Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Collecting State Sales Tax? Your recent registration experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finalized my payment for our Model 3. I was surprised to see that the Sales contract had 6.25% sales tax included along with $272.25 worth of license, registration and inspection fees. There was no specificity as to the taxing agencies on the contract.

When we got our S (12/28/2012), it arrived with temporary California Plates and we paid sales tax at the tax office when registering the car.

So, I'm just double checking that they are collecting taxes for Texas (and not CA). I'm also curious whether they will have get the license plates sent to the Dallas Service center. It is a pain to drive down there to pick them up, and it would be quicker and easier for me to grab them up in Collin County where the car will live.

This question is for anyone who recently purchased a new S, X or 3 in Texas. How did Tesla handle the tax, title, registration and license plates for your purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

They changed the process since last year to make it less painful. They now collect the tax and handle everything (behind the scene, there is a third party title company helping them), you will get a temporary texas tag and you will receive your plates to your house through fed-ex. I got mine last year but I have to request for an extension of the temp tag since somehow the real plates were not on time or somehow the title company messed up - I actually get several fed-ex delivery notifications from the same title company but those are not for me.

The SA can even give you the fed-ex tracking number on delivery since it's already entered in the system.