Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla control app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone downloaded the tesla control app? I've just downloaded the app im connected to my car its working. But there is one problem I'm having with it. As I go to the settings and then to detailed Information it gives me the specs of my car. And theres a couple specs that says no like on
performance : NO
AWD : NO

I'm just concerned because I've read that TESLA has control over the cars settings and i find this out. I just need to confirm it with other tesla owners first before I make a complaint.

Download the app and check it out
TESLA CONTROL.
Let me know if everything is ok with the information you get or not. Thanks

Any third party app uses an unofficial API that is not documented, certainly not supported by Tesla, and actual operation is a best effort test, verify, and repeat. If you go to your service center with the output of an app pulling from an unofficial source, they will (hopefully) respectfully tell you to pound sand.

The API call they are making for the options is known to be unreliable and I wouldn’t count on anything it returns.
Option Codes

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
If this is a 3rd party app why doesnt ask to create an account? Already it asks for email and password and when I log in just about all the information of my car is there except for performance : NO
AWD : NO
spoiler : NO ( not worried about this )
But every other information about my car its there. Like the paint color and paint code. My vin # wheel type playfab ID firmware.
So this 3rd party app its possibke that they can gain access to anyone's car change settings and basically mess around with my car?

If this is a 3rd party app why doesnt ask to create an account?
I haven't used this specific app, but from their website, it appears it asks for your Tesla username and password (which many, including me, feel you should never give a third party) to obtain the token (which should be used but self generated) which it then stores.

The app then uses this token to query the Tesla undocumented and unsupported API. If you read the link above about the API, it even says the options command is unreliable and should not be used. So while it may be right for some things like your VIN and paint color, even right about many options, it's obviously not right about all of them but none of that makes any difference since this is an unsupported and undocumented API call. Tesla has no incentive to make it correct or to fix it if you went to them. In the end, it's just a db and has no bearing on what your car has or doesn't have.

So this 3rd party app its possibke that they can gain access to anyone's car change settings and basically mess around with my car?
An app gains access to your car only because you gave them your Tesla username and password in the beginning to authenticate and get that token. Anyone with that token...yes...can retrieve anything from the API, including sending commands like vent windows, honk horn, start charging, etc. The remote start command needs the password in addition to the token to execute so at least they cannot steal it (unless you also gave them the uname and pwd). Anytime you are using a 3rd party app, you need to trust that vendor not to do such foolery. Most developers you can trust, and I would think this one as well, but certainly be careful and sensible about what information you give. That's why I prefer the ones that allow me to generate my own token instead of giving them uname : pwd combos.

Last edited:
I was using the Tesla Control app - on Windows - to query my car. Liked it. I won't work now. It
asks for my Tesla user info (so it can access the car) and fails. I know I have typed the password
correctly. I think it went south with the recent (Jan) update to Win 11. Hasn't worked for several
days.
I deleted the app and went to download and reinstall - "not available". Anyone know what's
going on with it?
- Jim