TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MurrayJimW, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Pesos?

• Funny x 1
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Because they would most likely be reusing the screen, that is still warrantied, so the cost is $2,250 - $1750 = $500. (And I noted that I was assuming screen re-use in my estimate.)

• Like x 1
  3. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

BRB while i sit in my car for 2 weeks in the garage and tap Random buttoms

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. rking0122

rking0122 Member

So is this confirmed that it would only apply to non-working units? Mine “works” just really slow. And I’m in warranty. Has there been any confirmation from Freemont yet?

• Like x 1
  5. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

I think "confirm" is an awfully strong word given the hearsay being bandied about as if it were fact.

• Like x 2
  6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

people do more for free unlimited supercharging.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Your browser has to pass a speed test to qualify. Grin.

• Funny x 1
  8. rking0122

rking0122 Member

Zero to webpage in ... I'll need to follow-up...

• Funny x 2
  9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

I paid for upgrade and a day later it paid for itself when an 18 wheeler had some tiles drop off the back and pepper my car before I could stop or follow him. I had pulled e video and number of the trucking company and vehicle is getting repaired. And I know mcu1 now has usb cam functionality, yet somehow, I’m not so sure it would be this easy and effortless to get a new paint job

• Like x 8
  10. captjoemcd

captjoemcd Member

The description I heard was “MCU died and is not recoverable”, which to me sounds like this would only apply when the MCU would otherwise qualify for a warranty replacement

• Informative x 1
  11. Falcon_Heavy

Falcon_Heavy Member

Did they replaced urs for $1750?

12. Hovscorpion1

Hovscorpion1 Member

Unless proof can be provided, the official price of the infotainment upgrade is $2,500.

• Like x 1
  13. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Yellow text on a white background? Might as well just not type anything at all.

• Like x 9
  14. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Could not find any official confirmation but hope it’s true even though I was well outside my warranty window when I had my MCU upgraded.

Also of note is this thread: If MCU1 fails under warranty, can MCU2 be negotiated cheaper?

15. captjoemcd

captjoemcd Member

It's not currently the official policy. A Tesla employee told me this when I asked about it for my wife's upgrade coming up on monday based on a PM from a member here, since her 2016 X is under warranty. Her MCU is fine, just slow, and the tesla employee told me:

1. That deal is not currently offered, it was sent out prematurely to SCs and retracted "within an hour" and is currently under review by leadership. It's possible that a couple people have actually received this deal.
    2. It's only for dead MCUs up for replacement under warranty.
    She also asked me:
    3. Where am I getting my information, because I seem to know about things that aren't public yet.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I'm not sure how much of this is supposed to be public info. I'll let others with first-hand experiences share it if they like.

Take it for what it's worth - I've also heard that others have been told the opposite - that it's only for MCU1s that are not dead.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. puresurfr2

puresurfr2 Member

thank you to everybody for the excellent info !!!

17. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

All you have to do is select it with your mouse. A form of 'no spoiler' text. :D

• Funny x 1
  18. Evee

Evee Member

allllllriighty then AP1 car upgraded to mcu2...

Huge upgrade in the frame rate and responsiveness of the instrument cluster, this is a massive thing thats always bugged me since delivery and its only gotten more laggy over time... now the power output etc is actually shown in damn near real time, basically imperceivable lag. Autopilot for example, obviously its functionality isn't better, however seeing the smoothness of the onscreen animation of the blue lines quickly going up the screen, it feels like new again. the ic doesn't struggle to keep with showing the cars on screen etc, same design but overall far better graphical performance. Also when you touch the scroll wheels something instantly happens on the screen so you are not doing those extra scrolls for the ones it was too overwhelmed to notice lol.

Also the sound is better, not like game changer, but its clearly "better" than before.

The games and entertainment is cool too, Tesla needs an option to put this stuff on the IC screen and leave the other screen up so we can mess around while stuff is playing etc....

overall STOKED. Get it.

• Like x 13
    • Informative x 3
  19. Evee

Evee Member

also another thing this fixed is that random part of the orange power gauge that would disappear off the top that big chunk, that is gone with the new mcu2...

20. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member

Awesome feedback!

I'm looking forward to getting this upgrade on my 2015 P85D too!

Questions:
    1. How did you order it?
      • Tesla app (Service)?
      • If so, what category?
      • Any special notes in your service?
    2. How long was the wait for the parts?
    3. How long did the installation take?
    4. Any "downside" issues to the MCU2 upgrade besides AM FM & Sirius (which I don't use)?

• Like x 2