Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Confirms 325.000 reservations by now !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, a lot of us made the deposit because we think we want the car. If it turns out that to get the options I want the car costs $65,000 and I'm able to test drive the car and am not suitably impressed then I don't want the car.

Basically I paid $1,000 to hold my spot in line for eventual delivery of a car I may or may not want. I did it because if the car comes out and I do want it, I don't want to wait an extra 2+ years to get it from when production starts.

Some of us are interested in this car simply as a comparison point with other cars that we are interested in. For me, it's going to be in contention with the new S4, the upcoming G20 BMW 3 series model which will be new in late 2018. I understand that some of you who pre-ordered are on a religious crusade to do away with ICE vehicles but many of us who made deposits are not.

I also doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way.
voip-ninja that's why we should all test drive the Model S as a point of reference. Hands down by far, a Tesla electric drivetrain is superior to any ICE vehicle out there. Also, if Part 2 will showcase a huge leap in car tech, which a lot of us in this forum are speculating, that alone may put these doubts to rest!

I'm willing to gamble that even you will want this car, desperately. :D

voip-ninja that's why we should all test drive the Model S as a point of reference. Hands down by far, a Tesla electric drivetrain is superior to any ICE vehicle out there. Also, if Part 2 will showcase a huge leap in car tech, which a lot of us in this forum are speculating, that alone may put these doubts to rest!

Perhaps you are correct!

How can I figure out where I am in the reservation queue with only my reservation # handy?

I agree with the emboldened and I think a significant number of reservation holders with just get a new or CPO Model S after that test drive. Having owned a Model S for 4 months, I cannot imagine waiting for a Model 3 without it.

I wanted to test drive, but I know that the Model S I would REALLLYY want would be twice as much as my model 3 budget. I did not want to waste those poor guys' time. Even though they are right around the corner from me.

I imagine it going something like this :

Me : "Hi! I reserved a model 3. I just wanted to test drive an S"

Tesla dude: "Oh great. Another poor fangirl"

:(

Reactions: Seesaw
I wanted to test drive, but I know that the Model S I would REALLLYY want would be twice as much as my model 3 budget. I did not want to waste those poor guys' time. Even though they are right around the corner from me.

The salespeople I've met are gems and don't seem to think that way. Go do that test drive and report back.

It's interesting, exciting and nothing but positive. But I'm betting on a less than 50% conversion of reservations to orders. They should be a little bit careful about overdoing it.
Remember, there is NO other car that has this range and looks this good.

Tesla has literally bought up more than half of the "cheap" luxury sedan market of united states and possibly Europe.

With that said, I do not find it suprising to see posts like the kind you have here... You still think its not possible, you still think electric vehicles are a little ways off. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. All of these people put One Thousand dollars down! You really think after all that Tesla has been through (neared bankruptcy TWICE, built up nummi factory from nothing, got crap news coverage about teslas catching fire) after all the crap with GM and the EV1, the auto industries banking off of dealerships, dumb cars that have worked the same for 100 years, highest CO2 levels in 13 million years... After all of this, 50%!?
Are you kidding me!?!? People have had it up to hear about gas cars. We can't take it anymore!! Id rather see the oil and gas automobile corporations crash and burn than have tesla succeed! Anyways ...:mad:

I will! If anyone has feedback on the Raleigh, NC office please let me know.

If they're nice then this could be the beginning of a very long relationship
The tesla employees are specifically told to NOT ask you if you are buying the car. Most employees dont own teslas, and so they obviously want to ride in one!! Plus they're not worried because its the safest car on the road.

No, a lot of us made the deposit because we think we want the car. If it turns out that to get the options I want the car costs $65,000 and I'm able to test drive the car and am not suitably impressed then I don't want the car.

Basically I paid $1,000 to hold my spot in line for eventual delivery of a car I may or may not want. I did it because if the car comes out and I do want it, I don't want to wait an extra 2+ years to get it from when production starts.

Some of us are interested in this car simply as a comparison point with other cars that we are interested in. For me, it's going to be in contention with the new S4, the upcoming G20 BMW 3 series model which will be new in late 2018. I understand that some of you who pre-ordered are on a religious crusade to do away with ICE vehicles but many of us who made deposits are not.

