Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome post @rjscoder!

I'm planning on doing the tuner swap anyways, but I've been wondering, if I buy the new digital tuner from Tesla (as it is a non restricted over the counter part) do I need to source the mount adapter from somewhere else or does it look like it comes attached with the new tuner itself?

You still need to buy the mount, it won't come with the $250 tuner from Tesla. Unfortunately I don't know the part for this and could not find it on EPC

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Yup. Make an appointment from the app and if your VIN qualifies they will keep your appointment. If not then they will contact you.

yes as others have said, just book the appt through your app and request the infotainment upgrade if you qualify (you have hw2.5, and purchased FSD).

Just to clarify. Most of us have received an email stating this:
"You'll soon be eligible for the Infotainment Upgrade... We will contact you when the Infotainment Upgrade is available for your car and can be scheduled for purchase and installation from the Tesla app. You won’t be able to purchase the upgrade before then."

So, have any of you who have completed the MCU upgrade received and updated/invitation email? Or have you requested the upgrade without waiting for such invitation? Thanks!

"You'll soon be eligible for the Infotainment Upgrade... We will contact you when the Infotainment Upgrade is available for your car and can be scheduled for purchase and installation from the Tesla app. You won’t be able to purchase the upgrade before then."

So, have any of you who have completed the MCU upgrade received and updated/invitation email? Or have you requested the upgrade without waiting for such invitation? Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to ask !

just request the infotainment upgrade using your app and schedule an appointment. They run your VIN when they triage all the service request and if your VIN qualifies they will keep your appointment. If not they will notify you they can’t do it right now.

For AP2.5 MCU1 cars there is no 'invite'. I got the original email and sent in my appointment request within a couple of hours. I had no problem getting everything done for the first appointment available (two weeks out at that time). Several posts about it (mid March). I have no idea if other combinations are actually getting individual emails or just on the schedule (request an appointment at the stated time).

I know other SC's (not Tyson's) seem to have no clue when people have requested the upgrade even for AP2.5/MCU1; as usual, Tesla internal comms are infuriating.

just request the infotainment upgrade using your app and schedule an appointment. They run your VIN when they triage all the service request and if your VIN qualifies they will keep your appointment. If not they will notify you they can’t do it right now.
Not sure what 'qualifies' means as they said originally it was open for all AP2.5 MCU 1 cars. But that does seem to be the case somehow.

No specific invite for me. I also just booked my appt as soon as I got that first email that you referenced.

Currently, it's only the AP2.5 cars that can be upgraded so the AP2.0 and earlier are still waiting to be eligible.
Right, but my point was people seem to be waiting for a customized invite. Anyone with AP2.5/MCU1 should be able to just make an appt. But not the case with some SC's, as we've seen. No one else should be eligible (unless I'm off on the schedule, hard to keep up....).

Not sure what 'qualifies' means as they said originally it was open for all AP2.5 MCU 1 cars. But that does seem to be the case somehow.
In their new tool (that replaced the Tesla Garage I believe), there is a Notification section. If your VIN is tagged with able to get the Infotainment upgrade, it will appear in this section. This is how they tell you if your Tesla qualifies for the Infotainment upgrade right now.

If it doesn't, they tell you that at this time, your vehicle does not quality for the upgrade. Submit another appointment in about 2 to 4 weeks and see if Tesla has qualified your VIN to get the Infotainment Upgrade.

Now, what actually makes it "qualified" I do not know and they don't either. If it appears they will do it, if it doesn't appear then can't even order the parts.

Reactions: Utahken
In their new tool (that replaced the Tesla Garage I believe), there is a Notification section. If your VIN is tagged with able to get the Infotainment upgrade, it will appear in this section. This is how they tell you if your Tesla qualifies for the Infotainment upgrade right now.

If it doesn't, they tell you that at this time, your vehicle does not quality for the upgrade. Submit another appointment in about 2 to 4 weeks and see if Tesla has qualified your VIN to get the Infotainment Upgrade.

