Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cloud API Delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

When you use the tesla owners API to issue commands to powerwall / gateway as we do here:

'owner-api.teslamotors.com'

fkhera/powerwallCloud

Any idea how to avoid the 15-20 minute delay between calling command and having it take effect on the gateway?
When I used to code locally I would call a separate commit statement:

vloschiavo/powerwall2

GET & POST /api/operation Change the Powerwall mode and Reserve Percentage

Note 1: Making changes to the Powerwalls via the Mobile application can take some time to go into effect. There's a rumor that states that the changes happen around 30 minutes past the hour. (Probably based on a cron job in Tesla's servers).

Note 2: Setting a value is not sufficient to make the change. You must "save" or "commit" the configuration to have it go into effect. See the Config Completed section below.

Note 3: Once a value is changed and committed it is immediately in effect

From what I recall I had to call a combination of::

GET /api/sitemaster/run UPDATE: You need to be authenticated for this command This starts the powerwalls & gateway. Use this after getting an authentication token to restart the powerwalls.

Request: curl --cacert cacert.pem https://powerwall/api/sitemaster/run

Response:
Returns HTTPS Status 202 if request is accepted

GET /api/config/completed UPDATE: You need to be authenticated for this command This applies configuration changes.

Request: curl --cacert cacert.pem https://powerwall/api/config/completed

Response: Returns HTTP Status 202 if input accepted

I am not doing anything with the API etc, but I can tell you that my changes using the regular tesla app happen almost instantly. When I first got the powerwall in january,there was a delay of up to an hour, but it hasnt been that way for quite some time.

I can change from self powered to backup mode and it takes place on the gateway within a few seconds at most. Note, I have my powerwall on a wired ethernet connection on my network, not cellular or wifi.