Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "come to me" kinda sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the "come to me" feature the first time it came out and it seem to work fine. It was in an empty business parking lot, but this parking lot was shaped as a one way road.

But I tried it in a large mall parking lot in the middle of the night, with no cars around, but the Tesla seems to get confused and it doesn't work as I intend it to work. Especially this is an empty parking lot, but a large space with no cars, and no lanes. I go to this late night arcade called Roun1 that has half off and go win arcade tickets there every Friday & Saturday.

And I met some sorta famous YouTubers who mainly do arcade videos, but branch out into other stuff. They're called Arcade Craniacs and they have about 300k followers on there.
Arcade Craniacs

And the guy host has 1 million followers on tiktok. He was super interested in my Tesla and I helped him do a video of him pretending to say "this Tesla follows my voice commands when I say come to me" and he says "come to me" and I engage the sentry mode. At first I tried "come to me" but it wasn't working very well. So I just went back to normal sentry mode (Forward / backward) and just did it that way.

His TikTok is @edwardcentano. My Tesla should be there somewhere. I can't find a link, seems tiktok is easier to use on mobile app than web browser.

I would like the come to me feature to really work, especially when I'm far away and in an empty parking lot with no risks around. But first time I did it, the car went a totally opposite direction. It just wasn't working and gave up, and I wasn't gonna let the thing crash into a curb. Right now this "come to me" feature is just a party trick that doesn't work to well. I hope it can just work, or know in what situations it can actually work. But it seems too risky to be able to rely on it working and where you can let the car come to you.

Autopilot is the only thing I can consider being beyond a party trick. It's the only useful autonomous feature that I can count on and actually take a break from driving. I can eat a burrito / sandwich while driving and not be worried, worst case is that I drop my food and take control if I really have to.

You guys know there's an issue with parking lot mapping? Some are better mapped than others. And some aren't mapped at all, so it's down to GPS and the car figuring out what not to hit. It's actually worked surprisingly well when i've tried it. As long as you don't mind it taking the long one-way around route. There's a way you can edit the map for parking lots you care about. I forget what it's called, somebody will probably pipe in and tell us.