Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Collision Driving my car (>100 miles so far)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got rear-ended back in May. Car has been in the shop for around 3 months now. Communications have been pretty decent so no complaints there. Typical "wait for parts" was around 3 weeks witch could have been worse. And here's where things get interesting:

This morning I checked and noticed that the car was driving. Then I checked the miles it was 90 miles more than when I dropped it off. So I started screen recording the drive. Car this morning was at 23% charge, then when I checked it while it was driving it was 32% charged and driving at highway speeds. Car then drove for around 20 more miles (in Service mode, so couldn't see where it was) for around 30 minutes. It then seemingly pulled into the Tesla Collision center and got plugged in. It pretty clearly started discharging the car which I didn't know was the case. The Charging cable was red instead of green and the battery percent was decreasing around a mile per minute. Car was plugged in at around 26% when parked and discharged in around 5-7 min down to 24% roughly.

Really would like people's thoughts on how this could be anything other than someone taking my car home from work every day.

Sign up for Tessi and that will show you a lot more information, even around the "service mode" blocks.

You can play it gentle or blow it out of proportion but if I was you I would assume that the car was stolen until confirmed otherwise. Here in Seattle they had a break in at a Tesla shop and at least one customers car was stolen for several days before Tesla notified him. Obviously no one at Tesla would be driving your car home every night so a reasonable person would assume that someone took the vehicle without Tesla's knowledge.

Another option would be to go to wherever the vehicle is parked overnight and take some pictures of it and then share it with your local news stations investigative reporter. I am sure they would love a story where a huge company like Tesla is allowing their employees to drive around customers cars like their own personal loaner cars. I would love to see the service managers face when a news crew knocks on his door at 8 PM with lights and a camera and asks him whos Tesla he drove home from work today. In the Seattle area we have a news guy named Jesse Jones and a segment called get Jesse and he goes after people doing bad stuff and tries to bring attention to it to either get it to stop or to get them punished for it. A lot of news stations have similar reporters.

Calling Tesla and complaining will only stop them from doing this with your car, it won't stop or fix the fact that it is being allowed in the first place. Putting them on the news for it in a major TV market could stop it altogether.

Reactions: whisperingshad