Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla continues to list price with gas savings/incentives and offer odd bundles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was fast. This was not the case when I made my prior post.
There are still inconsistencies with Homelink packaging. If you look at the Specs page, it lists Homelink under Premium Package. However, if you look at the Design Studio it lists it as standard equipment. I think it's been this way since the updates were made this morning. I would guess it's intended to be standard, as it's primarily a software feature and everything else in the Premium Package is hardware related.

Totally agreed, they need transparency on the pricing, not this TCO fluff. Sure, put in an optional TCO tab, but just be straight with us...if we wanted otherwise, we have plenty of Dealerships for that.

And totally agreed on the bundling of the liftgate and lighting options with the alcantara. Break those up already. When I toured the factory, the big stress was how nimble the robots were, and how different configs could be done on the same line at the same time, even RHD cars interspersed. So you can't simultaneously tell me that the bundling is required to increase production efficiency. PS, I have a degree in Industrial Engineering, and I thought your production efficiency was pretty darned brilliant, and appreciated how it was being monitored in real time.

Last edited:
Pre-installed or packaged option-sets are a dealership thing. Allowing the customer to choose an option like the liftgate for maybe $1500 or 2000 versus a packaged deal seems more appropriate. JakeP's response is pretty good.

Tesla also uses very round numbers for options. 2500, 3000, 5000 and so on. This make it easy to read but a little suspect in terms of "just how much value are we getting for these round numbers". It kind of says to me that the options are "rounded up for better profits" (on said options).

I agree With other posters here. These bundles need to go, or at least make it so that in addition to any bundles it's possible to order each single type of option on it's own. Sure, if you want to create a "premium package" for 5k then go ahead, but also please break it down and give med the option of buying powered lift gate without lighting, for example. This is silly. I believe Tesla will change it soon enough.

I tweeted EM and TM asked them where my gas savings are going to come from since I already drive and EV. Bogus amounts such as "Gas Savings" have no business being in the pricing scheme especially since they are so arbitrary. I honestly expect better from Tesla and hope they will change this.

I am having a hard time convincing myself that I would save $10k of gas over 5 years.. I did calculation for my honda odyssey and it comes out the followings..
Annual Milages 12000 miles
Car MPG 21 mpg
Annual Gas 571.43 gallons
Gas Price $3.50 per gallon
Total Annual Gas $2,000.00 dollars
For 5 years, I would save $10k, but how about electricity?

I guess I am in CA and using $0.04 per mile.
Electric Per Mile $0.04 per mile
Total Annual Electric $480.00 dollars
For years, it would cost me $2400.

So my net saving would be $7600.. hm..

I am having a hard time convincing myself that I would save $10k of gas over 5 years.. I did calculation for my honda odyssey and it comes out the followings..
Annual Milages 12000 miles
Car MPG 21 mpg
Annual Gas 571.43 gallons
Gas Price $3.50 per gallon
Total Annual Gas $2,000.00 dollars
For 5 years, I would save $10k, but how about electricity?

I guess I am in CA and using $0.04 per mile.
Electric Per Mile $0.04 per mile
Total Annual Electric $480.00 dollars
For years, it would cost me $2400.

So my net saving would be $7600.. hm..

Here are Tesla's assumptions:

Gasoline savings over time assumes a driving distance of 10,000 - 15,000 miles per year for five years, $3.90 per gallon for premium gasoline and a fuel efficiency of 20 miles per gallon. The cost of electricity is assumed at $0.12 per kilowatt hour with ten percent of charging on Tesla’s Supercharger network enabling free long-distance travel.

In my case, I get a lot less than 10% of my power from superchargers, and my electricity costs 16-18 cents/kWh, depending on season (and those are the super off-peak rates on my time-of-use plan).

They don't say what Wh/mile they are using, but I suspect I use a lot more energy per mile, too.

Doesn't Tesla still list 'Cash Price' without gas savings and incentives to the right directly below that amount?

Yes, but people have to move their eyes to get there. Someone needs to implement a web site auto-pilot to push the eyes directly to the actual pricing.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are Tesla's assumptions:
They don't say what Wh/mile they are using, but I suspect I use a lot more energy per mile, too.

Yes they do. Scroll down the page to the bottom of the Design Studio.
Look under "Gasoline Savings".
- based on $3.90/gallon in a 20mpg car for 15,000 miles a year
- based on .12/kWh delivered electricity (however, do they factor in charging-losses from the grid as well? Takes more than 95 kWh to refill an 85)

I personally have .17/kWh and premium here is $2.95 or lower.

1 year of 3.90 gas is $2,925 for 15,000 miles
15,000 miles on an EV at .12/kWh is about $600 (plus charging losses).
Annual savings $2,325. Five years is $11,625 or about 10,000

In my neighborhood, 2.90 gas and .17/kWh
$2175/yr gas
$850/yr elec.
$6625 savings over 5 yr

If you have solar and an EV - you are basically fueling at home and the ratio of savings grows, making ROI of a Solar PV array somewhat shorter.

Last edited:
I quoted that section in my message. Where does is give their Wh/mile assumption? It only gives their price for energy assumption.

