Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla collects all your information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this too when I went to the drive in this weekend. There is just no way to turn the screen off. I thought ah yes, I’ll do screen cleaning mode but how annoying and bright that new instruction page is. So I next said ah yes, camp mode. And after a few minutes the campfire came on, luckily with no sound like romance mode.. but I thought for sure there’s a monitor off toggle in camp mode, if I tap the screen or something that goes away, right? I mean, if I were camping and trying to sleep, I’d eventually want DARKNESS. Crazy how that didn’t come up when they were developing it.
I guess the screen does make a good coat rack for a hoodie or a towel. Need somewhere to wipe my hands after the popcorn anyway :)
What railroads were to the 19th century, and oil to the 20th century, data mining and collection is the 21st century’s most lucrative industry; you cannot turn off your Tesla screen because everywhere you drive, and everything you say, is collected by Tesla and sold to 3rd parties. Are you not at least somewhat curious as to why Tesla, and all auto makers, now have screens on the dashboard? They are digitally recording every single thing you do, and say, and selling it.

What railroads were to the 19th century, and oil to the 20th century, data mining and collection is the 21st century’s most lucrative industry; you cannot turn off your Tesla screen because everywhere you drive, and everything you say, is collected by Tesla and sold to 3rd parties. Are you not at least somewhat curious as to why Tesla, and all auto makers, now have screens on the dashboard? They are digitally recording every single thing you do, and say, and selling it.
Welcome to the forum, it is an interesting first post. You seem to state outright that Tesla is recording and collecting in-cabin audio (and possibly video) and that they are selling this data and telemetry data to 3rd parties to monitize it. It as a pretty bold statement, but I am open to learn more.

What is your source for this info? How can I learn more bout what you seem to know a great deal about already?

As an aside, you do know that screens do not collect data - they are output/display devices.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt it one bit. We all should assume that's exactly what's happening :). I'm going to put a piece of tape over the supposedly deactivated cabin camera, just in case. Ha ha. That's the most creepy intrusion IMO. I did the same thing with my computer, since I never use the camera. I turn as much crap as I can figure out on computer and phones, but I know a ton of data is still being collected off me. That's the price you have to pay if you want to stay connected with the world. And same thing with your TV, and even your printer. It's scary indeed.