Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the only thing I could see! On full blast no less! ;)
Haha. I must have flipped on by accident.
I think that is perspective. The screen is angled towards the driver. Check if the other angle shows a similar black edge to the screen.
It's definitely fine from the passenger side, but from the driver's side it is very noticeable. Unfortunately, that's where I am sitting all the time!
I think I just have to suck it up until the screen craps out, just like the ghosting windshield.

Last update for my upgrade: finally got all the everything downloaded and did a late evening spin around the city the same day I picked it up. The stop sign and stoplight functionality is a little weird but it could become intuitive after getting used to it. I'll post my detailed thoughts of the new FSD features this unlocks in a more relevant AP/firmware thread.

Ultimately, it took the one failed (sort of) update to 2020.28, plus the actual update to 2020.32.3, plus a games update, plus a maps update *and* a full reboot ("power off", wait 3 minutes) before all the features were active. This was on top of regular camera calibration (which took about 15 min/10 miles of driving) and the additional camera calibration (which stayed at 99% from when the initial calibration finished until about another 25 min/10 miles of driving).

Mar 2018 MX100D. MCU1 AP2.5 FSD. I travel between MA and FL and have been trying since February to get the Infotainment upgrade. First in Central FL and they wouldn't even order the parts. In the beginning of July I made an appointment in MA where they finally put in an order for the parts, but I get weekly updates saying the parts aren't in yet. I have been pushing the appointment out 2 weeks at a time, and still receive a weekly update "waiting for parts". Now scheduled for a month from now. I am not sure whether I should cancel that and make another as referenced in this thread and try the FL SC's or just keep waiting. Why do people who have ordered this 2 months ago not getting it, while people that ordered it 2 weeks ago are having it installed? Any suggestions?

Mar 2018 MX100D. MCU1 AP2.5 FSD. I travel between MA and FL and have been trying since February to get the Infotainment upgrade. First in Central FL and they wouldn't even order the parts. In the beginning of July I made an appointment in MA where they finally put in an order for the parts, but I get weekly updates saying the parts aren't in yet. I have been pushing the appointment out 2 weeks at a time, and still receive a weekly update "waiting for parts". Now scheduled for a month from now. I am not sure whether I should cancel that and make another as referenced in this thread and try the FL SC's or just keep waiting. Why do people who have ordered this 2 months ago not getting it, while people that ordered it 2 weeks ago are having it installed? Any suggestions?

Its very random. Tesla has no unity among its SC. Same reason some SCs don't give loaners anymore but some do

Reactions: Les236
I just posted a full review video and side-by-side comparison of my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade (filmed in 4K 60 fps). I compare the interface speed, maps and navigation speeds and more, as well as all of the added features and functions we get with the upgrade.

Wow, what a huge difference! My enjoyment of the car has improved dramatically and the upgrade has exceeded my expectations! Check it out below:

same here dad never sleeps after upgrade. Also I hear the HV contractors engage exactly every 17 minutes.
It's strange, I seem to be having the opposite problem after my MCU2 upgrade. The car goes to sleep all the time now, even after a mere hour after driving, and it takes upwards of 30+ seconds for the app to reconnect. It's quite annoying. This is the main issue I'm having after the MCU upgrade but I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Also, I can't honk my horn via the app but all of the other functions seem to work.

I just posted a full review video and side-by-side comparison of my MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade (filmed in 4K 60 fps). I compare the interface speed, maps and navigation speeds and more, as well as all of the added features and functions we get with the upgrade.

Wow, what a huge difference! My enjoyment of the car has improved dramatically and the upgrade has exceeded my expectations! Check it out below:

Lmao 9 minutes to plan a nav route

It's strange, I seem to be having the opposite problem after my MCU2 upgrade. The car goes to sleep all the time now, even after a mere hour after driving, and it takes upwards of 30+ seconds for the app to reconnect. It's quite annoying.

Same here. I think this is just "how it is" with MCU2 cars, as all of the prior energy savings and "always connected" settings are gone now.

That said the car definitely gets its naps in and I've noticed no increased vampire drain - recently sat unplugged for 4 days and only lost 1%.

Reactions: Michelx
Lmao 9 minutes to plan a nav route
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. To be fair, it does a lot more calculations than a typical nav system would, in order to calculate the battery range based on elevation and other factors in addition to charging times, but A Better Route Planner can do it in only 18 seconds (with an alternate route) so I'm not sure why even the faster MCU takes so long.

Reactions: cicob and scottf200
Same here. I think this is just "how it is" with MCU2 cars, as all of the prior energy savings and "always connected" settings are gone now.

That said the car definitely gets its naps in and I've noticed no increased vampire drain - recently sat unplugged for 4 days and only lost 1%.

did you have the always connected toggled ON or OFF before your upgrade ? I’m wondering if somehow the setting sticks when settings are transferred over during the MCU2 upgrade even though there’s no option for it now. My car has never entered deep sleep since the upgrade a few weeks ago. I had always connected set to ON in my MCU1 prior to upgrade.

did you have the always connected toggled ON or OFF before your upgrade ? I’m wondering if somehow the setting sticks when settings are transferred over during the MCU2 upgrade even though there’s no option for it now. My car has never entered deep sleep since the upgrade a few weeks ago. I had always connected set to ON in my MCU1 prior to upgrade.
You might also check the Summon Standby Mode setting to see if it is enabled. We had two cars upgraded to AP3 and one of them had Summon Standby Mode enabled until we noticed it yesterday and turned it off.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors

I used to have it ON.

I think the setting is just gone because the power saving features in the Intel hardware are completely different.

Still waiting on my upgrade from 8 June, getting pretty frustrated and to make matters worse I'm starting to get video corruption on my MCU-1.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-A
Order Date: June 8, 2020
Ship Date: Pending

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
My flash memory in my MC1 has been dying since 2019 when I got my last update (all updates since fail at 10% requiring a re-boot).
I booked a service to get the MCU1 to MCU2 service or pehaps better yet the new Nvidia card to replace the one in MCU1 but a consequent SMS informed me neither was available in Australia. Nothing to say if the service guy would still turn up (which would have been pointless). On the 'how did you enjoy your service experience' I gave them one star and explained why. I'm guessing the single star prompted them to phone me where I actually got to talk to a service person who cancelled the service visit for me.
Just waiting for my 2015 Model S to become undrivable (I have not had any navigation capability for months now).

Last edited:
My flash memory in my MC1 has been dying since 2019 when I got my last update (all updates since fail at 10% requiring a re-boot).
I booked a service to get the MCU1 to MCU2 service or pehaps better yet the new Nvidia card to replace the one in MCU1 but a consequent SMS informed me neither was available in Australia. Nothing to say if the service guy would still turn up (which would have been pointless). On the 'how did you enjoy your service experience' I gave them one star and explained why. I'm guessing the single star prompted them to phone me where I actually got to talk to a service person who cancelled the service visit for me.
Just waiting for my 2015 Model S to become undrivable (I have not had any navigation capability for months now).
Is there another SC you can talk to? Something doesn’t seem right if they can’t fix it for you even if you have corruption and Nav doesn’t work.