TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tesla co-founder Ian Wright snags FedEx for new hybrid engines

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Lump, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Lump

Lump Active Member

Mar 31, 2013
    So. Cal.
    Tesla co-founder Ian Wright snags FedEx for new hybrid engines - SFGate
  2. swaltner

swaltner Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Kansas, USA
    Congrats to Wrightspeed! I hope this pans out for them. I browse their web site every once in a while to see if they ever do anything with the X1.

I blame Ian Wright for me having an Ariel Atom in the garage. Years ago when I was looking at the DIY plug-in hybrid conversions, I ran across the Wrightspeed X1, eventually heard it was built using an Atom chassis, eventually got a passenger ride in an Atom on a race track and "had to have one". :) If I ever had engine trouble with the Atom, I'd love to replace the drive train with an electric one.
  3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Aug 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    If it weren't for Ian's giving X1 "proof of concept rides" in the early days of Tesla, they might not have gotten the funding need to get where they are today.
    After riding in the X1, there was no question that EVs can be high performance.
    It has an AC propulsion AC150 drivetrain, so someone else could go that route to convert their Aeriel Atom.
    Not sure about his battery... Maybe Kokam pouch cells? Also, he has some nice display readouts that go beyond what you could get from ACP.