Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla coercing software updates!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny this thread is called "Tesla coercing software updates!?!" because when users refuse to update their cars they are effectively "corercing" Tesla to keep supporting old legacy code and infrastructure that may otherwise be depreciated and also takes away software engineer's time to work on new code and keeping the codebase in good order.

As a software engineer it seriously grinds my gears to see this thread… :eek: Software updates are there for reason. Just keep your damn cars up to date. I feel bad for the engineers that need to keep legacy code mixed in just because some people don't like a few changes here and there to their software experience.

TL;DR: Just update your damn car.

as an experienced software engineer myself, this is exactly why I refuse updates. If there is something critical they are fixing, it should be part of the release notes. Most of their releases now are about nerfing capabilities and taking features away. Since their release notes are typically completely 'blank', I see absolutely no compelling reason to update.

Last edited:
You missed the point.

No, it's you who is missing the very valid point.

Given that this is a new use of technology - updating vehicles away from service centres - Tesla has been cut a lot of slack but it's past time now to look again at the issue.

What's to stop Tesla issuing two levels of updates? One that updates the number of farts the thing can access, and one that prevents charging fires, for example?

Seems pretty much a no-brainer to me.

Im going to say profitability and lack of competition. It costs a lot to maintain an additional code branch and this is unlikely the reason to be why most folks don’t buy another Tesla for the time being. I don’t see other manufacturers having multiple code trains any time soon...

The release notes focus on features for sure. Vary rarely do they state bug fixes but I’m sure they are there.

This message specifically says its to improve security, we don’t know exactly what it fixes but sure likely due to VPN and Websockets changes I’m sure they do minor security patches constantly. If they use any open source technologies like OpenSSL there are patches and vulnerabilities every few months. It would be irresponsible of them not to patch devices or else they need to cut off support to those hold outs.

as an experienced software engineer myself, this is exactly why I refuse updates. If there is something critical they are fixing, it should be part of the release notes. Most of their releases now are about nerfing capabilities and taking features away. Since their release notes are typically completely 'blank', I see absolutely no compelling reason to update.

What actually percentage of software updates are “nerfing capabilities and taking features away”? Or is this just conjecture?

What actually percentage of software updates are “nerfing capabilities and taking features away”? Or is this just conjecture?

I'm not sure about %, however sometimes 1 is enough. What if your car was out of warranty, then a update no longer let you charge or drive your car unless you buy a new battery? And no explanation why the battery is no longer usable and needs to be replaced for 17k? Would you really care how many % of updates nerf?

No, it's you who is missing the very valid point.

Given that this is a new use of technology - updating vehicles away from service centres - Tesla has been cut a lot of slack but it's past time now to look again at the issue.

What's to stop Tesla issuing two levels of updates? One that updates the number of farts the thing can access, and one that prevents charging fires, for example?

Seems pretty much a no-brainer to me.

That kind of explanation would be nice. However that was never presented as the reason for massive limiting battery use.

I got these alerts from Tesla this morning.
I think they're trying to tell me something?
I just can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?

upload_2020-2-28_21-20-6.png

I'm not sure about %, however sometimes 1 is enough. What if your car was out of warranty, then a update no longer let you charge or drive your car unless you buy a new battery? And no explanation why the battery is no longer usable and needs to be replaced for 17k? Would you really care how many % of updates nerf?

Sure you can "What if" anything. Like this: What if the software update made the car even better?

I'm asking for facts about which updates actually "nerfed capabilities and/or took features away". Not interested in "what ifs". From what I've seen, I only recall software updates that have made Teslas better cars overall. I'm genuinely wondering what the issue is with updating Tesla software.

Sure you can "What if" anything. Like this: What if the software update made the car even better?

I'm asking for facts about which updates actually "nerfed capabilities and/or took features away". Not interested in "what ifs". From what I've seen, I only recall software updates that have made Teslas better cars overall. I'm genuinely wondering what the issue is with updating Tesla software.
I can point to an old post of mine, if that helps. It's really a partial list of things off the top of my head at the time.

It's not a if..... Multiple cars have lost most of their range 60-70% after this update.

