Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla claims wiring "redundancy" in Model 3 - inside knowledge of upcoming regs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The news of AP 2.5 or "2.1" as Tesla referred to is contains something else - the Tesla rep mentioned redundancy as a reason for the changes - not just extra computing power. Redundancy in wiring and in processing for what they described as a very small margin of additional reliability.

So we have a camera facing the driver and we have the first signs of system redundancy - could we be looking at the results of some "inside intuition" Tesla may have on upcoming regulations?

Could just be being proactive. Redundancy is always a good thing in hardware where lives are on the line.

Good on Tesla for declaring that it would be free to previous buyers if they determine it to be necessary.

Where did Tesla state these would be free to prior buyers?
Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

Spokesman said:
“However, we still expect to achieve full self-driving capability with safety more than twice as good as the average human driver without making any hardware changes to HW 2.0. If this does not turn out to be the case, which we think is highly unlikely, we will upgrade customers to the 2.5 computer at no cost.”

My Bought i

my thought is Tesla may upgrade the computer if it is needed in older cars but not additional wiring for redundancy. They could say "we achieved 2x human safety even without redundant components based on the predicted mtbf of wiring steering braking components etc.
If the NHTSA comes out and defines exactly what kind of redundancy it's mandating (multiple wiring harnesses, etc.) to achieve FSD, Tesla will be in a pickle.

Reactions: calisnow