Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, I am not following. You still have a sale tax :)

Right -- so unlike places like Hiran, Somalia or Badakhshan, Afghanistan, local and state governments provide some services that require some revenues. In some states this revenue mostly comes from income taxes, in some states, it mostly comes from sales taxes. Some weirdos in my neck of the woods live in New Hampshire (only has property tax) but work in Massachusetts (has high income taxes that the state will claim even if you "live" out of state) -- they get the worst of all possible worlds except of course there are good jobs in MA and awesome fireworks in NH.

I'm not a fan of taxes, but they'd probably be lower (for my household consisting of, a small business owner / and high wage wage drone) if everyone/thing paid them "properly" instead of some of us paying taxes and some of us paying lobbyists and tax shelters.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Can anyone share their invoice with their personal info stricken/removed? And if possible, if you're in CA? I am still being charged for labor and tax on mine here next Monday and wondering why no one else seems to have the same. PM if better! Thanks a lot

Sure........more than happy to...........
z100.png

I never understood the charge for the replacement nuts. I was charged for 2, I see above a charge for 4. It's what under a buck? Seems like it would take more cost than that to enter it on the invoice. Why not include all parts needed in the upgrade kit? Seems ridiculous.

Then the labor is also hard to understand. No charge for mine in early March at Tyson's.

So what's with that labor "adjustment"? Was that automatic, or did you have to argue for that?

I am really disturbed that being charge for labor separately for the Infotainment Upgrade seems to arbitrary across service centers.
I did not argue about the labor adjustment at all. It was simply on the invoice. They told me the total for the upgrade and I agreed to that total. I saw the adjustment when they sent me the copy of the invoice for my records and I just thought "cool" to myself. I have no explanation.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
"??!" --- put things in perspective of what is going on in our world.

Hmmm, I see what you mean, but, if everything where put into the "correct" perspective, they wouldn't do any upgrades now and they would certainly not start with ap2.5 and mcu1/mcu2 for any upgrades.

The people who have purchased FSD on their ap2.0 MCU1 car is the people who should be first in queue, as they have been "lending" money to Tesla the longest.

So, I understand his reaction, maybe you should put things into perspective?
-some people gets frustrated with the timelines and be first to pay but last to get, and it is understandable for me...

I guess everyone would understand too if something they paid for 4 years ago still hasn't been delivered to them, but they see other people buy the same thing today but get it today.

Still, no matter who comes first, I think it is really nice that they are offering upgrades.

Hmmm, I see what you mean, but, if everything where put into the "correct" perspective, they wouldn't do any upgrades now and they would certainly not start with ap2.5 and mcu1/mcu2 for any upgrades.

The people who have purchased FSD on their ap2.0 MCU1 car is the people who should be first in queue, as they have been "lending" money to Tesla the longest.

So, I understand his reaction, maybe you should put things into perspective?
-some people gets frustrated with the timelines and be first to pay but last to get, and it is understandable for me...

I guess everyone would understand too if something they paid for 4 years ago still hasn't been delivered to them, but they see other people buy the same thing today but get it today.

Still, no matter who comes first, I think it is really nice that they are offering upgrades.

Alternately, PERHAPS they will see the most significant upgrade, by having cameras and/or radar upgraded too.

Tesla didn’t have to make this upgrade available. I’m quite prepared to assume they are working hard to do the best they can to honor the earlier buyers. 2.0 is potentially a bigger upgrade, so I can understand it being later as they need to produce more parts and develop more documentation.

Lets assume the best about Tesla here. I think they’ve earned it.

Alternately, PERHAPS they will see the most significant upgrade, by having cameras and/or radar upgraded too.

Tesla didn’t have to make this upgrade available. I’m quite prepared to assume they are working hard to do the best they can to honor the earlier buyers. 2.0 is potentially a bigger upgrade, so I can understand it being later as they need to produce more parts and develop more documentation.

Lets assume the best about Tesla here. I think they’ve earned it.
I don't think we know if the cameras/radar will be replaced yet (I don't think they will, but we'll see).

What makes you so sure about that?

I thought it was upgraded with the ap/hw3.0 FSD computer, but can't remember reading that they changed cameras?
Cameras were not changed. His sentry videos are definitely from the old AP2.0 filtered cameras, well except for the rear. I guess the rear camera was always full color because of the rearview camera displaying in reverse.

Last edited:
What makes you so sure about that?

I thought it was upgraded with the ap/hw3.0 FSD computer, but can't remember reading that they changed cameras?

I don’t mean it was given hw 2.5, I mean it was almost certainly given a 2.5–>3.0 kit rather than the yet to be released 2.0–>3.0 kit. So where the 2.0 kit might include cameras, the 2.5 kit definitely wouldn’t have them.

You can bet the 2.5–3.0 upgrade kit for a 2019 doesn’t include a new MCU2, for example. Although, yes, I understand there is a pricing difference, but the concept is similar.