S60 Battery issue Car Build

Reactions: aerodyne
Wow, I'm a real dinosaur with my 2018.32.4 software, huh. I don't remember getting that message yet in my car (NOTE: my memory bites), but darn, I presumably will get it or at least will be affected by the change, notice or no. Bummer.

Maybe my software is too old to get the warning, LOL. Like when our HWPC was dead for a while and we had to use a not-as-nearby-as-I'd've-liked Supercharger periodically for my Model S85 and my other half's Model X. The X had the latest OS but got a warning about limited charging due to the SC being busy (I forget, maybe a limit to how full it would charge?). In contrast, mine didn't do that and I could charge to 90% like I wanted to. It was very frustrating for my other half, and confusing for both of us till we figured out it must be a "feature" added in some later OS.

Anyway, I get why this is happening, but I can still hate it and I do. Tesla was foolish and IMHO short-sighted (lost opportunity to influence non-upgraders more) for not keeping the old OS in maintenance mode for truly critical updates. They could've done that, never updated it except for something huge like this, and let classic S owners like me (pre-AP! so classic) choose to stay in that code stream without headaches. Le sigh.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread so I know what's coming. Thanks to the folks who reported and screenshot the notice.

I took my car in for its annual checkup (part of the 8 year maintenance plan). Tesla updated the firmware to 2020.4.1 due to a notice in their system about the need to update to maintain connectivity. So be aware that if you received the update notice requirement and take the car in for service, it will be updated.

On a side note, check everything before leaving. Tesla did a factory reset of the MCU before updating the firmware. This deletes navigation points, profiles, etc. It also apparently deletes the calibration of the optical sensor door handles. When I parked the car and left, I noticed a door handle that had previously been replaced with the updated optical sensor unit would retract, extend, retract, etc. it would do this several times before finally staying retracted. Had to drive back to Tesla and have them recalibrate the door sensor. They did not realize that the door handle had been upgraded to the optical sensor version.

Wow, I'm a real dinosaur with my 2018.32.4 software, huh. I don't remember getting that message yet in my car (NOTE: my memory bites), but darn, I presumably will get it or at least will be affected by the change, notice or no. Bummer.

@kendallpb And here I thought I'd have the oldest software out there with 2018.36.2 version but you have me beat.
I just got an email today about needing to upgrade by May 1, 2020, Ugh!
I also never received a notice about this in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
Those of you on older versions who are thinking "I may as well upgrade in case there are problems": please make careful note of your current rated range at full charge before you update, and then take the same measurement after the update to compare the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm currently taking measures to ban Tesla from tinkering with my software without my permission in the future. I'll retain app access with this method. The only conditions under which they'll be allowed to update my software is for installing a new battery under warranty.

Thread bump!

Looks like Tesla lived up to their promise. I went to update my software today from 2019.32.2.2 and, doh! I can't!

I even put the car on wifi, and still no updates.

You'd think they would leave the last viable version (2019.42.2.3) staged to install, but I don't have that either.

But all other functions are normal: App access, streaming, voice commands, etc.

Thread bump!

Looks like Tesla lived up to their promise. I went to update my software today from 2019.32.2.2 and, doh! I can't!

I even put the car on wifi, and still no updates.

You'd think they would leave the last viable version (2019.42.2.3) staged to install, but I don't have that either.

But all other functions are normal: App access, streaming, voice commands, etc.
the problem is you now have openvpn process needlessly draining cpu and wasting emmc writes by doing tons of logging about how it cannot connect to the mothership, though.

But yes, anything above 19.8.x would retain full functionality otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
the problem is you now have openvpn process needlessly draining cpu and wasting emmc writes by doing tons of logging about how it cannot connect to the mothership, though.

But yes, anything above 19.8.x would retain full functionality otherwise.

Well, I can’t drive my car anyway because I’m also getting “Acceleration Reduced, service needed” and “Car needs service, power reduced” errors. The car drives but it’s in a brutal limp mode, I doubt I’d be able to drive it 45 minutes to the SC. We might have to get it towed there.