Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a bug. Vision cars can turn off auto-highbeams without an autopilot kickout now (since 2021.4.18.10)

I'm not sure you understood my post.

The fact they can do that, but it still requires AHB on to activate AP, is the bug.

Because both of those being true makes no sense.

If TVAP (tesla vision autopilot) NEEDS auto high beams (AHB)- then requiring it to activate AP makes sense, but allowing you to then turn AHB off while AP is still active does not. So bug.

Or

If TVAP does NOT need AHB- then requiring it to activate AP does not make sense, and THAT is a bug.

Can you think of a situation where BOTH of these being true makes sense?

AHB is required to turn on AP.
AHB is not required to keep AP on.

Yet right now, both are true.

One of those is a bug.

Texas would like a word with you.
I've been on their 80mph and 85mph highways.
And people still pass you flying.

Definitely relative, and based on your speed.

yup. Wyoming and Montana have same higher speed limit interstates... and let's not forget about the largest market in Europe (Germany). if Tesla rolls out TV with a 80mph or even 85mph AP speed restrictions it's a no go... 81mph is the "recommended" speed on the autobahn but most go ~90mph or faster.

Reactions: Platini
and let's not forget about the largest market in Europe (Germany). if Tesla rolls out TV with a 80mph or even 85mph AP speed restrictions it's a no go..
I know it is difficult for you, but at least try harder.
Radar was only removed on NA market model 3/Y, so Germany will not be affected by this anyway.
And you cannot use Autosteer past 90 mph, so not really an autobahn issue to begin with, is it?

I'm not sure you understood my post.

The fact they can do that, but it still requires AHB on to activate AP, is the bug.

Because both of those being true makes no sense.

If TVAP (tesla vision autopilot) NEEDS auto high beams (AHB)- then requiring it to activate AP makes sense, but allowing you to then turn AHB off while AP is still active does not. So bug.

Or

If TVAP does NOT need AHB- then requiring it to activate AP does not make sense, and THAT is a bug.

Can you think of a situation where BOTH of these being true makes sense?

AHB is required to turn on AP.
AHB is not required to keep AP on.

Yet right now, both are true.

One of those is a bug.
I mildly disagree.

By default, emergency lane departure assist is on for every drive. If you turn it off, it resets back to on for the next drive.

The same logic does (and to an extent should) apply to auto highbeams. Just because I turn them off once (they're acting up on a particular drive), doesn't mean I never want them to be enabled on AP. I believe the current behavior is intended.

I mildly disagree.

By default, emergency lane departure assist is on for every drive. If you turn it off, it resets back to on for the next drive.

But that's not, at all, what it's doing here.

This isn't turning on AHB on by default for each drive and you can turn it right off with no other impact.

It's requiring you to have it on to engage AP.

The same logic does (and to an extent should) apply to auto highbeams. Just because I turn them off once (they're acting up on a particular drive), doesn't mean I never want them to be enabled on AP. I believe the current behavior is intended.

Again you are mixing up "turns on by default" with "is required to BE on in order to turn on a DIFFERENT feature"

Not at all comparable.

I know it is difficult for you, but at least try harder.
Radar was only removed on NA market model 3/Y, so Germany will not be affected by this anyway.
And you cannot use Autosteer past 90 mph, so not really an autobahn issue to begin with, is it?
eventually all will be TV unless Tesla wants to install radar for DE only and run a DE separate software.

and to come back to your point: 90mph limit for AP as currently in Germany is already being ridiculed as competitors go above that...

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd

This isn't turning on AHB on by default for each drive and you can turn it right off with no other impact.

Again you are mixing up "turns on by default" with "is required to BE on in order to turn on a DIFFERENT feature"

Not at all comparable.
If you have AHB off, doesn't it just turn on when you activate AP and then you can turn it off? If so, it's working like various car "defaults" that turn on when you turn on the car. All that indicates is the system "prefers" you have it on, but that's different from "requiring" you have it on.

If it requires you to have it on, it wouldn't let you turn it off.

I mildly disagree.

Wait, when did Emergency Lane Departure Assist get set back to 'on' for every drive? I thought they let you turn that off permanently after the outcry when they initially introduced it in 2019 and it would always default to on? I have avoided updating since December so I have not been subjected to the latest software settings. I would really hate to be subjected to the lane departure assist again (I have to depart my lane quite a bit from all the construction sites I have to go through, aka all of Pennsylvania).

If you have AHB off, doesn't it just turn on when you activate AP and then you can turn it off?

If AP needs AHB to activate then why doesn't it need it 10 seconds later when it apparently lets you turn it back off?

If it doesn't need it 10 seconds later with AP on- why did it need it to turn it on?

If so, it's working like various car "defaults" that turn on when you turn on the car.

.... no?

