Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the confusion. While @verygreen got AP3 working with an MCU1 car, to date Tesla has not offered that as an option. For MCU1/AP2 cars, they have said that an AP2 -> AP3 upgrade will be done in conjunction with an infotainment upgrade (MCU1 -> MCU2 and replacement of the dashboard display to establish same hardware as existing MCU2 cars). They have said that at some point in the future they will offer MCU1/AP2 cars an upgrade to AP3 but no one knows if that will mean you have to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 (at your cost) or something else...what we do know is that the AP2 -> AP3 upgrade WITHOUT upgrading MCU1 -> MCU2 is listed as "at some point in the future" with no definitive timeline....

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Anyone actually been invited yet?
Since I haven''t seen a positive response to your question, the answer would seem to be no.

It is quite an annoyance to me that service centers are handling this so inconsistently—some refusing to perform the upgrade until the owner has received their invitation (and no one appears to after a month), while others simply roll over and do the upgrade merely upon request.

Since I haven''t seen a positive response to your question, the answer would seem to be no.

It is quite an annoyance to me that service centers are handling this so inconsistently—some refusing to perform the upgrade until the owner has received their invitation (and no one appears to after a month), while others simply roll over and do the upgrade merely upon request.

I had this done at the Elston service center in Chicago. $2,500 plus tax. Upgraded my MCU to MCU 2 and i got my FSD computer at the same time (HW3). I had a HW 2.5, MCU 1 and was using Sentry Mode and TeslaCam. Voice commands and other functions on MCU1 in my configuration were almost useless before the upgrade. Since the upgrade, night and day difference! Very pleased, worth the money IMHO.

I had this done at the Elston service center in Chicago. $2,500 plus tax. Upgraded my MCU to MCU 2 and i got my FSD computer at the same time (HW3). I had a HW 2.5, MCU 1 and was using Sentry Mode and TeslaCam. Voice commands and other functions on MCU1 in my configuration were almost useless before the upgrade. Since the upgrade, night and day difference! Very pleased, worth the money IMHO.

I was on the fence, but I’ve caved. Service appointment next week. (Same config: AP2.5).

My Bluetooth has been very spotty, voice commands don’t work at all...It’s been very sluggish for a while now, specifically around this most recent software update. A couple days ago I thought I would need a tow as the MCU wouldn’t boot up at all (and I have pin to drive and park two floors underground without cell service). Miraculously it works again, but I’ve had it. While these are signs of the emmc going out, there’s no way that’s possible on a 2 year old car with 30k miles...is it!?!?

What I don't understand is the part about enhanced driving visualizations in MCU2. Aren't these visualizations necessary for safety of FSD - especially when not all bugs are taken out of the software? So if you have the FSD computer but not the MCU upgrade would it be less safe than with the MCU upgrade?

What I don't understand is the part about enhanced driving visualizations in MCU2. Aren't these visualizations necessary for safety of FSD - especially when not all bugs are taken out of the software? So if you have the FSD computer but not the MCU upgrade would it be less safe than with the MCU upgrade?
Re: underlined
Why do you think that the human UI eye-candy is required (necessary) for the FSD and NN processing? It's cool but it seems to be just a 'feel good' for the user/driver. All the user/driver needs to know is that the steering wheel icon is blue (ie. AP is on) it seems. I'm confused.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Re: underlined
Why do you think that the human UI eye-candy is required (necessary) for the FSD and NN processing? It's cool but it seems to be just a 'feel good' for the user/driver. All the user/driver needs to know is that the steering wheel icon is blue (ie. AP is on) it seems. I'm confused.

Well, I would like to know if the computer recognizes a STOP- sign, traffic light etc. If these things aren't visualized I wouldn't know if the computer knows..