I also doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way.

This.

I have know if 13 people who put down deposits. 10 of them fall into this bucket...they put down the deposit for the option to buy this car in a few years.

I think some people forget this forum is not representative of the entire population of 325k...there are a lot of people who are very intrigued by the model 3, enough so to put down a refundable $1000 deposit, but want to see how this plays out and what their transportation options are over the next couple of years.

How can I figure out where I am in the reservation queue with only my reservation # handy
RN are not that granular, with geo-allocation and everything.
So, just look at your date, is it 31, 1, 2, 3..?
You will get an idea how many are infront and behind you.
I'm around -100k, +225k, Europe, so I'm in for a quite a bit of waiting and salivating on YT...

On the contrary, TM encourages us to test drive the MS & MX. This came from their FAQ so you should go for it:

When can I test drive Model 3?

We will provide the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model 3 once we begin production at the end of 2017. In the meantime, we invite you to stop by a Tesla store to experience Model S or Model X.

Remember, there is NO other car that has this range and looks this good.

Tesla has literally bought up more than half of the "cheap" luxury sedan market of united states and possibly Europe.

With that said, I do not find it suprising to see posts like the kind you have here... You still think its not possible, you still think electric vehicles are a little ways off. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. All of these people put One Thousand dollars down! You really think after all that Tesla has been through (neared bankruptcy TWICE, built up nummi factory from nothing, got crap news coverage about teslas catching fire) after all the crap with GM and the EV1, the auto industries banking off of dealerships, dumb cars that have worked the same for 100 years, highest CO2 levels in 13 million years... After all of this, 50%!?
Are you kidding me!?!? People have had it up to hear about gas cars. We can't take it anymore!! Id rather see the oil and gas automobile corporations crash and burn than have tesla succeed! Anyways ...:mad:

Yes, that's exactly what I think. $1,000 isn't much nowadays, and it's 100% refundable just for asking. That's a fairly mild commitment in my books. You've got a mix of speculators in there and people who hope to be able to afford it by then but wont be able to when the time arrives. And you've got some folks who are caught up in the hype but, when reality hits, will realize that an EV isn't going to work because of where they live or how they use it. I own a Model S and to be quite honest, the limitations are such that I couldn't own it as my only car, much as I would like to.

Last edited:

I'm not so sure that you'd get that response. I will bet that there are a fairly significant number of people who have signed up for the Model 3, who test drive an S on a whim, who then get really excited and decide that they can't wait 2-4 years, and who then start looking at Model S 70s or at CPO cars.

Besides... the reps at the showroom are non-commission. And it looks good for Tesla to have a lot of people/excitement around the showroom. I encourage you to go take one for a ride. Now... I think I might tell the rep a slightly different story. I think I might say something along the line of "I've got a 3 on order, but I am seriously considering whether I want to wait 4 years and so I'm thinking about a 70.".

The bigger risk, I would say, is that you might end up turning your white lie into reality. :) My mistake was to take a ride in my friend's P85 - having no intent other than to go for a fun ride. Sure enough, 2 weeks later I was on the Tesla website pushing "Buy" on a P85D! Riding in an S is like a shot of heroin. Be very careful because you might not be able to control what happens next! :)

I'm retired so I have plenty of free time on my hands. I don't live too far from Freemont. As it gets closer to actual production I may start showing up at the employee entrance once a week with a box of donuts with my reservation # written inside the lid & hand them out...nobody said this was fair.:p

I'm willing to subsidize half the cost of said donuts and even coffee if you include my reservation number as well :)

• Funny
Reactions: doublejj

I just scheduled a test drive. i cant resist. I hope they don't get annoyed since i can't afford an S

This.

I have know if 13 people who put down deposits. 10 of them fall into this bucket...they put down the deposit for the option to buy this car in a few years.

I think some people forget this forum is not representative of the entire population of 325k...there are a lot of people who are very intrigued by the model 3, enough so to put down a refundable $1000 deposit, but want to see how this plays out and what their transportation options are over the next couple of years.
fair enough but i do think that the first 115,000 who reserved one sight unseen are more likely bigger fans than the average Joe and will bet that 85% of those will in turn buy the Model 3

Reactions: doublejj