TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Commercial Division

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Clprenz, May 26, 2013.

1. Clprenz

Clprenz Member

Hello all,
    I think in the next coming years, Tesla needs to begin a Commercial Division. Perhaps take on the School Bus companies, or City buses. I think those sectors could easily be taken down, as those cars don't need to travel very far distance. Maybe modular designed so they can carry more batteries if needed or less. I think this would be a great sector for Tesla to gain brand recognition.
    Any thoughts or Developments?

2. dfluker

dfluker Member

I would love to see Tesla partner with Michael Bloomberg to create a new brand focused on taxi, ambulances, police cars and other government focused vehicles. Bloomberg would infuse the necessary capital and would own government doors. It should be separate from Tesla to not dilute the brand.

The New brand should be called 'Elon'

3. constraint

constraint Member

The S and Gen 3 cars will probably make great police, government, taxi and company cars. As for commercial bus I really like what Proterra and Altiarnano are doing with their bus designs provided they can get the cost down. 600kw charging for 5 to 10 minutes during a route is a very appealing proposition for many routes when you add up all the other benefits of Electric buses (sound, soot and fuel).

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

More likely is that Tesla will sell drivetrains (battery and motor) to specialized truck manufacturers. Come on GM, you might as well hop on the bandwagon!

5. Darko

Darko Member

Yeah, taxi fleet would be ideal - also ZipCars.