TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla complimented during Microsoft's Windows 10 introduction

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Zaxxon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

During the Win10 announcement event, Joe Belfiore mentioned Tesla in a pretty complimentary way: "We want all these Windows 7 users to have the sentiment that yesterday they were driving a first-generation Prius... and now with Windows 10 it's like a Tesla."

Making ground on entering the public consciousness...

2. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

The "Tesla" of _____

More and more these days I've been seeing Tesla's name used in a way similar to how Cadillac's name has been used in the past to indicate an item is of premium quality: "The Cadillac of Dishwashers" etc. Tesla's name, though, seems to mean "evolution of" instead of simply a premium version.

During their presentation today, a Microsoft exec stated

Tesla has some pretty impressive brand image going for them. I know there have been other instances of this, but couldn't find it offhand.

4. iadbound

iadbound Member

Is it just me, or do you not want Tesla to be associated with the next version of Windows.

5. iadbound

iadbound Member

If Tesla is becoming a household name, that's great for the long run future of the brand. But as I suggested in another thread, I doubt Windows 10 is the Tesla of anything:wink:

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Miller High Life. The Tesla of Beers!

Tesla Model S. The Champagne of Cars!

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Overthinking it. It was a compliment.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They got a dig into the Fisker Karma in that article as well.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

6sYTfH0k08DD6WfVJdOxl1sHiP9nD.jpg

10. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

This could lead to a great thread...

Pimento Cheese - the Tesla of the South
    Tesla Model S - The Caviar of Sedans

and they're off...

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Maybe some day people will say Tesla is the Cadillac of cars :wink:

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I think its an insult the other way around :( At least for me... I hate Windows!!! Its the most unreliable OS I've ever used, period. So anything Windows named or has it as an operating system, I run the other way.

There's a reason why Unix is running on Tesla's.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Ok, I'll bite. Do you have any links to stats on this (2nd sentence)? Clearly (1st and 3rd sentences) you're unbiased, so certainly you'll have some scientific data to back up such an assertion.

14. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Unreliable? I can run Windows 7 for weeks on end nowadays without degradation in performance. That was virtually unheard of in years past. And before you bring up the Mac OS.... what the two operating systems have to accomplish is on completely different scales. Windows supports an unimaginable variety of hardware - most of which is buggy itself - built by god knows how many manufacturers, all arranged into an effectively infinite number of ways, each arrangement creating it's own potential set of hardware & driver conflicts. And, of course, whether the bugs are in the 3rd party hardware or 3rd party drivers, inevitably Windows is blamed. That Windows can run for weeks at end without degradation is nothing short of astounding. Apple, by restricting their hardware, has a far far easier job.

I wouldn't use Windows to run a car either. And I wouldn't take a 787 to the shopping mall. A car O/S needs to be as basic as possible. Windows, by necessity, will never be simple.

And for what it's worth, the only fault with Windows 8 is the absence of something like a conventional start menu - which people make much noise about. In retrospect MS made a few bad decisions there. Other than that, it's every bit as fast and reliable as Windows 7.

15. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Just to be clear...The Model S is running Linux, and while Linux is a Unix like operating system, in no way is it actually branded Unix.

16. deonb

deonb Active Member

Windows 10: Not good enough to be Windows 9...

If you don't know the reference, Windows releases are generally said to be good at the odd numbers (Win3, Win5 (XP), Win7), and bad at the even numbers (NT 4.0, 6.0 (Vista), Win8).

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Or

p7eQQK3.png

18. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

Windows 10 is Windows 9.0 much like Windows Vista is Windows 6.0. Vista and XP aren't even numbers. ;-)

19. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Member

Weeks ? LOL Is that a thing to be proud of ? :biggrin:
    My Linux servers measure uptimes in years -- usually interrupted by major power outages or planned hardware upgrades.

20. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

Technically, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are all 6, making 10 actually 7. Which is an odd number and therefore good! Right? Right?