Now, what actually makes it "qualified" I do not know and they don't either. If it appears they will do it, if it doesn't appear then can't even order the parts.
Hm... The original email said 'submit an appointment'. Perhaps it should have said 'and we will tell you if you qualify' lol.

Hm... The original email said 'submit an appointment'. Perhaps it should have said 'and we will tell you if you qualify' lol.

Unfortunately for them to tell you, you need to submit an appointment. Once they get all the tickets they triage each of them, and if you don't quality right now, you should get a text message indicating that you don't and they cancel the appointment.

I know it's sounds weird, but that's what everyone is doing right now. I don't recall reading any posts both here and on the many Facebook groups of anyone actually receiving an email from Tesla.

For my Model S, I booked the appointment right away, and they said it qualifies and I had it done back in mid March.
For my wife's Model X, it still does not quality at this time, but I check every 3 weeks by opening up a service appointment so they can check the VIN for the notification.

Unfortunately for them to tell you, you need to submit an appointment. Once they get all the tickets they triage each of them, and if you don't quality right now, you should get a text message indicating that you don't and they cancel the appointment.

I know it's sounds weird, but that's what everyone is doing right now. I don't recall reading any posts both here and on the many Facebook groups of anyone actually receiving an email from Tesla.

For my Model S, I booked the appointment right away, and they said it qualifies and I had it done back in mid March.
For my wife's Model X, it still does not quality at this time, but I check every 3 weeks by opening up a service appointment so they can check the VIN for the notification.
Excellent, thanks! I think several of us either slipped in at the start, and then they started the qualification (perhaps on the AP3 board), or who knows.

The more evidence we have, the better, thanks again!

I have seen one person report that they got an invitation:

My email was specific:

"Purchase the Infotainment Upgrade today for $2,500 plus applicable tax to add in-car video streaming, Caraoke, additional Tesla Arcade games and future functionality to your Model S touchscreen*.

Schedule an appointment for purchase and installation using the Tesla app. Select 'Accessories' then ‘Upgrades & Installations’ from the Schedule Service menu and enter ‘Infotainment Upgrade’ in the description.

As an owner with Full Self-Driving configured, you'll also receive the complimentary new Full Self-Driving Computer during your installation.

If you don’t purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, we will contact you when the Full Self-Driving Computer is available for your configuration."

When I scheduled I received a confirmation I think almost the next day with the estimate (2500 + tax). They also knew that I received the email invitation at drop off and confirm I was the first one that actually got the invitation they have seen but not the first that got the update. Robotpedlr I think you are the first at the Bellevue SC if you did it there base on the date you posted of your appointment. I was second or third from what the service rep told me.

This can be done by mobile service, right?
The AP3 computer upgrade can be mobile under some circs (non Model 3 because of the cooling?). But the MCU replacement needs to be done at the SC because of the magnitude of the job. I've not heard of one that was mobile.

The Model S/X AP3 computer board swap (only) is supposed to take 30 minutes, but I don't know how many of those have been done 'mobile' at this time, either.

That is NOT a specific invitation, that's what every AP2.5 MCU1 owner got. If they want to call it that, fine, but I call it a marketing email, as it really refers the Tesla infotainment webpage.

You got an email that said "Purchase the Infotainment Upgrade today for $2,500 plus applicable tax..."? That is a different email than the first one announcing that the upgrade was coming. And it doesn't reference the Infotainment web page at all.

You got an email that said "Purchase the Infotainment Upgrade today for $2,500 plus applicable tax..."? That is a different email than the first one announcing that the upgrade was coming. And it doesn't reference the Infotainment web page at all.
Hm, again. I wonder who got that one? Wonder if that was added after the fact? Because I didn't get that one. Really doubt it was because I had an appointment. :D Tesla Comms isn't that organized.

Reactions: boonedocks