Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Collision Repair shops can be expensive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellow Tesla Owners:

Through my own stupidity I brushed against my garage door facia and scrapped my brand new 2023 Model Y. I went to 3 Tesla repair shops: One wanted $3,000.00, another wouldn’t repair it unless i went through my insurance company and the third wanted $2,600.00. I went to my GM dealership and he charged me $500.00. The GM Dealership did a wonderful repair job with the paint a perfect match up. We must be very careful not to let Tesla repair shops over charge us.

Attachments

• E21DC1F6-8415-4293-9509-007ADFC83975.jpeg
    E21DC1F6-8415-4293-9509-007ADFC83975.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 7BC43DEC-0D5E-40C1-A3B5-C25D8540A775.jpeg
    7BC43DEC-0D5E-40C1-A3B5-C25D8540A775.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 125AE995-14FF-40CF-8F04-5BF05AEE3FEC.jpeg
    125AE995-14FF-40CF-8F04-5BF05AEE3FEC.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 100
Hello Fellow Tesla Owners:

Through my own stupidity I brushed against my garage door facia and scrapped my brand new 2023 Model Y. I went to 3 Tesla repair shops: One wanted $3,000.00, another wouldn’t repair it unless i went through my insurance company and the third wanted $2,600.00. I went to my GM dealership and he charged me $500.00. The GM Dealership did a wonderful repair job with the paint a perfect match up. We must be very careful not to let Tesla repair shops over charge us.

Thank you for the tip. Shopping around is often worthwhile.

Note: I noticed the red dot on your tire. I wonder if it was not supposed to be located next the the air valve, to help when balancing the wheel?

Thank you for the tip. Shopping around is often worthwhile.

Note: I noticed the red dot on your tire. I wonder if it was not supposed to be located next the the air valve, to help when balancing the wheel?
I never heard of the red dot being near the valve. I only have the car a month and the tires were installed at the Fremont factory. But! Thank you for the tip!

I never heard of the red dot being near the valve. I only have the car a month and the tires were installed at the Fremont factory. But! Thank you for the tip!

Because it’s nearly impossible to manufacture a perfectly balanced,
perfectly round tire, manufacturers identify any irregularities with these dots of paint.
The dots then help service technicians correctly install and balance the tire.
The yellow dots identify where a tire weighs the least—the lightest point on a tire.
The yellow dot should be lined up and directly next to the valve stem, which is the wheel’s heaviest point.

The red dots identify where the tire is flattest—the lowest point on a tire.
The red dot should be directly across from the highest point of the wheel,
which is usually indicated by a colored dot or a notch on the wheel.

Note: If you remove the wheel cover, I suspect that you should be able to notice
a mark on the wheel, such as a notch or a colored dot, next to the red dot on the tire.

Last edited:
Expensive? I'll tell you what is expensive. Somebody went into my rear quarter panel and completely crunched it, but there was no other damage. The charge port was untouched, the rear door was untouched, only the bumper had some scrapes. I drove it like nothing had happened afterwards while waiting for the insurance adjuster and there were no issues whatsoever. The cost? $21,000. The Tesla authorized shop negotiated with my insurance so I'm covered, but that's more than half the cost of the car!