Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine relying solely on car sensors (vision, radar, or lidar, etc) in poor conditions. For me, if visibility isn't great, I'm always going to want to take more control of my vehicle, or not drive at all.

Sure, even when I'm taking control, I want all the safety assistance I can get from my car. But maybe I have lower expectations than some of you? Do ya'll really hope for (and expect) a car to provide fully autonomous driving in all weather conditions? In the near future, or 20 years from now? 10? 5?

Reactions: elguapo and WhiteWi
You aren’t supposed to use AP in those conditions regardless.
Are you being sarcastic?

He is not talking about a monsoon or a blizzard.
You should be able to use those features in rain, snow, most weather...
The problem -- for humans -- is in determining when they should NOT be driving their car, an FSD car should be able to determine that more consistently and pull over safely.

When heavy rain turns to tropical storm and ppl should not be driving.
Or snow turns into a whiteout and again, ppl should not be driving.

Reactions: Darblish and DanCar
Are you being sarcastic?

He is not talking about a monsoon or a blizzard.
You should be able to use those features in rain, snow, most weather...
The problem -- for humans -- is in determining when they should NOT be driving their car, an FSD car should be able to determine that more consistently and pull over safely.

When heavy rain turns to tropical storm and ppl should not be driving.
Or snow turns into a whiteout and again, ppl should not be driving.
Read manual my man.

Read manual my man.
But seriously, the manual does not say to not use the features in rain...
This blurb is used for every autopilot feature... "weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc) make it inappropriate"

1625003653238.png

There is no other prohibition (a la "Do not use") for driving in rain, snow, fog.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi and DanCar
I took the "they" in Elon's statement back then to mean NHTSA doing the testing (as mentioned in that sentence), not Tesla. As in "NHTSA automatically removes the check mark for any cars with new hardware until they (NHTSA) retest, which is happening next week, but the functionality is actually there."
Same thing with IIHS's rating (IIHS doing the testing, not Tesla). Someone else claimed upthread that NHTSA didn't need to do any testing, only Tesla, so NHTSA is not involved at all. The statement Reuters got from NHTSA however implies that NHTSA is still making a decision on 2022 Model Year testing and that the features would be evaluated as part of that testing (not a test that should have happened weeks ago).
For anyone still following this progress, IIHS has done the testing and restored their rating, and CR has followed suit (not waiting for NHTSA results). I guess the NHTSA testing is kind of moot as IIHS tends to be tougher, so the probability of passing IIHS and not NHTSA is very slim.

Inside EVs reports also that an update has just launched to restore smart summon, emergency lane departure avoidance, and bump up the AP speed to 80mph. Elon also said they are working on an update to top every individual test.

Last edited:
I love how it is back to normal while all the haters were this is the end my friend just a week ago.

I'm pretty damn far from a tesla hater, but it's not "back to normal" yet- still has restricted speed (now 80 instead of 75, compared to 90 if you have radar) and follow distance (still a min of 3, vs 1 with radar) and still requires auto highbeams to work.

It's certainly a very positive sign they were able to remove some of the restrictions as soon as this though, and it'll be interesting to see how quickly they can remove the rest (though I'm unsure the auto HB will ever go away given the physical HW limitations in low light).... or if they ever reach a point they can raise some of them above what the radar system allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty damn far from a tesla hater, but it's not "back to normal" yet- still has restricted speed (now 80 instead of 75, compared to 90 if you have radar) and follow distance (still a min of 3, vs 1 with radar) and still requires auto highbeams to work.

It's certainly a very positive sign they were able to remove some of the restrictions as soon as this though, and it'll be interesting to see how quickly they can remove the rest (though I'm unsure the auto HB will ever go away given the physical HW limitations in low light).... or if they ever reach a point they can raise some of them above what the radar system allowed.

I'm sure the restricted cruise control speed will go up to at least 85 in future Tesla Vision releases. Not sure it should ever be raised above 90, even if capable. Personally, I try to never drive above 80 (unless overtaking a hazardous condition), so I'm good with the new update.

Is minimum distance relative or absolute (is the 3 setting the same physical distance away from the lead car at all speeds, or the same temporal distance away, or something else)? I think I'm good with 3.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm sure the restricted cruise control speed will go up to at least 85 in future Tesla Vision releases. Not sure it should ever be raised above 90, even if capable. Personally, I try to never drive above 80 (unless overtaking a hazardous condition), so I'm good with the new update.

Is minimum distance relative or absolute (is the 3 setting the same physical distance away from the lead car at all speeds, or the same temporal distance away, or something else)? I think I'm good with 3.
I always used 7 in my radar X just to be safe. I think 2 and 1 are too close with or without a radar.

So my update came. No Smart Summon. Same version as what others are showing. It just enabled regular Summon and yes, I have FSD.

Side note, Sentry still doesn’t work and dashcam is iffy. I have the car three times today and not once has dash am recorded anything. Anyone else have that issue? Bugs, bugs, bugs.

Edit: Smart Summon was NOT mentioned in the features screen after update, but it IS now enabled when I look in the app. Super weird. Let’s see if it works or if I will have to pay for a new mailbox for my neighbor!

That's... got to be a bug right?

If it needs it it needs it.

If it doesn't, it doesn't.

So either it shouldn't require to turn on, or it shouldn't keep working if turned off.

Puzzled by the disagree here MP3Mike... what specifically do you disagree with?

Under what set of conditions do you think it makes sense to require AHB to activate AP but then it's ok to turn AHB off with AP still engaged?

What's the case you're imaging where that makes sense?

Any set of conditions I can think of either one, or the other, is wrong- which one is wrong depends on if Vision AP actually needs AHB or not.