Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com website down - new announcement coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was able to login to the site. Seeing the below error on clicking the "Manage" option for my reservation

upload_2018-8-29_18-46-22.png

Right now
hey, what's my car doing on the website?

No. If it were any kind of planned upgrade or announcement, Tesla has a worldwide stock website maintenance or update page saying the website will be back shortly.

This is not that. This is a clear outage for the website as well as lots of network issues as well.

Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

I would not start making up stories about what might change when the site is back up. The answer is nothing, except maybe an apology for the outage.

This thread was meant to be satirical/hopeful, not bashing Tesla at all, but since it is close to the end of August, it would've been a GREAT surprise to see Elon keep his word on v9.0 in August :)

This thread was meant to be satirical/hopeful, not bashing Tesla at all, but since it is close to the end of August, it would've been a GREAT surprise to see Elon keep his word on v9.0 in August :)

Fair enough.. for what it's worth, I didn't take your post as bashing Tesla at all.

It's just that every time the website blips for longer than 10 seconds, or the factory shuts down for scheduled maintenance, or someone sees a huge trash pile at the factory, or Elon puts his left shoe on first instead of his right --- someone posts a "Oh, is there a big 'AP/Model S/X refresh/Model Y/Yadda/Yadda/Yadda' announcement coming? " thread. :rolleyes:

And isn't history any indication? When Tesla does need to make a big announcement, it happens on Elon's Twitter or Instagram feed, not through a website update.

<rant mode on>
And speaking of Tesla website updates, there should be absolutely no need to take the site down for more than, say, a minute to update a site or to switch-over to a new website that's been fully tested, staged, and ready to go at the moment they choose. I've been in the web business myself for 20 years now, and that's what I do, and I'm just one person. Sure, it takes time to set up a separate development/test/staging/production environment, but a company as large as Tesla and with those kinds of resources, they really need to run a better web shop. Yes, I know building and maintaining a website is not their primary, or even secondary mission. I haven't seen it recently, but about a year ago, you could tell they were making small changes/updates on their production server(s) -- especially with respect to the Model 3 design studio.
</rant mode>

So if or when Tesla does (or maybe they have) invested the resources, and if they were to make an announcement on the website, I sure hope there wouldn't be any significant downtime for the update, and it's really nothing more than flipping a switch.

The outage yesterday was a massive failure somewhere in their stack, which may or may not have been in their control (been there, done that, and it's not fun debugging someone else's systems or platforms). So I don't fault them for this outage, except for the fact perhaps they should invest in some DR platforms (web, API, DNS, network, etc) for both the website and the in-car app/API network in case the primary network goes down for whatever reason.

(sorry, this post ended up being a lot longer than I intended).