Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Confirmed: Supercharging Slowed on 2014 Model S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I don't supercharge very often, so this may have been a problem for longer than I realize. Also, sorry for the length of the post, but I have been trying to resolve this issue for a couple of months with no success.

I visited a supercharger back in February for the first time in a few months and was getting a charge rate of only about 50kw and it took about an hour to charge from 30-85%, but I chocked this up to being cold weather (about 35F). At the beginning of March I visited the same supercharger and had a similar issue with good weather (about 65F), but I got up to 60kw this time. I tried different circuits, but had the same issue. When I pulled up, my SOC was about 15% and it took about 75 minutes to charge to 90% even though the car said it needed to charge for 25 minutes. I called customer service and they said nothing was wrong with the supercharger, and they couldn't see issues with my car.

Local service center ran some remote diagnostics on my car and said they couldn't find anything, but that it could have been an issue with that particular supercharger. Their suggestion was to run the battery down and try out a few of the superchargers and urban superchargers around town and let them know if I have the same issue.

I did as they suggested and even called customer support during one of my charging sessions to see if anything was going on that maybe wasn't making it into the data logs. I was informed by customer support that some (not all) of the older cars have been issued a new charging profile to protect the battery's longevity. This was confirmed by the local service center tech this morning. Both people that I talked to said that I shouldn't be seeing a significant difference in charge time. In theory this is fine, but real-world, I am seeing my charging times double or more what the car says they should be.

TL;DR: Two people with Tesla have confirmed they are slowing the charging speeds on some older vehicles.
Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, did you get it resolved?

I tried to find something regarding this issue, but I didn't see anything. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be helpful.
Here is another recent one to give you perspective too. You'll have to wade through a lot of people who are convinced this is not an issue or that you should expect this yada yada.

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

Model S and X using old battery technology, model 3 and so on Y, cyber truck.. using the newer battery tech,
So Ms, Mx can not fast super charger even you try at V3 supercharger still the same.
Model 3 can do really fast charge V3 even faster , but faster means battery die sooner.