I don't understand the confusion. While @verygreen got AP3 working with an MCU1 car, to date Tesla has not offered that as an option. For MCU1/AP2 cars, they have said that an AP2 -> AP3 upgrade will be done in conjunction with an infotainment upgrade (MCU1 -> MCU2 and replacement of the dashboard display to establish same hardware as existing MCU2 cars). They have said that at some point in the future they will offer MCU1/AP2 cars an upgrade to AP3 but no one knows if that will mean you have to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 (at your cost) or something else...what we do know is that the AP2 -> AP3 upgrade WITHOUT upgrading MCU1 -> MCU2 is listed as "at some point in the future" with no definitive timeline....

*Ahem* Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Now for AP2.5, May for AP2.0.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gt1948
@MarcusMaximus That is true, but only applicable for those who just want to install the HW3 computer. Tesla publicly stated that those who upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and had purchased FSD, would be upgraded first and that timeline is on the infotainment upgrade paged which shows AP2/MCU1 cars are projected in late April with other cars in the "coming soon" status at the bottom.... That page supports what Tesla's original announcement said... AP2/MCU1 cars with FSD will receive both upgrades at once and ahead of the AP2/MCU1 cars that are looking to upgrade either just MCU ("coming soon" on the infotainment upgrade page) or just the AP Hardware ("May" on the FSD computer page you referenced).

Reactions: Gt1948
@MarcusMaximus That is true, but only applicable for those who just want to install the HW3 computer. Tesla publicly stated that those who upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and had purchased FSD, would be upgraded first and that timeline is on the infotainment upgrade paged which shows AP2/MCU1 cars are projected in late April with other cars in the "coming soon" status at the bottom.... That page supports what Tesla's original announcement said... AP2/MCU1 cars with FSD will receive both upgrades at once and ahead of the AP2/MCU1 cars that are looking to upgrade either just MCU ("coming soon" on the infotainment upgrade page) or just the AP Hardware ("May" on the FSD computer page you referenced).

Right, I was referring to this part of your post: “what we do know is that the AP2 -> AP3 upgrade WITHOUT upgrading MCU1 -> MCU2 is listed as "at some point in the future" with no definitive timeline...”

There is a timeline, it’s just later than if you do MCU upgrade at the same time.

March 2018 and earlier = MCU1. HW3 will be complimentary for FSD purchasers who have MCU1 and don't want to upgrade to MCU2
Screenshot_20200406-202003.png

Well, I would like to know if the computer recognizes a STOP- sign, traffic light etc. If these things aren't visualized I wouldn't know if the computer knows..
I would say just like today we know if the car recognized the car in front of us that is stopped at the stoplight (or stopsign). I've been able to judge whether my Tesla 'sees' the other car based on how it is slowing or not slowing down.
For example, I use AP most of the time even on suburban roads that are 35/40/45 and some of 'slight' bends or something that I question in my head if my Tesla 'sees' and understands the car in-my-lane is stopped ahead. I can 'tell'.
Hope that explains.

Reactions: Dutchie
The "FSD preview visualizations" are only a demonstration that the system is detecting new objects.

When Tesla turns on FSD for surface streets, the driver will still be responsible for the operation of the vehicle - so it will be important for the AP system to provide confirmation to the driver that the system has detected traffic conditions so the driver knows, with enough time to react, if the driver should take over control.

The visualizations are tiny - almost impossible to see the state of the traffic lights - especially far enough in advance to confirm the system has detected a red light.

What's more likely is for Tesla to use pop-up messages indicating what the system is planning to do as it approaches a traffic situation (stop sign, stop light, intersection, train tracks, ...). Perhaps something like what is shown in this article.

It's very important for Tesla to provide the driver sufficient information on the FSD system operation to keep liability responsibility with the driver - and not with Tesla.

So I expect that once Tesla deploys the FSD computer to MCU1 vehicles, they will be providing something more useful than the preview visualizations to help the driver monitor operation on surface streets.

Unless Tesla provides a way to add the radio to the Infotainment Upgrade, we'll be keeping our MCU1 when we get the FSD computer.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors