Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Club of NM evicted from International Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The New Mexico Tesla Club members decided to show their cars to visitors going to the Albuquerque International Auto Show being held at the Albuquerque Convention Center. We decided to meet on the top level of the Convention Center Parking Garage and to show our cars and answer questions from interested visitors to the auto show.

Shortly after arriving at the upper level of the parking garage they were asked by the convention center staff to leave the area or be evicted Welcome to New Mexico the land of Enchantment?? See the video below::

I'm 70D owner but I'm going to call it as I see it - you look petty posting a public video in which two guys with $100,000 cars try to embarrass a $10/hr working class security guard barely able to pay his rent and who was just doing his job and following someone else's orders.

All your video proves is that a couple of dweebs standing next to their expensive electric cars in the cold are butt hurt when security asks them to leave someone else's party. They were SO butt hurt they took the time to edit a video, write captions and upload it to Youtube as though they were publicizing some kind of meaningful injustice.

Whether or not you were within your legal rights to be on that property and do what you were doing is not my point - you just made yourselves look petty by making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:
I'm 70D owner but I'm going to call it as I see it - you look petty posting a public video in which two guys with $100,000 cars try to embarrass a $10/hr working class security guard barely able to pay his rent and who was just doing his job and following someone else's orders.

All your video proves is that a couple of dweebs standing next to their expensive electric cars in the cold are butt hurt when security asks them to leave someone else's party. They were SO butt hurt they took the time to edit a video, write captions and upload it to Youtube as though they were publicizing some kind of meaningful injustice.

Whether or not you were within your legal rights to be on that property and do what you were doing is not my point - you just made yourselves look petty by making a mountain out of a molehill.
thanks for saving me from having to play the video. :)

Yep, +10 calisnow.

And I own a 2015 P85D and 85D, if it matters.
You people who call yourselves Christians...

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
Wow, I'm shocked at the negative responses to the posting of this video. Very shortsighted. There was no embarrassment going on, merely one standing up for one's rights.

What rights are those?

While I applaud the owners for finding a way to 'get in' and show the cars, I also assume the Convention Center has a right to ask anyone to leave that they wish. I thought the security guard was exceedingly polite.

The convention makes money by renting booth space to those who wish to display their vehicles to the public. Lots of advertising and promotion is done to bring in the people.

Trying to tag along for free is constantly discouraged by security. Happens all the time to vendors and agenda motivated individuals that want to get the glory without paying the fee.

From the limited facts in the video it appears as if the event was open to the public and held at a public facility. So no, the convention center does not have the right to ask anyone to leave for any reason. One could surmise that is the reason the police were unable to make the private citizens leave the public facility.

What rights are those?

While I applaud the owners for finding a way to 'get in' and show the cars, I also assume the Convention Center has a right to ask anyone to leave that they wish. I thought the security guard was exceedingly polite.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
These auto shows are organized by the local dealer association. The point of the video wasn't the security guard, it was that the auto dealer cartel called the security guard to stop the Tesla owners from showing their cars in the parking garage. I think it's great the local Tesla owners tried to tweak the auto dealer cartel like this. It's even better that they got away with it as the police didn't find a cause to make them leave. What other auto manufacturer would have owners this passionate?

Reactions: Justicepool
Isn't it normal for convention centers to rent themselves out to private functions? I'm not sure that, for example, being a member of the public entitles me to enter that Rolling Stones concert without a ticket...or some other such control.

Pushing back on the issue and giving those people who were just doing their job a hard time was really unnecessary.

It wasn't just the security guard & conference center people over there.

There is a break in the recording between second 51 and 52 when you were about to introduce everybody - who were the other people in the recording?

If this was anybody from the association, then he is pushing back against the right people - not just the messenger.

Isn't it normal for convention centers to rent themselves out to private functions? I'm not sure that, for example, being a member of the public entitles me to enter that Rolling Stones concert without a ticket...or some other such control.
They weren't in the convention center. They were parked in the garage. If it's like most convention center garages, you don't have to be attending an event to park there, you just have to pay the parking fee.

I believe it was stupid for the dealers association to ask the two owners to leave.

I thought the convention center would have been private property (in which case I believe the owners would have been obligated to leave). Looking it up, it looks like the City of Albuquerque owns it. While that "kinda" makes it public, I still think they have the right to ask anyone to leave. For example, city hall is owned by the city but you don't have a right to stay in it as long as you wish.

Not sure we need a video to know that the dealer association is a bunch of d-bags that are afraid of competition. That's common knowledge.