Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Collision Center refused to take other insurance than AAA and Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I was rear-ended two weeks ago and the damage is really bad so I contacted several Tesla collision centers including Santa Monica, San Juan Capistrano, and Las Vegas (where the accident happened). They all refused to take my model Y since I am with Farmers insurance. They explained that they used to work with Farmers and Farmers refused to pay the labor fee so they no longer take Farmers anymore. Also they mentioned currently they only take AAA and Tesla insurance. I am more preferred to get Tesla collision center to repair my car rather than a certified body shop. Did anyone have similar experience before and any suggestions on what I can do?

I sort of understand what is going on here as insurance companies dictate to repair shops what they will pay. But I would check with your Insurance Commissioner.

Personally, I would have no issue using a certified shop over Tesla and in fact I would prefer it. I have a local shop I have used for 30+ years (thanks to my kids) and I trust them a lot more than Tesla.

I sort of understand what is going on here as insurance companies dictate to repair shops what they will pay. But I would check with your Insurance Commissioner.

Personally, I would have no issue using a certified shop over Tesla and in fact I would prefer it. I have a local shop I have used for 30+ years (thanks to my kids) and I trust them a lot more than Tesla.
The shop I'm dealing with is a Tesla Certified shop, not Tesla themselves. They've been in business since 1965 and are certified to repair just about every brand out there.

It's very similar. Farmers not paying the higher rates for Tesla repairs.
Where are you located? If you are in Los Angeles Area I can recommend the certified body shop I finally chose which is also a preferred shop by Farmers. The adjuster told me I can choose any shop I want but I might need to pay out of pocket repair fee if I do not use their preferred shop. Also my lawyer suggested me to go with my insurance company about the repair since the other party's insurance might low ball me as much as they can.

In NY it is law that you can select any collision shop. Geico suggested I use one of theirs as they'll process it faster but even when talking to the rep he added that it is up to you. There was one that was both Tesla and Geico authorized in the NYC area but they were too far.

Where are you located? If you are in Los Angeles Area I can recommend the certified body shop I finally chose which is also a preferred shop by Farmers. The adjuster told me I can choose any shop I want but I might need to pay out of pocket repair fee if I do not use their preferred shop. Also my lawyer suggested me to go with my insurance company about the repair since the other party's insurance might low ball me as much as they can.
I'm up in Ventura county. After much fighting, Farmers and the body shop came to an agreement. I take my car in tomorrow to get the repair done.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I in the process of shopping for insurance for a new Tesla. I have had Geico for several years. If I find that the rates for Geico, another insurance company (eg. Progressive or Allstate), and Tesla are similar, would it make sense to just go with the Tesla insurance? I am wondering if Tesla is reluctant to pay claims. Having read this post, I want to try to avoid a different insurance company if they give me a hard time about certain repairs or repair shops. For context, I live in California. I realize that the safety score involved with Tesla insurance should not affect my rate in California. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

If you go with Tesla insurance they turn on Safety Score. IT’S NOT VERY GOOD. I actually got a hard braking hit today using regen only. It has no feed back to tell you if you do anything wrong. When you get home you can check the app to see what it saw that you didn’t. No way to adjust your driving other than never touch the brake pedal if you are using regen. If someone changes lanes too close in front of you, YOU are following too close.
If you want to turn your Tesla into a Prius, go with Tesla Insurance or be prepared to pay larger premiums