Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allowing AP autosteer up to 75mph would have required a lot of testing and validation actually.
Honestly, valid point. I will accept delivery of it when the time comes (though I did email the delivery center when this news broke and asked to be matched with a fully functional car if possible).

I’m just very dissatisfied with this change after expecting it to have full features for 2 months (as I think any new buyer would). Really what gets me is the fact it’s so last minute. If I had known about this i would’ve ordered a refreshed S or looked at the used market.

Here, Tesla Vision is able to see the sedan + large truck in front of it very early. Perhaps earlier than I've experienced in my own radar car. What's amazing here is that the car seems to predict the truck's distance very well and stably, with vision alone:

• Informative
Reactions: Darblish
Here, Tesla Vision is able to see the sedan + large truck in front of it very early.
I hope that vision is able to see vehicles that humans can also easily see. This case is easy in that the front vehicle is much taller than the rear vehicle. Never the case radar was advertised as being advantageous for. If those vehicles were swapped, do you believe vision could have done that? To me "superhuman" means the system can do something a human cannot, not just that it's starting to do what humans can.

Reactions: powertoold
Unsaid is the fact that those with HW3 and paid FSD (our case, $8K and $6K in 2020 and 2018, respectively) will NOT get "Tesla Vision." With the abandonment of radar-equipped FSD betas (the 8.x city FSD), we are pushed to the back of the line.

How freakin' dumb is that?
What is dumb is thinking cars made until May 2021 won't get City FSD / NOA.

Interesting to note that AEB was active in the settings despite the NHTSA and Consumer Reports indications that it is not. Fair to assume it's a question of "present but not validated"?
I just hope my insurance company doesn’t base their safety-feature discounts on the NHTSA report. If they still see a list of missing functionality when they add the policy, then I don’t imagine I’ll have an easy time convincing them later on that it exists.

Reactions: savicbo
to turn the lights on.

What is dumb is thinking cars made until May 2021 won't get City FSD / NOA.
Dude, did I ever say "won't get?" I'm saying we likely won't be at the front of the line for TeslaVision FSD. It sounds like Tesla chooses not to simply ignore radar to put all HW3 variants at parity,. This suggests that won't happen until the feature sets of Tesla Vision reach parity +/- radar.

Interesting to note that AEB was active in the settings despite the NHTSA and Consumer Reports indications that it is not. Fair to assume it's a question of "present but not validated"?
I noted that from the video too. Sounds like things are occurring like what I said. The features are still present, just that they have not been tested to pass the regulatory standard.
As discussed in the other thread, while AEB compliance may be "voluntary", NHTSA is using the safety ratings as a "stick" to get automakers in line with their commitments (which is the justification for not making it "mandatory" in the first place). As for Tesla having it on the site, while NHTSA is removing the checkmark, I'm reminded of the initial AP2 AEB roll out. The car technically had "AEB" but it didn't meet standard test criteria (done by Consumer Reports at the time). I imagine in this case, it does not meet NHTSA's NCAP standards as discussed in the previous thread. Again, doesn't need to be "mandatory" to not be a regulatory standard.
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Automatic Emergency Braking

Reactions: savicbo and Jeff N
The features are still present, just that they have not been tested to pass the regulatory standard.
Can anyone point me to the law/regulation/policy that says NHTSA won't consider a function to be AEB unless it has passed a specific test, and what that specific test is? It would be interesting to see what Tesla is unable to currently prove they do, which they were able to prove before.

Can anyone point me to the law/regulation/policy that says NHTSA won't consider a function to be AEB unless it has passed a specific test, and what that specific test is? It would be interesting to see what Tesla is unable to currently prove they do, which they were able to prove before.

Apparently, there are test procedures. This is what I could find in my cursory search:

"tested with the agency’s August 2014 draft crash‐imminent braking (CIB) and dynamic brake support (DBS) test procedures."

Reactions: stopcrazypp