Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com Model 3 Page Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is old news. That page has been available since the delivery event. I've probably read everything on it about 100x now.

Thanks for confirming this. I checked days after the event, and didn't see any change so I thought it might be new. I must have been getting linked to a different English speaking version of the site that hadn't been changed. I notice that the Model 3 page for every other country I've check currently reroutes to the US version of the page.

Thanks for the responses.

I have to admit it's a quibble, but putting the charging port at the rear of the vehicle doesn't make much sense to me. 99% of the time, I park head-in, so the charging port is about as far from the wall outlet as it can get. I have no desire to cut or jack through my new driveway to put a connection close to the port.

A concern that was raised in the early days of the Model S too (when compared to the nose port on the Nissan Leaf) but, I've found even the really large and wide Model S to be incredibly easy to maneuver in reverse into a tight parking spot in my garage; with Creep off and with the aid of the guide lines in the rear view camera along with the ultrasound sensors, I can guide it into position with surgical precision and then plugin with ease. The smaller 3 should be even easier.

I have to admit it's a quibble, but putting the charging port at the rear of the vehicle doesn't make much sense to me. 99% of the time, I park head-in, so the charging port is about as far from the wall outlet as it can get. I have no desire to cut or jack through my new driveway to put a connection close to the port.
My preference is the charging port in the front also but I have been able to deal with it on the Model S.

• Disagree
Reactions: tescroft
Every Tesla ever made, including the Roadster, has had the charge port located on the drivers side at the rear. Tesla is continuing that design with the Model 3. It is not the perfect location for every owner, but on the whole it works very well. If the charge port was in the center front then some people would also complain about that. No single location is ideal for everyone.

The smaller 3 should be even easier.

The Model 3 is about one foot shorter and one inch smaller than the model S.
Do you really think that maneuvering will be easier?

Model S - Length 4,976 mm (195.9 in)
Model 3 - Length 4,690 mm (184.8 in)

Model S - Width 1,964 mm (77.3 in)
Model 3 - Width 1,930 mm (76.1 in)

I have to admit it's a quibble, but putting the charging port at the rear of the vehicle doesn't make much sense to me.

Technically, it's on the rear side. Some cars, like the Mercedes have it on the back near the license plate.

I think that one important issue will be the location of the wireless coil charging device, if any?

I think that there should be a standard location for the future wireless coil, because if charging
in the street while parked using wireless charging become common (principally to avoid vandalism) ,
if some cars have the device on the front, other in the middle, and other cars have the device on the back,
it will be a real nightmare.

In the case of parallel parking in the street, which is the majority of the cases in any city,
each parking slot then will need to be twice as long to accommodate the different cases of the coil location.

There's also something like this as a solution.

IMG_1014.PNG

good thing the provided cord is like 20' long

Still is a hassle to have to roll up the cord each morning so you don't back the car over it on the way out.

I live on a few acres and my driveway is very long. Backing into the garage is a pain.

I would think dead center front would make the most sense (though be ugly and probably a pain for the frunk).

It's not a huge issue, but I have been puzzled by the placement. Seems a pain to use with super chargers too.

Still is a hassle to have to roll up the cord each morning so you don't back the car over it on the way out.
Perhaps you can hang it from the ceiling to keep it out of the way, as some of us do:

Model S in garage1665edsf 4-16-16.jpg
I live on a few acres and my driveway is very long. Backing into the garage is a pain.
If you back out of the garage, how do you turn around to drive up the driveway? Or do you back out the whole way? I also have a large lot and 400 foot long driveway but I designed a small turnaround area that allows me to back into the garage. Sure makes it easier when heading out.
I would think dead center front would make the most sense (though be ugly and probably a pain for the frunk).

It's not a huge issue, but I have been puzzled by the placement. Seems a pain to use with super chargers too.
While I also preferred the front and center charge port of the LEAF, it turns out that the rear camera and the parking sensors make it really easy to back into parking. It actually makes it safer when leaving because one can see the cross traffic; when backing out of a parking space the adjacent cars — often hulking SUVs or trucks — block the view of traffic and pedestrians before they appear on the backup camera. It is a subtle difference but quite real. Anyway, some newer Supercharger stations do have head-in parking.

I believe you know your driveway best for sure, but my experience is that I'm actually surprised at how much easier it is for me to back into our particular garage than pull in forward. (It wasn't the case with previous cars.) Our driveway is ~150ft long and has a bend in it so I can't drive straight in to the garage, which is two single doors - which have about 6" of clearance beyond the mirrors. Using the backup camera, I've gotten really good at backing down the whole driveway fast and into the garage. The only time this is an issue is in the winter when the camera sometimes gets snow covered. And that is a bummer!