anything to build trust there.
It's a distinction that makes no difference. The HW2.5 only went into cars that lacked FSD. If they bought FSD, they'd get an upgrade. Tesla did the right thing; it just didn't communicate as well as it could have. There was no harm, just hurt feelings.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
It's a distinction that makes no difference. The HW2.5 only went into cars that lacked FSD. If they bought FSD, they'd get an upgrade. Tesla did the right thing; it just didn't communicate as well as it could have. There was no harm, just hurt feelings.

We have no idea what Tesla’s plans are for HW3 in the future. HW3 owners without FSD are already getting better traffic visualization than HW2.5 owners. Anything is possible in the future. Thinking customers are going to be happy with a HW2.5 car just because they did not buy FSD is just plain wrong. If Tesla promised to ship HW3 in all cars they need to do as they stated. This idea that you only need it if you have FSD is just ill informed. Only the software developers know what the master plan is for that chip. Anything else is just speculation.

We have no idea what Tesla’s plans are for HW3 in the future. HW3 owners without FSD are already getting better traffic visualization than HW2.5 owners. Anything is possible in the future. Thinking customers are going to be happy with a HW2.5 car just because they did not buy FSD is just plain wrong. If Tesla promised to ship HW3 in all cars they need to do as they stated. This idea that you only need it if you have FSD is just ill informed. Only the software developers know what the master plan is for that chip. Anything else is just speculation.
From what I've read, the only feature that HW2.5 owners are missing out on is the visualization of stop signs and traffic signals, which was added in December. Everyone who ordered FSD got the HW3.0 and anyone who upgrades to it gets it, too.