Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Claims Warranty is Void Due to Aftermarket Puddle Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On August 6th I had an emergency appointment with Vancouver service center due to someone's cancelation. The driver side door didn't close so I banged harder to shut it and the window cracked and more cracks followed. The window seemed traveled higher by 3mm than normal and bulged out of alignment. Initially it looked like they would replace the cracked driver side window and even install a new plastic trim around the roof line until the technician opened the door ready to take the car away he saw the brighter after market puddle light shinning on the floor. They declared VOID as such things affected the window calibration (even though I had them for almost 1 year) they said it happened before.....$460 for the window, don't bother the molding, not important to me. So please be aware that this is many automakers' position if you replace some OEM stuffs.I have all 4 original lights put back on my doors now just in case

Attachments

• 20210805_071902.jpg
    20210805_071902.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 3,495
They can't do that. Refer to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Take them to court, as they have to prove that the change of the puddle light caused the window to fail.

Anyways, my BS meter is ringing after reading this... change of puddle light = failed window motor whatever leading to warranty being voided.
Right!!.. They have to prove that cause the failure!!

Reactions: X-pilot
They can't do that. Refer to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Take them to court, as they have to prove that the change of the puddle light caused the window to fail.

Anyways, my BS meter is ringing after reading this... change of puddle light = failed window motor whatever leading to warranty being voided.
Not sure Magnuson Moss applies as he's in Canada.

On August 6th I had an emergency appointment with Vancouver service center due to someone's cancelation. The driver side door didn't close so I banged harder to shut it and the window cracked and more cracks followed. The window seemed traveled higher by 3mm than normal and bulged out of alignment. Initially it looked like they would replace the cracked driver side window and even install a new plastic trim around the roof line until the technician opened the door ready to take the car away he saw the brighter after market puddle light shinning on the floor. They declared VOID as such things affected the window calibration (even though I had them for almost 1 year) they said it happened before.....$460 for the window, don't bother the molding, not important to me. So please be aware that this is many automakers' position if you replace some OEM stuffs.I have all 4 original lights put back on my doors now just in case
They have been doing this since at least 2017. they blame my aftermarket stereo for EVERYTHING and make me sign a waiver before they will touch the car

Some get good service, some dont.

Me personally, I am embarrassed for Tesla regarding the service model. You cant call anyone, you have to use a dicky app which doesnt work half the time (mine just deleted the "service tab" altogether and I had to reinstall it from scratch). Then if you do finally get an appt set up its 3 weeks out so I hope the issue isnt all that significant. Depending on your service center you will be given no ride, 1 uber, or a free loaner. Mostly its nothing or an uber home.

All of this is piss poor and only taking place because Telsa has zero competitors. Its going to be another 5 yrs before the big boys step up the game enough to force Tesla to focus on the service. For now, either you are honest and open about how bad Tesla service is, or you come on with your fanboy hat on and bash the people who are saying how bad the service is.

Either way, its sub par and wont change until they are forced to. There are just no market drivers in place now to force it, the mach E will take years to become a viable competitor and nothing else is even remotely close. I'll keep this model Y performance for a few years but if after that there hasnt been significant changes to the service level from Tesla, I will switch back to driving an ICE vehicle at that time, which sucks. i absolutely LOVE when the media keeps saying ALL cars will be EVs in 5 years. NFW. Maybe 25 years at this pace.

You are likely on the losing side of this regardless of if you are right or not. Even if you were in the US and the Magnuson act applied, all they have to do is deny. Then you have to escalate it for basically forever and likely have to take it to court and hope you have someone who actually understands the M-M act.

I used to work for a large automotive manufacturer. I initially was involved in adjudicating warranty claims that made it past the dealer and needed to be escalated to corporate. Then I got involved. I actually cared about customer retention but if you were a jackass and clearly did something wrong, or were trying to dupe me, then your claim wasn't going anywhere. It wasn't a fun job but it got my foot in the door as an engineer into the company.

At the end of the day, you likely have the most expensive puddle lights I am aware of currently.

Some get good service, some dont.
This is true of all automobile service departments. I think that dealer-based service has gotten worse as the cars have gotten more electronic features. I could tell you stories about BMW service.

Once out of warranty I rarely take any of my cars to a dealer for service. It obviously is a little more challenging with a Tesla, but new private shops are showing up every day.

Many people have complained regarding tesla service.
It makes sense that Service is the last part of a somewhat new corp to get right.
Especially one that is growing at such an amazing pace.
Ford has it's own problems with service. Especially for EVs.
Think about it. Their mechanics are used to ICE vehicles.

For me the possible Service disappointments are well overshadowed by the superior engineering. Add to that the Super charging stations and the Mach E ( FOR ME) is not even a possibility.
Research the two vehicles and compare heir stats.
Tesla is literally years ahead in design. That is not only my opinion ( I really don't matter) but the opinion of a well regarded Automotive Engineer Sandy Munroe.

Here's an article and video where he tears down the heating system of both vehicles for exam.
This is a good example

Thanks for the reply; Yes, I did see Sandy's video, actually many of them. You also know that he is Tesla biased; he has stated that several times, so while I enjoy and find his engineering based analyses useful, his perspectives are 'unfortunate.' It is clear that Tesla is several generations ahead strictly in terms of EV engineering, but that is not the only factor in the decision process.

Regarding charging; my anticipated use profile will be home charging 99.99% of the time, so I am less concerned with remote charging, plus the fact that Tesla will open their stations up to all EVs.

I have test driven the MY extended range and frankly found the ride off-putting (harsh) for an SUV. Clearly I am not alone with this, as many folks on this forum either consider or have replaced some of the suspension, which is not something I am interested in doing.

It is clear that there are advantages and disadvantages of either vehicle, not to mention other manufacturers that are in the pipe line. The main reason for joining this forum is to try and obtain actual user's perspectives so I can try and apply them; luckily I have plenty of time to decide which way to go. Thank you very much for your reply and perspective : )

Id wait 5 years then revisit. By then the big boys will force Tesla to improve their entire game and the end result should be much better from a tech and service standpoint. EVs are still in their infancy as there is only 1 player and they are just making their own rules since they arent competing with anyone.

one major player in the US.

in china, otoh, lots and lots. they are way ahead of us, in terms of the govt buying in, supporting the concept.

give it 2 years. wont take 4 for tesla to have serious competition. but for the next 1-2, they do own the US field.

Good info, DayTrippin.

I hope its clear that this guys puddle lights had nothing to do with the window breaking and Tesla is just being a douche. I would sue them just on principal, regardless...
Where the issue here is Tesla, like many companies, use CAN Bus. I had so many issues on BMWs when they rolled this out when I wanted to add any electrical accessories. It was a nightmare and just adding a simple set of foglights by tapping into existing wiring caused the car to basically have a tizzy fit. Great lesson learned...

So later I waited until they had controllers that would integrate with the CAN bus system. Cost a lot more money but sometimes added functionality too.

Here is a great primer on CAN bus.

one major player in the US.

in china, otoh, lots and lots. they are way ahead of us, in terms of the govt buying in, supporting the concept.

give it 2 years. wont take 4 for tesla to have serious competition. but for the next 1-2, they do own the US field.
Competition is far superior to the government " buying in"
I'm glad to see others entering the arena. Only make it better for the consumer

Reactions: GadgetGary