There is very little "guidance" from any auto maker in terms of kWh per mile - but a rough number is either 3 miles per kWh or slightly less. For almost any EV driving in a steady-state. If you are doing green-light launches or going up steep hills, it is less. Some people have gotten 200 or less miles out of an 85 pack going, something like 85 mph, on the highway. Others going 40 mph down country roads - well over 260 miles.

The gas computation in the USA is not that strong. But in Europe, if a country has .20/kWh electric and $8.00 gallon gas, works out great. Even better in Quebec, about .07/kWh and $4.50 gasoline. Pretty good ratio. Live near a supercharger? Great compare.

mod note: Updated title to be more descriptive of thread content
Dave, maybe it's more descriptive but the point of my title was that Tesla is acting like a sleazy car dealer when they show the headline car price with "gas savings". It doesn't help when we're trying to differentiate the Tesla sales model from the franchised dealer model. Tesla needs to keep the high ground and not stoop to their level.

As for the Power Liftgate now being bundled with Alcanntara I think sooner or later they will either have to move the Liftgate out of the Premium Package or charge something more reasonable for the Premium Interior Package. IMHO $2,500 would be a fair price for the Premium Interior. Especially considering that cars with the pano roof hardly have much surface area being covered by Alcantara anyway as the roof is all glass!
Agree this is way too expensive for what you are getting unless it also included leather. The power liftgate should be included in the base price of the car for safety reasons. It should not cost $5000 to get this option which for shorter individuals may be a requirement not being able to reach the open hatch.

Last edited:
Dave, maybe it's more descriptive but the point of my title was that Tesla is acting like a sleazy car dealer when they show the headline car price with "gas savings". It doesn't help when we're trying to differentiate the Tesla sales model from the franchised dealer model. Tesla needs to keep the high ground and not stoop to their level.

You can call me naive, but I do not think the intention was to mislead the way the franchise dealers do. I think they were attempting to reach non-EV owners and wanted them to consider that the upfront costs would be partially offset by the savings on gas. I think this was a poor assumption. many folks already own Ev's, and most folks consider both upfront costs and ongoing cost when making large purchases. I think this was just a poor business decision, which I would bet will be changed shortly. (Again, I point out they used this tool when they first released leasing program, then removed gas saving default in calculator, and Elon spoke about trejo ing this default during a quarterly conference call a while back).

It is actually the fact that I do hold Tesla to a higher standard and have followed them closely enough and long enough to know that they do make mistakes, but the also address those, and Elon does believe in putting customers first.

i think someone in product marketing made a bad business decision, but to me that does not justify calling them sleezy.

Perhaps it has something to do with world view. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions. Mind you, I do have a temper, but I personally don't feel the need to equate one of the most customer centric car companies that produces one (and some would say arguably the best) car in the world with sleazy car dealers because of one poor decision on a webpage the first day of a product release.

as for the title of this thread, I hold that descriptive titles are in general better in all cases on this forum. It allows us to know in advance which threads we want to participate in.

I respect that you feel strongly, and I respect your right to discuss this here. Never intended any censorship. Just trying to point out how unhelpful any type of emotive titles are in the context of this forum. In fact, I support descriptive titles, with detailed (often emotional) discussions following, just not in the title.

For what it's worth I explained this to a couple of non EV enthusiasts this evening and they both used the word "sleazy" to express their opinion on this matter so I agree with the OP with how he named the thread. Something is wrong when you see a "teaser" price of $57,500 for the S70D but when you try to buy it, oh no, it is actually $75,000.

IMHO Tesla did themselves a huge disservice with the pricing that some people are calling sleazy and then then the whole mess with moving the lift gate closer to the "$5,000 Alcantara Package" was also a bad idea. The good thing is that they can both be fixed very quickly by listing the actual price of the car as they should have from the beginning and either reducing the cost of the Alcantara Package to something like $2,500 or moving the power lift gate out of that package.

You can call me naive, but I do not think the intention was to mislead the way the franchise dealers do. I think they were attempting to reach non-EV owners and wanted them to consider that the upfront costs would be partially offset by the savings on gas. I think this was a poor assumption. many folks already own Ev's, and most folks consider both upfront costs and ongoing cost when making large purchases. I think this was just a poor business decision, which I would bet will be changed shortly. (Again, I point out they used this tool when they first released leasing program, then removed gas saving default in calculator, and Elon spoke about trejo ing this default during a quarterly conference call a while back).

It is actually the fact that I do hold Tesla to a higher standard and have followed them closely enough and long enough to know that they do make mistakes, but the also address those, and Elon does believe in putting customers first.

i think someone in product marketing made a bad business decision, but to me that does not justify calling them sleezy.

Perhaps it has something to do with world view. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions. Mind you, I do have a temper, but I personally don't feel the need to equate one of the most customer centric car companies that produces one (and some would say arguably the best) car in the world with sleazy car dealers because of one poor decision on a webpage the first day of a product release.

as for the title of this thread, I hold that descriptive titles are in general better in all cases on this forum. It allows us to know in advance which threads we want to participate in.

I respect that you feel strongly, and I respect your right to discuss this here. Never intended any censorship. Just trying to point out how unhelpful any type of emotive titles are in the context of this forum. In fact, I support descriptive titles, with detailed (often emotional) discussions following, just not in the title.