Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms Model 3 will have less than 60kWh battery option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool or not, it is a violation of forum rules (see last section about copyright) and copyright law. It is also disrespectful to the article author.
Forum Rules
in the Internet era, also means they don't get to count your click and their advertisers do not get to show you poorly chosen crap based on your last search or merchandise you've already bought or click bait for naked celebs or how to lose 100 pounds. A good compromise is quote the salient points and attribute the source. :)

Reactions: Red Sage
in the Internet era, also means they don't get to count your click and their advertisers do not get to show you poorly chosen crap based on your last search or merchandise you've already bought or click bait for naked celebs or how to lose 100 pounds. A good compromise is quote the salient points and attribute the source. :)
Where did THIS come from? context? what am I supposed to do with it?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silvwarrior
There might be some efficiency gains on the horizon. BMW claims that the 2017 i3 will have 50% more range with the same 22kWh battery:

BMW To Improve i3 Drivetrain Efficiency For Slight Bump In Range

New battery will increase BMW i3's range

"According to Autocark, the new i3 is rumored to take advantage of an “optimised driveline” that draws on battery efficiency gains developed since its launch in 2013. The report mentions that the new battery pack will feature the same 22kWh (18.7kWh usable) capacity but with a higher power density. If that’s technologically possible, we’ll let the engineers on here chime in."

A 55kwh pack with 215 mile range breaks down to about 3.91 mi/kWh.

If tesla decides to reach 300 miles of range with the upgraded pack, they would need a 75-80 kWh pack depending on how much the extra weight reduces some range.

If the total pack (with cooling and all) is $190 per kWh then the 75 and 80 kWh pack will be $14,250 and $15,200 respectively (possibly lower depending on fixed costs).

$7,500 for the upgraded pack sounds doable. Especially considering pack prices will continue to drop as we approach Model 3 production.
Elon tweeted that it would cost the buyer less than $5k to get the upgraded battery pack. I highly doubt Tesla would eat the remaining $2500.

There might be some efficiency gains on the horizon. BMW claims that the 2017 i3 will have 50% more range with the same 22kWh battery:

BMW To Improve i3 Drivetrain Efficiency For Slight Bump In Range

New battery will increase BMW i3's range

"According to Autocark, the new i3 is rumored to take advantage of an “optimised driveline” that draws on battery efficiency gains developed since its launch in 2013. The report mentions that the new battery pack will feature the same 22kWh (18.7kWh usable) capacity but with a higher power density. If that’s technologically possible, we’ll let the engineers on here chime in."
I don't understand. 22 is 22. If there's more density, they made the 22 smaller/lighter. Can't get 50% out of that. Maybe some from inverter, other weight loss, aero??? But 50% without more kWh? Not plausible. I suspect another journalist misinterpreting.

I don't understand. 22 is 22. If there's more density, they made the 22 smaller/lighter. Can't get 50% out of that. Maybe some from inverter, other weight loss, aero??? But 50% without more kWh? Not plausible. I suspect another journalist misinterpreting.

I agree. However, there's mention of driveline efficiency improvements and that's where I think the extra range comes in. My point is that there might be a breakthrough in efficiency that will help Tesla achieve greater range out of the same amount of kWh.

Model S over the years since introduction has added a lot of features, which significantly improved the value proposition.

As an example I have 2013 P85+ with all options available at the time except the child seats, with the price of $117K. The closest match performance wise would be 90D, which with all options, except the seats costs $3 less - $114K.

So 90D today has comparable performance to my P85+ for $3K less, while adding a lot of features listed below (the list is pretty long and I probably forgot to list some). The 2016 90D is much better value than 2013 P85+
  • Dual motor AWD
  • extra 5kWh of battery capacity and 29 miles of range
  • Autopilot safety features
  • Autopilot convenience features
  • New generation seats
  • Full LED headlights
  • Dynamic LED fog lights
  • Power folding mirrors
  • LTE connectivity
  • HEPA filtration
  • Center console
  • Subzero weather package

I realize that the overall value of the Model S has increased over the years as far as features go, which is why I was specifically talking about the battery upgrade option.

Unless I'm misinformed, that option consists only a larger capacity battery for $12k on the Model S. My question was more or less wondering whether that price would ever go down, or would the size difference in the option be increased for that price as cost per kWh goes down. Of course based on your answer, money made off the battery option could be used on additional features for the car overall. But not everyone buys the larger battery... Of course I could be thinking way too into the weeds regarding this, but I'm just thinking aloud for discussion.

As a prospective Model 3 buyer, I'm still mostly interested in the price of the battery option for the Model 3 based on the information in this topic, but it still made me think about the S.

I sincerely doubt a 55 kWh or smaller battery will be sufficient to both meet the performance targets, while also achieving the needed range. Awesome if it turns out I'm wrong as a result of improved chemistry, better power electronics, smaller aerodynamic profile, lower mass, etc. But I honestly believe that 60 kWh should be the bare minimum and that 70 kWh would be best as the base capacity for Model ☰.

Some of us have been saying for years that the 3 wouldn't need a 60kWh pack to achieve the desired range, so it's not surprising that Tesla agrees with us. The math has always been there.

The real question is how come the S doesn't get over 350 miles accounting for its weight and a 90kWh pack

Different battery chemistries/energy densities.

The Model 3 pack will be different than the current packs in the S and X.

When the Gigafactory goes online, it's not entirely inconceivable that the S and X get to take advantage of the new battery technology as well.

Reactions: Red Sage
I got a lot of push back from several members here when I predicted a 55KWh pack in the base Model 3. The popular argument being made was that Model 3 SHOULD have at least 60KWh since the Bolt has one as well. Makes no sense to me. Anyway, my bet is still on 55KWh with an EPA rated range of 220 miles.