TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Comparative Performance Numbers Are Greater Than They Appear

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Sep 17, 2016.

1. SDRick

SDRick Member

It has been an interesting phenomenon watching Tesla being compared to many of the performance and supercars of the world. But let's face it, Tesla is not a track or racecar. Anything over 90 or 100 miles an hour and there are plenty of cars that are more competitive.

My opinion though, where the performance numbers are actually understated is in real world, legal (and quasilegal) day to day commuting and common traffic environments. It is one thing to be at a dragstrip, with all the focus and anticipation and a few cars nipping at Tesla's heels. Day-to-day driving is quite another matter along with its inherent lack of predictability.

So unless a supercar drives around town in high revs all of the time (along with the obligatory noise and racket), I believe the discrepancy in lag and performance is even greater than official numbers suggest. As many of you I'm sure have witnessed, by the time ICE even thinks about it the Tesla is on its way to Gone!

Oh, what a feeling!

• Like x 1
  2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

This is true for other electric and electric assist cars too. Without transmission lag and awkward power curves we're given the ability to instantly react to traffic in ways that other types of cars can't.

Yay!

• Love x 1
  3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Agreed. In everyday driving, especially under 60mph, Teslas have no competition.

4. csshih

csshih whirrrr

my only worry is when quick reacting electric cars are more commonplace.. .we're back to hard to avoid accidents from bad drivers. :eek:

5. SDRick

SDRick Member

Hopefully the advances in AP will address some of that as well.