This isn't a "single thing defaults to on when the car turns on"

This is "You must have thing 1 turned on before you are allowed to turn on thing 2"

This is not a default setting, it's a dependency

If it requires you to have it on, it wouldn't let you turn it off.

But it DOES require you to have it on to activate AP.

Hence why the current behavior does not make sense.

if it needs it, then it needs it, and being able to turn it off while AP remains on is a bug.

If it doesn't need it, then it shouldn't REQUIRE it to be turned on before you can turn AP on, and THAT is a bug.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and MP3Mike
If AP needs AHB to activate then why doesn't it need it 10 seconds later when it apparently lets you turn it back off?

If it doesn't need it 10 seconds later with AP on- why did it need it to turn it on?
Easy: it "prefers" it. That's different from it "needs" it to function. I'll use an analogy. On my camera, when I pop up the flash on my camera (or I leave it popped), it turn on auto flash. I can turn it off manually again in the menu or push down the flash to disable. I can take pictures either way, it's just with the flash on it's easier to get a better exposure on the subjects, especially in low light. However, I can still take a decent picture even without flash on.
.... no?

This isn't a "single thing defaults to on when the car turns on"

This is "You must have thing 1 turned on before you are allowed to turn on thing 2"

This is not a default setting, it's a dependency
It's not a default for the car overall, but I'm saying it's a default for AP. Basically the car defaults are what the car overall "prefers". The AP defaults are what AP "prefers".
I'm not sure of other examples, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking about start-stop hybrids. They all default to turn on start-stop mode when the car turns on, but it allows the user to turn it off for the rest of the trip. That's only possible because the car does not require or depend on start-stop mode to be on to be able to function properly. Rather it's something the manufacturer prefers you use to meet regulatory requirements and reduce idle emissions.
But it DOES require you to have it on to activate AP.

Hence why the current behavior does not make sense.

if it needs it, then it needs it, and being able to turn it off while AP remains on is a bug.

If it doesn't need it, then it shouldn't REQUIRE it to be turned on before you can turn AP on, and THAT is a bug.
Again, you seem to be looking at things as black and white and not seeing there is something in between. Even if looking only at 3 states, there are at least these three:

Required: Activating AP turns on AHB, does not allow you to turn it off at all when AP is on.
Preferred: Activating AP turns on AHB, allows you to turn it off when AP is on.
No Preference: Activating AP does not change AHB state, AHB state is completely independent of AP.

It's only a bug if Tesla didn't intend you to be able to turn it off. If Tesla made this change on purpose (it seems they did), it's a feature, not a bug. If it's a bug, I imagine in future updates it won't let you turn off AHB in AP.

Easy: it "prefers" it. That's different from it "needs" it to function. I'll use an analogy. On my camera, when I pop up the flash on my camera (or I leave it popped), it turn on auto flash. I can turn it off manually again in the menu or push down the flash to disable. I can take pictures either way, it's just with the flash on it's easier to get a better exposure on the subjects, especially in low light. However, I can still take a decent picture even without flash on.

Quick clarification requested from someone with a vision only car.

Does it turn AHB on when you turn on AP? If so then it works as you say, and I withdraw any objection.

Or does it require AHB to already be on and won't let you activate AP without it? Which is how I thought it worked- and would again show the analogy you're suggesting doesn't fit because then it's a requirement to activate, rather than a preference that gets set with AP activation.

Does it turn AHB on when you turn on AP? If so then it works as you say, and I withdraw any objection.

Or does it require AHB to already be on and won't let you activate AP without it? Which is how I thought it worked- and would again show the analogy you're suggesting doesn't fit because then it's a requirement to activate, rather than a preference that gets set with AP activation.

Just updated. Something big worth mentioning is you can also now DISABLE AUTO HIGH BEAMS when autopilot is enabled. It’s a bit clunky (you have to toggle auto high beams on and off) but it works. Wish it stayed that way (it reenables every time you reengage AP). Auto high beams is terrible where I live.

When you enable Autopilot in settings it notifies you that AHB has to be enabled. This is for vision only, which is my new Y. If AP is on and I turn off AHB, AP goes off.

Not at all comparable.
"It's requiring you to have it on to engage AP."

This is just not true. It'll turn it on itself when enabling AP.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Wait, when did Emergency Lane Departure Assist get set back to 'on' for every drive? I thought they let you turn that off permanently after the outcry when they initially introduced it in 2019 and it would always default to on? I have avoided updating since December so I have not been subjected to the latest software settings. I would really hate to be subjected to the lane departure assist again (I have to depart my lane quite a bit from all the construction sites I have to go through, aka all of Pennsylvania).
Not sure, but when I got .18.10 this week the notes said that it can be disabled but will be re-enabled for every new drive.

Is this not the case on radar-bearing cars?

Edit: Photo from release notes

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpeg
    IMG_1866.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 65